Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been busy studying VROD's the past couple of weeks and seems like every bike I sit on seats just a little differently as far as rider comfort.

We'll focus on '08 & '09 Models here.

I am looking for a bike w/ forward foot controls and sits you up in a more traditional upright cruiser position (my days of leaning over the tank are over ;) )

It appears the "A" model and Night Rod Special is designed for this, and the Muscle requires you to lean over a little.

IS this correct or do the bikes have any possible modifications to the risers or bars that I am unaware of? I am trying to avoid doing this to my new bike if possible.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
precoislen... Good to have you here. The A model has the stock ergos you're looking for. The NRS comes stock with drag bars causing one to lean forward. Of course, you can swap the bars out for a more upright sitting position, and more than a few do this.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
The AW model is the most traditional seating setup. Forward controls and the handlebars are the closest to a cruising setup. The Night Rod Special has forward controls but comes with "drag bars" nearly straight across. The Muscle does require a bit of forward lean.

You can easily change the handlebars out on the Night Rod Special as I did. So depending on your color preference either one is fine.VRSCAW or VRSCDX. The Muscle (VRSCF) has a new two piece handle bar setup that could be swapped out too but I havent seen it done yet.

Here is mine with the handle bars changed out.

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Buy a holdover R from your dealer. He will make you a great deal and kiss you on the way out the door.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,504 Posts
They have a "reach" replacement seat that puts you a couple of inches further forward, the Sundowner seat I got seems even closer, and there are "reach" handlebars that move them back a little.

I'm afraid I wouldn't want an "R" if they were giving them away.

·
COB
1,984 Posts
I'm afraid I wouldn't want an "R" if they were giving them away.
That's coz you are a crusty old fart and afraid of modern technology. I would take a bunch of them and make scale some bitchen ATVs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
EZE your wind screen

Just got mine a few days ago and it has to go down as the best Harley $ I have ever spend. It fits the Rod perfectly and the various adjustments just about cover all the angles.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Yea KC I do like it quite a bit myself. Not a clear plastic wall sheilding me from the experience but keeps the wind from trying to push my body off the bike allowing much more riding in between stops.

Heavy duty construction too.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,504 Posts
Have you got another view of that windshield? Front?

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Here you go. Best I got right now. Thats my EZPASS for the tolls mounted on the shield for road trips.

·
its rusting
429 Posts
that reminds me, i still have my EZpass tag in my truck... last time it was tolled was at Baltimore in 2005...

·
its rusting
429 Posts
back on topic, i sat on a DX today, and its handlebars are a long reach -- i can understand why they are often switched out. forward controls seemed a little too far for me, at 66.5 inches tall. i also sat on an 02 A equipped with a sundowner seat and i felt more compressed with the pullback of the bars but i easily could operate the foot controls

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,504 Posts
That's basically the same windshield I have, the fork mounted standoff posts, and handlebar mounted struts, and the rubber grommets in the glass that allow adjustments to the angle. Just a different cut out on the lexan.

If anybody should have this type of windshield, I found an odd source of an essential component, the windshield struts. After putting the "reach" handlebars on, I couldn't stand the angle, until I found longer struts from Pingel.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Handlebars

The AW model is the most traditional seating setup. Forward controls and the handlebars are the closest to a cruising setup. The Night Rod Special has forward controls but comes with "drag bars" nearly straight across. The Muscle does require a bit of forward lean.

You can easily change the handlebars out on the Night Rod Special as I did. So depending on your color preference either one is fine.VRSCAW or VRSCDX. The Muscle (VRSCF) has a new two piece handle bar setup that could be swapped out too but I havent seen it done yet.

Here is mine with the handle bars changed out.

I have an 09 NightRod Special - will the handle bars from a VRSCAW bolt on without brake line and throttle cable issues? I am looking for a more straight up riding position.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
A bars will most likely require throttle and idle cables and front brake lines and there is quite a bit of slack on the clutch line. I swapped out to B or D bars without the need replacing anything.

·
"Ain't quite right"™
11,255 Posts
Hrm, I swapped my bars out with ones that have no rise at all...

Guess I'm just ass-backwards again....sweet!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here's a side view while I look for a front view.

hey eze rider, im new to this forum and i got here by looking for windshields for my night rod. i like the look of yours. a few questions for ya if you have the time. now im getting older but love my '08 and what she can do but with such a lower windshield do you actually recognize a benefit from it. on my longer rides especially on the highways im tired of getting beat on by the wind. im sure you understand. is that shield an after market? is it a "quick connect?" what did it run ya? also your exhaust...i like the look of that matte black. what did you go with? how do they sound? any input from ya would be appreciated.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Welcome spud, If you get a chance introduce your self in the "New to the community" section. We could use a few more vrodders.

The windshield is a Harley Compact Mid Sport Windshield and like most things Harley it's expensive but it's the best quality windshield around. Twice as thick Lexan as cheaper brands and first rate hardware.

They named it a "Mid Sport" windshield because it only comes up to my chest, leaving my head well above the top of the windshield. This configuration allows me to cruise at highway speeds without the force of the wind pressing on my body causing me to have to hold on to the handlebars with more force allowing me many more miles between stops.

The bad news is if your not wearing a full face helmet, you might experience some head buffeting over about 65 or 70 mph. There is some leeway in the way it is mounted allowing for some windshield angle adjustment to minimize the buffeting effects.

Over all I recommend it and have had it on the bike for years and intend on keeping it on.

·
Registered
290 Posts
This is a set of HD V-Rod reduced reach bars offered by Harley. The part # is 56533-02. Here is the item description:

V-ROD REDUCED REACH HANDLEBARS
This 2" pull-back handlebar positions the rider in an upright seating posture for long-ride comfort. When combined with the Forward Position Seat P/N 52024-01 and the Reduced Reach Foot Control Kit P/N 50270-02, the V-Rod can be tailored to fit the shorter rider’s physical size. Kit includes one-piece handlebar and stainless steel brake line assembly. Fits ’02-later VRSCA models.

PS: I actually use the Sundowner seat instead of the above - furthermore you can purchase the reduced reach footpegs and turn them around to give you more reduction in your leg stretch if reaching the forward controls are a problem.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts