Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read a post at another forum noting a 6th gear for the V-Rod would be a real challenge to pull off, the observation being the gear box area is very small and it is the reason H-D and the aftermarket have not produced a six speed transmission... no room. First I'd ever heard of this. Anyone else have insight on this?

·
Mod Extraordinaire
1,980 Posts
Where'd you read that? I know Cheatin had a line on maybe trying it through someplace but I've not heard any more about it in a long time.

6th or even an OD would be nice but there's just not enough real estate.

·
Registered
42,925 Posts
Never having ridden a VRSC, what kind of RPMs to they turn at say 70 MPH?
Would it really be usefull with the redline of the VRSCs?

·
Mod Extraordinaire
1,980 Posts
I *think* I'm turning 4K at 70, IIRC. I should have paid more attention yesterday.

It's not at 70 that it would be nice;);)

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where'd you read that? I know Cheatin had a line on maybe trying it through someplace but I've not heard any more about it in a long time.

6th or even an OD would be nice but there's just not enough real estate.
TR... It was at another H-D forum and the respondent seemed convincing. Additionally, one can look around at the tranny landscape, six years after the V-Rod's introduction, and there is no six speed gear set. It is possibly true.

Kainam... I think I'm around 4200-4300 RPMs at 70mph in 5th. This isn't too different from other liquid cooled high performance v-twin bikes. And one can certainly take the RPMs much higher than 4200 with the VRSC. A diff is other liquid cooled v-twins have a 6th gear. More than a few I believe would like the option of riding 70mph+ in a 6th gear, dropping the RPMS to something around 3800.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Yes I'm at 4200 at 70mph. I know because I took out my magnifying glass and checked.

·
Registered
42,925 Posts
Interesting, Im only turning 3k RPM at 70 mph in 5th and often find myself searching for a 6th gear.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting, Im only turning 3k RPM at 70 mph in 5th and often find myself searching for a 6th gear.
Yes, certainly different revving machines. Have never experienced a bike with the low rideable RPMs like that of the air cooled big twin. Arguably one of the trademark aspects of the bike so appealing to so many.

·
Registered
13 Posts
6th gear on a V-rod???? Damn near would need a 36 tooth rear sprocket or pully (what ever you want to call it), stock set up you only run about 4800 to 5000 RPM at 75 to 80.:) With a 9000 rev limit:eek: can't get there in 5th 'cause the feet start floating off the pegs at *** . (don't want to get busted)

·
Registered
411 Posts
I have a 26t pulley (30t stock for international, 28t stock on domestic) on the front of my rod, and would love a VR6/extra gear. Have always thought that a 6th would be a welcome upgrade, purely for lower rpm's when cruizin, and the fact I only get 150km (90mi) from a tankfull, so the extra mileage/range would be nice.

Just taking speeed/rpms - I get about 140mph at redline of 9200!!!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Having said that, I must also add that my old 97 Springer still pulls a top speed of 222kph (138mph) on the GPS full taps and a long looong road. (Many mods and a RevTech 6)
About the same as the V...

·
COB
1,984 Posts
I know this sounds weird, but at 4k rpm on my VROD it just doesn't seem like it is working as hard as 3k rpm on my FXST.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Just a thought, I havnt looked it up, but is the ratio of the 6th gear in a 6 speed really different from the 5th gear in a 5 speed?I would think, that all top gears would be about the same, having only more steps in between low, and top.
If I remember right, (I started in the days of 3-speeds,) the 5 speed, and later 6 speed gearboxes were used first in road racers, to allow upchanging while keeping the revs in the powerband.(This all began in the 60's with the smaller, Japanese bikes) I think what everyone would like is an over-drive gear, like some of the Jap tourers have.

·
Mod Extraordinaire
1,980 Posts
You know, having ridden other bikes - it just feels weird on the V-Rod. It feels like there should be another gear there. You're right, though. In the grand scheme of things, it's not too different. It's hard to remember when I'm cruising the speed limit on the freeway that I still have another 5000RPM's to play with. If you rode one for any length of time at all, I think you would understand.

·
Registered
78 Posts
You know, having ridden other bikes - it just feels weird on the V-Rod. It feels like there should be another gear there. You're right, though. In the grand scheme of things, it's not too different. It's hard to remember when I'm cruising the speed limit on the freeway that I still have another 5000RPM's to play with. If you rode one for any length of time at all, I think you would understand.
Well, every bike I've owned felt as though it needed another gear,, be it 3-speed, 4, or 5. I've only spent one of my 40 yrs in the saddle on the Street rod, just finished a 900 mi trip.And,if I look at it with big twin eyes, it too feels like it could use another gear, but it would need to be an O.D. gear to make any real difference, with its high red-line, there really is no need to add more machinery, one more step to the same place.The Revolution engine is supposed to run faster, not like the shovels, and evo's that need the break.
Its just a matter of things changing, it takes time to get used to it.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Just a thought, I havnt looked it up, but is the ratio of the 6th gear in a 6 speed really different from the 5th gear in a 5 speed?I would think, that all top gears would be about the same, having only more steps in between low, and top.
The RevTec comes with a choice of two sixth gear ratios, and both are overdrives.
5th is same as stock, being 1:1

I know other trannys are different, and dont all have OD. I chose mine exactly for that reason, the OD.
Same choice for the VR - It would have to be for me to warrant the expense and labour intensive install!!!

·
Registered
411 Posts
The RevTec comes with a choice of two sixth gear ratios, and both are overdrives.

I know other trannys are different, and dont all have OD. I chose mine exactly for that reason, the OD.
Same choice for the VR - It would have to be for me to warrant the expense and labour intensive install!!!

·
Registered
78 Posts

I'm glad to hear that, it would be a waste of time to do all of that, and get no real benefit, beyond being able to say one has a 6 speed. I'll have to dust off my old Suzuki X-6 hustler,,, Ha!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Sounds like a good idea. BUT, what would a 6th gear really accomplish? FUEL MILEAGE? CRUSING RPM? QUICKER ACCELERATION?? I'd rather see them offer a 26 tooth front pulley. I mean come on how long do you ride at 140? It's only a 7% difference between 28 and 26. Just what I'm lookin for!

Now I know almost everyone here is from 1130cc but please bair with me. VR's don't need a 6th gear IMHO. They rev to 9K! So if your pulling 5K RPM in 5th your already above the speed limit. The VR sweet spot is around 4-5K anyway. I guess I'm different in that I do not "cruise" above 70mph.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts