Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, well it has been horrible as per weather here in the N.E. & my Harley is suffering & so am I.. lol
Well the wind knocked my sportster down & bent my 12" apes plus my throttle grip ripped on the end & now my lights are acting up.. my brake light doesn't go on or my front turn signals. the rear turn sigs are good including hazards. Im waiting for a bit of good weather so I can un bury her & start working on her to change my bars but I can't ride with no lights. Any help is appreciated.

·
Retired citizen
24,344 Posts
Maybe the brake switch broke. I'd be taking the switch housings apart to look for internal problems. You'll be doing that anyways to replace the bars.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Wiring harness may have come lose inside the headlamp Check the grounds connected to the Triple tree as well. (Headlight bucket removal required)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok folks after 2 bar changes I finally got my bars on & all is still not well..lol.. Anyway I got my latest bars on & I resolved all light problems then I go riding & hit a few potholes on the road & now my rear brake light doesn't work. The bulb is lit when the bike is on but nothing happens when I press front or back brakes. Any help will be highly appreciated.. Im guessing I pinched some wires once I put the tank back on so that will be my 2nd look (hopefully today) I double checked the wires I taped together on the bars & they are good.

·
Learning Member
466 Posts
Could be the brake light switch-factory ones go fairly regularly I understand... Did my'06 Sporty in 2012. Good luck!

·
Registered
42,547 Posts
Make sure both filaments in the brake light bulb are good.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey, yes I checked both filaments and both are good. actually I noticed that both lights are on all the time as if the brake was being pressed... I just installed this bulb (3157) could it be the incorrect bulb lol?? none the less I opened up the wires I had cut & re did & all was well.. I actually started to take wires apart to see which was for the brakes & noticed when I disconnected both orange with white wires then the light worked fine for the back brake but still not for the front. IDK if this has anything to do with it but I do recall when we put the bars & everything back together that I pressed the front brake & I heard a snap like in the inside under the reservoir. Can someone direct me to the wiring specs of the wiring coming from the throttle.

Any info on the brake light switch will be great as well..

Or any other suggestions please. Thanks again.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Hey, yes I checked both filaments and both are good. actually I noticed that both lights are on all the time as if the brake was being pressed... I just installed this bulb (3157) could it be the incorrect bulb lol?? none the less I opened up the wires I had cut & re did & all was well.. I actually started to take wires apart to see which was for the brakes & noticed when I disconnected both orange with white wires then the light worked fine for the back brake but still not for the front. IDK if this has anything to do with it but I do recall when we put the bars & everything back together that I pressed the front brake & I heard a snap like in the inside under the reservoir. Can someone direct me to the wiring specs of the wiring coming from the throttle.

Any info on the brake light switch will be great as well..

Or any other suggestions please. Thanks again.
1157 & 1156 is the correct bulbs to be using for duel and single lights .

·
Banned
71 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
NP Webco2... Thanks for trying though..

Anyone else have any thoughts or ideas I should check on please let me know.. Thanks again.

·
Just Ride
3,843 Posts
Front brake light switch bad or not working right. You disconnected it and brake light worked. Make sure there is no gap between master cylinder and throttle housing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts