Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,729 Posts
Rats, I was hoping they would take my '95 geezer glide straight up for a '09 Road Glide with all the trimmings.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I did trade up, got a shiney new Sportster, and dumped that ole Dyna-saur :stir

Now the silly guys at HD want to give me 3k more for my Sporty than I paid for it to trade down to a BT.

Good thing I learned my lesson already

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,175 Posts
I'd have kept the Dyna.

That said, I wonder if anybody has ever seen a comparison write-up, if you threw out all the ego and brand snobbery, how does a 1200 Sportster at it's best compare to some of the world's other sporty-class twins.

Bronson, you said you had many years experience in Brit bikes, what say ye on the comparison?
Maybe some apples to oranges difficulty, but I'd expect the Sportster to be more, uh, the word visceral keeps coming to mind in these discussions..

SteveFarson, I know you've had MV and Ducatis. do you have any Sportster experience to compare them to?

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Took advantage of something similar back in '01. Buy a Buell Blast and trade it back in within a year at the full price. Had a son learning to ride and it was fine for this purpose. At the beginning we would both get on it and ride to a school parking lot (for the basics) at a much lower elevation. Should have seen us two-up climbing the mountain roads on the blast (Me 6'4"). Think the movie Dumb and Dumber on the mini-bike. Anyway, while I could have traded the Blast in on any H-D, I ended up trading it for an outstanding Buell M2 Cyclone.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
I'd have kept the Dyna.

That said, I wonder if anybody has ever seen a comparison write-up, if you threw out all the ego and brand snobbery, how does a 1200 Sportster at it's best compare to some of the world's other sporty-class twins.

Bronson, you said you had many years experience in Brit bikes, what say ye on the comparison?
Maybe some apples to oranges difficulty, but I'd expect the Sportster to be more, uh, the word visceral keeps coming to mind in these discussions..

SteveFarson, I know you've had MV and Ducatis. do you have any Sportster experience to compare them to?
Just noted the end of your post. I don't have much Sportster experience per se, but have come close with the XL/Sportster engine based Buell M2 Cyclone.

You mention a word I think is key -- visceral. IMO, sporting bikes have long exceeded the skill level of those astride them. The thinking sporting rider, knowing this versus caught up in the hype of overkill HP/TQ specs, starts to weight more favorably the experience in getting from A to B versus how fast the specs say one can do so. The latter only really can be taken advantage of by pro-level racers.

Thus, give me the involved ride, the characterful and visceral experience. IMO, this is why H-D's, including the Sportsters have such great appeal, also the booming Ducati Desmos and roaring MV's. Major grinfests.

This I know, I could hang with (and then some) any sportbike in the Colorado canyons on the Cyclone. Could probably give it a good game on a Sportster. Egads, should see the faces of the squids I torque by on the Road King as I immaturely give chase :).

Net... Sportsters: :thumb H-D big twins: :thumb, V-Rods: :thumb, and anything that floats one's boat: :thumb, and finally, it is the rider, not the bike that makes the diff 95% of the time in any contest from A to B.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
While watching a bowl game or two today, noticed two H-D TV ads on the trade-in program. What gave me a hesitation was the announcer noting how one could bring their Sporty in and "trade-up". H-D wants to move the big twins, but the words "trade-up" are used loosely imo. For many Sportster owners a "trade-up" would not be the case.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'd have kept the Dyna.

Im to young to ride a BT, I prefer handing and preformance.

Sporty to Brits you say. Well I can not compare my real Brits, only the new ones.

Im a big guy, and the Bonnies frame is made for a guy way smaller than me. The Sporty with a little help fits nice.

Its an entirely different ride. From zero- 40ish, the Bonnie will so own the Sporty.

My Bonnie was made up like a 50s cafe racer with a rear set, 1/4 binkini fairing, and solo seat. The Sporty is a sofa on wheels.

On the freeway at cruise speed the Sporty is a softer ride, and you dont get blown around as much.

The Bonnie (800) would better be tested against an 883 than my 1200. It gets way better fuel mileage, yet doesnt have the upper end punch the 1200 does.

Oh yeah, most important.....

Its NOT A Harley

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
Harley had a trade-in deal on sportys back in the late 80's... a new 883 cost $3995 and they would give you that for a trade a year later.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I don't know why Bronson has it in for Dynas. Yea the Sportster is fun and nimble, but unless you are of a petite build, it is a little rough to ride a Sportster 1000 miles in a day. Five hundred miles and my legs and butt were screaming. With my Dyna I can go 1000 miles in comfort. Yes, the Dyna is not as nimble, but the overall experience is much more pleasant. IMO.

·
Banned
655 Posts
My local dealer had a great deal. This was put out in November 2008 - But if you came there and bought a brand new bike - they would pay your personal property tax on it. Tiny little letters at the bottom: Only good for the year 2008.

Now - when you lisense it - you pay "Sales Tax" - plus drag everything in plus your granny to verify who you are and if your worthy of the lisence.

But it would be in March - April of 2009 that they send out your "Personal Property" tax form - where you include purchases and serial numbers - delete stuff - etc. Then in November of 2009 you would get your "Personal Property Tax Bill" in the mail. Which would include that new bike you bought last year. Must be paid by December 31.

So really - if you went there to purchase a new bike thinking wow - they are gonna pay my Personal Property tax - the saleman is saying "Bend Over". What a deal.?????

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,175 Posts
I don't know why Bronson has it in for Dynas
To each his own. Maybe he lives in a place with lots of interesting roads with twists and turns and hills and dales.

For the long straight flat roads most of my riding in Texas is, a bike that wants to find twisty road adventure would be a waste, so no reason to go light weight. For my tastes, the Dynas still have the profile I want a motorcycle to have, and as close to the ride of a Dresser as I will get w/o actually riding a dresser.

Bronson might be a bit more conflicted, at least about the performance, if he was to try a V-Rod.

I asked my wife to straddle and walk both bikes, tell me which one she thought was lighter, she thought the V-Rod was significantly lighter than a Sportster.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,175 Posts
Well.... don't want to hurt anybody's feelings....

My own preferrence is for a bike with a proper, full rear suspension, as well as a rear fender you can strap stuff to, in a pinch.
For my purposes, a RockerC would seem to be a pub to pub townie bike only, and I don't do any pub to pub ridin'

For my 2 cents, try any non-softail Dyna.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
when you lisense it - you pay "Sales Tax"
You pay "personal property tax" on a motorcycle? (Outside of State SALES Tax?) Must be a state thing...

I'da taken that bill to the dealership.... and kindly asked them for the money, if they were supposed to pay it.

FYI, Sales tax on a motor vehicle is tax deductable now and has been for about 3 years.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,175 Posts
Sales tax on a motor vehicle is tax deductable now and has been for about 3 years
I believe this may be true in a only few states like Texas, where there is no state income tax, but high sales tax, with the intent to provide a similar Federal tax deduction as is available to residents of states where there IS state income tax, and it is deductible.

Taxpayers who itemize get another chance to choose between deducting their state income taxes or their state sales taxes on their federal return this year. Congress extended the either-or-state-tax break, which had expired last year, for two more years through 2009.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thinking of trading for a rocker C. Any advice or comments anyone?
Hey Body man, It depends on the type of riding you plan on doing. As Nate said the Rocker is a beauty but it's for short to medium length trips. If you are planning longer trips then any other Softail, Dyna or Vrod will do and we all know for long range comfort nothing beats a touring model.

To get every penny back toward another model is a great opportunity. It makes me want to ride a free Sportster for a year!

Everybody has their favorite model and no one is wrong.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I don't know why Bronson has it in for Dynas. Yea the Sportster is fun and nimble, but unless you are of a petite build, it is a little rough to ride a Sportster 1000 miles in a day. Five hundred miles and my legs and butt were screaming. With my Dyna I can go 1000 miles in comfort. Yes, the Dyna is not as nimble, but the overall experience is much more pleasant. IMO.
Im over 6ft and over 250, Im not slight.

I rode my Bonnie from Seattle to Salt Lake City and back in 26 hours. That was an even smaller machine.

BTW I have forwards and highway pegs. Im real confy on the sundowner seat.

Mind you I only use this machine for a commuter. 100+ miles a day, 5 days a week, 11 months a year.

Its the get the hell out of soccer mom and deisel dan's way that important ot me. The Dyna was a slug.

Im used to preformance machines. Sorry the Dyna didnt do it for me.

My brother who is taller than me, had a 81 Dyna and now a 01 Dyna. He wont own anything else.

If everyone likes the same stuff, there would only be one kind.

I showed the medium woman the X-Bones. She said it was way to ugly for her butt to be on. :faint

See what I mean

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Forgetting the trades are Harleys ever discounted from full retail price?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts