Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, My name is Gary, and im new to the scene. Just bought an 01 softail Standard todaay. It has screaming eagle pipes currently, which I heard was supposed to be loud. I dont know what model they are, since I'm just learning. All I know for sure is that they are not that loud. I want to know what everyones opinions are about which exhaust is the loudest.

Any opinion is greatly apprciated, and thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Most Screaming Eagle pipes have adjustable baffals you might look and if not than a new set of shotgun pipes will get the sound out of it your lookin for. Vance&Hines makes a real wide aray of pipes that will always put Screamin Eagle pipes to shame.

·
CVMA 44-2
252 Posts
Hey Gary
The Samson "Big Guns" pipes are loud...real loud. Not made in USA. Philiphines I think.
Look good.
Pete

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,116 Posts
....im new to the scene.....Any opinion is greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance
Well, since you asked, don't do it.
You admit to being new and seek advice, so don't take offense at being told the truth.

Loud pipes destroy your hearing with a quickness, piss off the cops, piss off your neighbors
and make people in traffic want to knock you off your bike.

...and it marks you as an obnoxious and immature noobie and a dumb-ass.
Especially since anybody who knows anything about motorcycles will know
that you deliberately suffered a loss of performance in order to be offensive.

It's an expensive mod, pipes that will hold up are very expensive and pointless.

Why don't you suppress this urge for awhile, see if you don't decide in time
that it wasn't really such a good idea after all.

A quieter bike performs better, and you get to ride it harder
because everybody in the county doesn't know when you open up the throttle.

And if you don't listen, I'll give you $25 for your Screaming Eagle mufflers.

BTW there's a good tutorial here about opening up the baffles on those pipes,
it'll get just a little louder and in a less obnoxious way, and save you a lot of money.

·
Banned
11,040 Posts
I ran loud pipes my whole life and love it!!because it pisses people off set off car alarms,Its great for passing by open windows,never a ticket its how you ride it.
And most importantly Loud Pipes save lifes!!
Havin em saved my ass numerous times. Its all a personal preferance do what you want who gives a fugk what anyone thinks your bike is about you not anyone else.

·
when did it start 4u
2,051 Posts
Vance&Hines makes a real wide aray of pipes that will always put Screamin Eagle pipes to shame.
word to that samson sounds good to I have V&H on my sporty and love them and samsons on the FL and love them, but V&H are really loud

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
If you have SE mufflers, undo the nut and bolt and remove the baffle.

You can do that, or you can modify the baffle to let more exhaust through.

Or, buy louder ones and sell you others to Nathan.

I have neighbors. Despite my bike not being anything close to stock in the "noise department", I do take it easy near home, or when passing nursing homes.

But boy do I hammer it near the McMichael's School For the Deaf.........

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well Nathan, I dont take offense to your opinion, because I realize its just that, your opinion. however I didnt ask for your opinion on if I should do it or not, I asked everyones opinion on what exhausts the loudest. just busting your balls. it's all something to think about

I dont think my loud pipes are going to be half as annoying as the bass from the stereos coming from half the cars in my neighborhood.

Anyway someone told me that drag pipes are the loudest, whats everyones opinions on that?

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,116 Posts
.. Any opinion ...
Maybe I misunderstood...

I dont think my loud pipes are going to be half as annoying as the bass from the stereos coming from half the cars in my neighborhood.
Oh I doubt that he can disturb 25,000 people on a Sunday afternoon ride, like a 150db bike can.

Still want those mufflers. And ... wear earplugs.
Wind and traffic noise alone will damage your hearing.
Good luck.

·
The Northern Redneck
7,170 Posts
I have a Thunderheader 2 into 1. Can get them chrome or ceramic black..I have the black with chrome heat shields...They are decent throuty sounding at lower rpm, but when you get on the throttle, they belch out the buzz....and they make BOOKOO horespower & torque....

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have drag pipes on mine and they are very loud but they dont withstand heat very well. Im going to have to go with Vance&Hines pretty quick because of all the bluing, also somthing to think about.

·
Fla Cajun
25,353 Posts
I have drag pipes on mine and big city thunder, monster baffles. my pipes ain't blue. Maybe your bike is runnin to lean,which makes it run hotter.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just took the baffles out for now, sounds alot better, I think. This will get me by till i can afford something else.
Thanks for everyones advice.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Nathang,

Nay, sir. Nay. The quieter you go does not entail more power all the time.

Anyway, there are different kinds of H-D riders. Ones that want their bike to sound loud and proud like the old days, and don't really care about if it can out run the rice-rocket down the street. Others want killer performance and get more of a kick out of taking Mr. Honda CBR or Ms. Kawasaki Ninja to the cleaners. In either case, the H-D will sound better than both of those bikes.

I have loud pipes. I lost some bottom end before I put on the high-flow A/C, and now it's a little over stock in terms of performance. Good enough for me. If I had a 2:1 that son-of-a would be movin' and it'd be loud, but whatever. I don't race, I ride. Plus, let's be honest, if I wanted to buy a bike that sounded like a sewing machine, I'd buy one of those imitation cruiser bikes from Japan which often have better stock performance and a lower price... or a Victory, which sounds pretty close actually.

·
"Ain't quite right"™
11,224 Posts
Anyway, there are different kinds of H-D riders. Ones that want their bike to sound loud and proud like the old days, and don't really care about if it can out run the rice-rocket down the street. Others want killer performance and get more of a kick out of taking Mr. Honda CBR or Ms. Kawasaki Ninja to the cleaners. In either case, the H-D will sound better than both of those bikes.
Some of us can have both :thumb

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a set of V&H Straight Shots w/ the baffles removed on my '04 FXDWG along w/ a K&N air filter, and I love the sound and the performance. I'm toying w/ the idea of putting a set of Martin Bros. Daisycutters on. :D

And yes, loud pipes save lives!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts