Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '09 EG Classic didn't come with the provisions for rider/passenger intercom outside of what's built-in to the advanced audio system, and has no rear speakers or CB.

I've priced up some of the parts, and can find all that info as needed. I also know I have to take the outer shell of the faring off to install the CB, if I want to. I'm a ham radio operator and may opt for something from Yaesu - they have a nice all weather 2 meter/440CM radio, so I may go that route instead of Citizens Band radio.

What else needs to be done in order to add intercom & rear speakers - I have to replace the console with one that's got the plug for the rider intercom, but do I also have to take the tank off to route the wires? Would I need a new control stock on the handlebar, or on both, to add PTT for the intercom, when not using VOX? Do I need to take the tank off the bike to route the wires back to the rear of the bike?

I'm reasonably mechanically inclined, and just installed the Jagg low mount fan assist oil cooler, but before I go buying parts just how big a job is adding intercom and rear speakers?

I looked around this forum, did some keyword searches but none of the articles I found spoke to what I am trying to do, hence my question here.

Thanks for your time,

~Dave

·
Rookie for life
929 Posts
If you go the factory route you'll have to install an "ultra" wiring harness. This permits plug and play for the intercom and rear speakers, but it's expensive {$100+} and a PITA to install; it's run right down the backbone to the tourpak. The hardware is also gonna be a good buck, but eBay is your friend here... there's usually lots of factory stuff available.

If you're not set on factory, Iron Cross Audio is a good aftermarket outfit and might have some workarounds. J&M is top notch but pricey.

I love the CB for long trips but have yet to use the intercom. IMO, the current generation of VOX Bluetooth headsets beats anything from the MoCo hands-down.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
If you go factory, once you get it all installed, you will have to have a dealership program the radio head unit to recognize all the new hardware and activate the HU's ability to control it.

Yes, you'll need different hand controls. Also, there are several wires that run to the back of the bike, in addition to the speaker wiring, there is the passenger's PTT control and headset volume control.

Taking the tank off a 2009 and up bike is super easy. It takes five minutes. I have had mine off 2-3 times. I would do it in almost any case just to be able to sit it on the other side of the garage unharmed by inattentive wrench twists.

FWIW, I bet you could trade your bike for the same year/same mileage Ultra for what this project will cost you!! :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you go the factory route you'll have to install an "ultra" wiring harness. This permits plug and play for the intercom and rear speakers, but it's expensive {$100+} and a PITA to install; it's run right down the backbone to the tourpak. The hardware is also gonna be a good buck, but eBay is your friend here... there's usually lots of factory stuff available.

If you're not set on factory, Iron Cross Audio is a good aftermarket outfit and might have some workarounds. J&M is top notch but pricey.

I love the CB for long trips but have yet to use the intercom. IMO, the current generation of VOX Bluetooth headsets beats anything from the MoCo hands-down.
I've been looking at the helmet mounted bluetooth headsets that do intercom/group conversations, sounds like from your advice that would be a better option. Thanks for the reply, info and guidance.

If you go factory, once you get it all installed, you will have to have a dealership program the radio head unit to recognize all the new hardware and activate the HU's ability to control it.

FWIW, I bet you could trade your bike for the same year/same mileage Ultra for what this project will cost you!! :)
Hmm, yeah I can see it adding up to quite a bundle. Think maybe I'll just upgrade the front faring speakers with some better ones and leave it at that - 'sides next year I'm going to want to put new skins on the bike, and the $$$ is probably better spent on tires than audio. Bike ain't no good unless it's able to putt down the road safely, no matter how good the audio sounds :)

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I've been looking at the helmet mounted bluetooth headsets that do intercom/group conversations, sounds like from your advice that would be a better option. Thanks for the reply, info and guidance.

Hmm, yeah I can see it adding up to quite a bundle. Think maybe I'll just upgrade the front faring speakers with some better ones and leave it at that - 'sides next year I'm going to want to put new skins on the bike, and the $$$ is probably better spent on tires than audio. Bike ain't no good unless it's able to putt down the road safely, no matter how good the audio sounds :)
If you just want rear speakers, you can buy those tour-pak mounted pods from Hogtunes and other vendors. They look just like the OEM ones. You just wouldn't have a fader on the head unit.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you just want rear speakers, you can buy those tour-pak mounted pods from Hogtunes and other vendors. They look just like the OEM ones. You just wouldn't have a fader on the head unit.
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check them out. Not as concerned about the fader, unless of course the front/rear balance is way off, but even then, I realize it's a bike and not my home theater :)

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check them out. Not as concerned about the fader, unless of course the front/rear balance is way off, but even then, I realize it's a bike and not my home theater :)

I actually have 2x70w amp on the fronts only on my Ultra to front load the sound on purpose. The weighted output adds clarity. The rears are for the passenger and/or a bit of presence.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts