Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this forum and in dire need of some help. About 10 years ago there was a 1957 Harley Davidson Sportster repossessed and sold at auction. I believe it was in about 2004 and the auction house was Wolf’s Auction House in Evansville, Indiana. I have checked several sources and most of the records were purged after six or seven years. I cannot find where the motorcycle was ever registered since it was sold at auction. I understand it may have had a repo title issued, but the VIN would stay the same. The VIN is 57XL1760. The motorcycle was black with the raised handlebars as in the picture of my avatar. I’m looking to purchase it if it is located and the owner is interested in selling it. As you all in this forum knows, sometimes these old motorcycles do in up in the corner of someone’s garage and forgotten about. It has more sentimental value than anything else to me and if an owner is found and is willing to sell, I would be willing to negotiate a fair price. Thank you and if anybody reading this knows how to get this message out there any more, please let me know.

·
Banned
71 Posts
You can have a VIN checked through the DMV in most states, to see if it is still around .

Also there is a National VIN database , but you would have to pay someone to access it . Services such as CarFax is one such service .

:coffee:

·
Banned
71 Posts
Thanks, I forgot to mention I did pay for a carfax on the VIN and came up negative.
Insurance companies use a service to track VIN numbers, keeps folks from "collecting" on a car more than once .
I don't know how you would access that database tho . You might run a few searches on the net to find a service that does that .

:coffee:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I haven't tried that route, I'll see what I can come up with. I have a few friends in the insurance field.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did try my insurance buddy, he said they can match VINs with vehicles and vehicles with VINs but they can't get any other info, thanks, it was worth a try

·
Banned
71 Posts
If you know the last State it had a Title in, you might be able to see who had the last Title change. If it sold at Auction , most likely it had a Title .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts