Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already bought a new set of Michelins on sale for my bike last fall to be mounted before the new season starts. But now I'm thinking about ordering a new set of HD 6 spoke cast wheels while I'm getting close to having the new rubber mounted. The spokes on my stock wheels are'nt looking too good anymore, the cast wheels will be a lot easier to clean and look better imo.
I've already priced the HD wheels to fit my bike and my question is this. They (MoCo) call for a "wheel installation kit" to be ordered separately. It looks like bearings, a couple spacers, and a couple valve stems for 89.95. Double that for front and rear. Do I need this kit? Are'nt the parts except for valve stems (tubed) already in my stock wheels? Or are they different?

I'm going to be wanting to get this done so I can start riding once the salt is washed off the local logging trails....

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Just Ride
3,254 Posts
Bearings the same. Spacers I think are different. I'll double check with my service manual.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bearings the same. Spacers I think are different. I'll double check with my service manual.[/QUOTE

Aw hell man, I have a service manual. I did'nt think to look for it to have that kind of detail though. I'll take a look after work in the AM.
Thanks.:thumbsup

·
Imperial Wizard...
4,956 Posts
Service manual could be a little vague...you can buy bearings anywhere but you must have the right spacers for the wheel you plan on putting on.....it will cut out a bunch of BS..and the wheel goes on a certain way...bearings go in on one side then only to spacer on the other......bah...bah...bah....if you buy new wheels ,bite the bullet and GET the RIGHT kit........don't ask how I know...

·
Smiles. A lot!
8,683 Posts
Service manual could be a little vague...you can buy bearings anywhere but you must have the right spacers for the wheel you plan on putting on.....it will cut out a bunch of BS..and the wheel goes on a certain way...bearings go in on one side then only to spacer on the other......bah...bah...bah....if you buy new wheels ,bite the bullet and GET the RIGHT kit........don't ask how I know...
I agree... and depending on how many miles on the bearings... I would replace them anyways

·
Registered
827 Posts
Can't tell if you have mounted the new tires yet, but I have run into a few garages that will not mount a used or pre-mounted tire on a different/new wheel. Not sure if it's a liability issue or safety issue or what. Anybody else hear of this or is it just an anomoly near me.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
The install kit seems like kind of a ripoff by HD considering aftermarket wheels come with bearings and spacers already installed

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Roger that. Took a look at the manual today and you are right.

I agree... and depending on how many miles on the bearings... I would replace them anyways
That's the plan. :thumbsup

Can't tell if you have mounted the new tires yet, but I have run into a few garages that will not mount a used or pre-mounted tire on a different/new wheel. Not sure if it's a liability issue or safety issue or what. Anybody else hear of this or is it just an anomoly near me.
I'm taking my tires to an indy shop (Big V's in Lackawanna) for mounting/balancing, not sure of his policy but in this case I have brand new tires/tubes/rim strips sitting here that I bought last fall. Never been mounted. I originally planned to have them mounted on the stock wire rims before the upcoming riding season starts.
Might still go ahead and do that. Add getting new wheels on the list of parts to buy during the summer and put on the bike next winter.

Thanks everyone for your advice here.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The install kit seems like kind of a ripoff by HD considering aftermarket wheels come with bearings and spacers already installed
The wheels I am looking at are from HD. The only thing they come with is the non-primary side hub cover. They tell you on the order page that you need to order the install kit separately. I found an online dealer that sells them for a good bit less than directly from MoCo.

Slotted 6-Spoke 19 in. Front Wheel-44057-07 | Wheels | Official Harley-Davidson Online Store

I was skeptical about it myself figuring I could re-use the stock parts from my stock wheels till these guys here set me straight. At first I thought MoCo is just trying to sell expensive install kits that I might not really need.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts