Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding the sportster forty eight for about a year now. Looking to upgrade to a bigger bike. I love my bike. It's fun to zip around the city with, not out on the open highways. Especially with the 2 gallon gas tank. It's a bit go-carty for me. I'm looking for a bike that's good for city use, also good for open highways.

Been researching the 2015 Breakout. That a good choice for an upgrade? I'm a fairly new rider, I don't know many of the differences between the bigger bikes. I feel like I'm bothering the sales guys with questions about this. They never seem to be able to answer my questions.

Thanks!

·
Registered
352 Posts
I found for myself that a Heritage Classic is the fit for me. It isn't to big for the city and you don't get blown around on the highway plus some of the items like the windshield can be taken off with there quick release to give it a different look plus they hold 5 gallons.

·
Registered
11,796 Posts
You can learn a lot about the different classes of bikes on the HD website. You can pull up all the specs (gear ratios, weights, lean angles, features, options, prices, etc.) for any HD bike and you can compare, side by side, up to I believe 3 different bikes at a time.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Welcome from Wisconsin, if your salesman can't help answer your questions you might want to find a different one. Ride safe!

·
luv the low country
20,312 Posts
Welcome from Conway, SC.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The Breakout caught my eye every time I went into the dealer, but I chose to go with the (2015) Heritage Classic instead. I hadn't had a bike in a long time, but my previous ride was a Sportster 1200 Custom (1994.) It took a day or so to get used to the larger size of the Heritage - it doesn't ride like a Sportster - but it is much better on the open road, or at least I think it is.

Every rider out there was once a novice, so dealers should have sales personnel that could get answers to your questions. As stated above, consider going elsewhere if they are not helping you.

Good luck in your search, and go take a test ride on a Breakout. Consider renting one if you have that option. That will tell you more than anyone here or a salesman could.

David

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
not a fan of the big tire on the break out - to me it makes it a city bike -much rather cruise with a 160-70-17-

other than the rear tire though its one bad azz bike

·
Registered
274 Posts
I'm confused with this big tire negative talk.coming off the night train I see no handling difference. If you can Ride a motorcycle then you can ride a motorcycle you'll adapt in about 3.3 seconds

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
For me the bigger tire helps quite a bit on handling. I will never go back to a thinner tire. But that's why they have different sizes, each to his own.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I went from a 2014 XL1200C Sportster to a 2012 Heritage Classic Softail. I enjoy the more docile ride of the Heritage versus the "race horse" ride of the Sportster. Big tire in front makes no difference to me as the Sporty had a big front tire too.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Look into a Fat Boy. They are built in a Softail frame and
there are a lot of them around used, for sale.

The advantage is that that model has been around a long time
and there are a lot of them used, with low miles for a good price.
Just check you local listings and you'll find plenty of them.

Good Luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts