Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Me too. If you are up this way, a must see is the Boeing Air Museum. I love the WWII section with all the fighters posed-the Mustang, Flying Tiger, Zero etc.,and my favorite, the Corsair.

·
Retired citizen
22,051 Posts
The big EAA fly in at Oshkosh, WI is coming up 7/27/13 through 8/4/13. Anybody that's into aircraft needs to get to that, it's a biggy ! 1000s of planes and anything else that flys.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I just learned that a B17 from the Yankee Airforce is going to be in Pellston the 28th-30th of June. Was heading up north anyhow that weekend, trying to fit a detour in to see it also. I saw one about 15 years ago and it was awesome to hear it come for a landing. I couldn't imagine seeing thousands of them in the air at the same time.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
The big EAA fly in at Oshkosh, WI is coming up 7/27/13 through 8/4/13. Anybody that's into aircraft needs to get to that, it's a biggy ! 1000s of planes and anything else that flys.

A truly great air show.

I know that the Planes of fame P-38 and their A6M Zero are going to be there.

That Zero is the only one flying in the world.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I've never been to an airshow but I imagine it must be awesome! As a kid I used to build those balsa wood plane kits. Some came out very nice. I built a Zero that I was pretty proud of.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
12,800 Posts
This gorgeous plane was headed for Reno when I shot these pix, it had sputtered so the pilot landed it in Podunk.

Here is my son and his mate changing the plugs, twin ignitions and 18 cylinders, 36 plugs.

3350 cubic inches, around 2500 hp as I recall. It is an Australian Hawker Sea Fury, one of very few 2 seaters ever made, Six I think.

The engine quit in practice for the Reno races. The pilot crashed it very well and walked away.

The pilots that fly it said "..it will out-fly a Mustang in any configuration, including wheels down..."

Pilot's shop talk.

This plane's original engine has been replaced with engine used in the B-29 (and many others) The Wright 3350

I stood behind it when the pilot was blowing it out, trying to decide if he felt like replacing the plugs had been what it needed,

almost blew me through a chain link fence. I commented to my son the aircraft mechanic about the pilot "revving the engine,"

I misspoke the jargon, my son laughed and said Oh he was being very sure not to "zing" it too hard,

the engine's torque reaction will flip the plane over on it's top while it's sitting on the ground.

"A Ground-roll" sounded like something the pilots said with sober fear or bravado, like bikers say "a high-side"

plus $1,000,000 in damages.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts