Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Fla Cajun
25,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For us guys that hav'nt ridden in a while, my youngest son just layed his GSXR600 down due to new tire. When you have a tire replaced don't forget, it's slick. He went around a corner and it slid out from under him. He's ok just skint up. Ride very careful for a while till you get the new wore off.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I think the rule of thumb is no hard acceleration or hard braking for the first 100 miles until its seated on the rim good and the newness has been worn off.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Glad he's okay. Those Gixxer's are wicked fast and wicked fun. Has he got any good twisties to play on?

Adrian

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Heard a story recently of a police officer picking up his Kawasaki cruiser at a dealership after getting new tires fitted. The dealership is across the street from a busy outdoor restaurant. It was around 5:30p and the officer I guess wanted to impress all the dining onlookers by goosing the throttle as he pulled out of the dealership. Did a major spinout on the greasy new tires trashing the side of his cruiser.

·
Official Ass Tweaker
1,804 Posts
Or, a brief burn-out
Doesn't do it for the chicken strips - or the front. Better to play easy for the first 100. Don't know if you were serious.

·
What?
3,256 Posts
I'm glad he's ok.

I never would have given it a thought myself. I'll definately locked that away in my head for later.

Personally, everytime I wash the bike, I like to armor all the :stac: out of the rear tire. That way the first few miles is an adventure leaving the house.

What?

:woo

·
Shovelhead
391 Posts
Dave63 is exactly right. The release compund is called "Soapstone" We use it in tube type tires in rubber tire loaders, tractors, buses etc so that the tube doesn't stick to the inside liner of a tire. It is the same consistency as talc powder. It is very slippery.

·
Banned
11,040 Posts
Personally, everytime I wash the bike, I like to armor all the :stac: out of the rear tire. That way the first few miles is an adventure leaving the house.

Hey bro dont use armoral the shit is garbage it ruins your tires and causes dryrot so does the 2001 crap use meguiars # 40 conditioner and cleaner not
only does it clean it protects and dosent cause dryrot...I own my own bodyshop and detail shop all I use is meguiars or mothers or 3mmm,anything else is garbage trust me Ive been doing this my whole life...Just tryin to help ya all out my good deed for the day.

·
What?
3,256 Posts

Hey bro dont use armoral the shit is garbage it ruins your tires and causes dryrot so does the 2001 crap use meguiars # 40 conditioner and cleaner not
only does it clean it protects and dosent cause dryrot...I own my own bodyshop and detail shop all I use is meguiars or mothers or 3mmm,anything else is garbage trust me Ive been doing this my whole life...Just tryin to help ya all out my good deed for the day.
Thanks. I had heard once before that it would cause tires to dry rot on the inside. Usually we drive so much that we wear tires out from mileage (two years max) then giving them a chance to rot. I really like the meguiars wax products. I'll switch tire products and give it a try.

:woo

·
Banned
11,040 Posts
glad to help out try it youll like it put some on your car door rubbers and your doors wont freeze shut in the winter...
But you probley dont have to worry about that in texas

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
how about light sanding?

·
What?
3,256 Posts
glad to help out try it youll like it put some on your car door rubbers and your doors wont freeze shut in the winter...
But you probley dont have to worry about that in texas
Oh usually maybe two days a year. Once in January and maybe again in febuary! :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts