Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 14 Road King it still has the factory warranty. I have notice that my rims are starting to corrode and the rear belt sprocket the paint is popping off in chunks.I took the bike to the Dealership where i bought the bike.Service tech said it shouldn't be doing this they took pictures sent them to Harley and guess what it is an environmental issue and they won't cover them. so i called Harley this morning spoke with warranty manager or so he said was and he said same thing its environmental issue. I have about 10300 miles on my bike i ride my bike not like some people who buy one leave it in the garage just to say they have a Harley.The only thing that i have washed my bike is what the dealership sold me i use Harley sun wash and s100 only and i can't believe only after a year and a half that this is happening I guess Obama was right we have to fight global warming cause the air has screwed up my bike all i can say is thanks Harley Davidson for taking my $19,000 for a new bike and not standing behind your product!!!!

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,967 Posts
Sounds typical. Have your lawyer send them a cheery note with a copy to the local stealer.

·
American
28,712 Posts
Sounds typical. Have your lawyer send them a cheery note with a copy to the local stealer.
^^ this, would go to battle with HD on this issue.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Like was said, keep fighting but if you ride close to the Atlantic Harley will try to beat you over the head with it. I live in Fort Lauderdale and am constantly fighting the salt in the air and was told by different HD folks the same thing.

In addition to the attorney, I would keep trying different warranty folks at HD too. I kept cherry picking until one had a heart and pushed it through for me. Also, my dealer gets the issue and also pushed.

I use a product called salt away all the time and corrosion protectants. Also went to stainless steel bolts and that helped. Good luck bud.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
So because you live within 100+/- miles of the coast, they say that is what is causing the problem and they won't cover it??? hmmm

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm about 150 miles from the beach so salt is not an issue he also told me that other chemicals in the garage could cause it as well and i near about flip my lid when he said that. I told him the only chemicals in the garage was the cleaning supplies i bought from them. But i will keep trying to call and worry the Sh## out of them i will let y'all know my progress

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
I dont see any corrosion. Looks more like the application process was not properly followed.

·
Frozen Member
2,329 Posts
Those pulley pics show coating failure for sure, probably due to poor application as SoftailBilly said. That should definitely be a warrantee item. No way its due to any environmental reason. The coating is to keep the environment from degrading the metal, which will be susceptible to corrosion now.

Show pics of the rim corrosion too please.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,967 Posts
Reactions: Ken 1957

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Okay, y'all know me... (and for those of you that me a tad soft, well, suffice it to say it to say that I try and work within the "rules")

Depending on what they say after the last pics you sent, you could, if you are so inclined, call your local tv station and have them do a human interest story. 2 reasons. One, news shows are always looking for a David and Goliath story. Two, keep your cool, and there may be a dealer that needs and wants some traffic that will take care of it for you. I am saying this because I too have '14 and I would be beyond incensed to have had my intelligence insulted in the way they tried to do.

I am not suggesting this method as a means of badmouthing HD but rather, that it needs to be expressed in an honest and passionate way because truth is, in making you whole, it may prompt other riders who'd given up, to have what they rightfully deserve.

You're not asking for anything other then respect and for them to honor the spirit of the warranty. It gets frustrating to do the right thing, only to have others want to take advantage of the fact that we're not ranting and raving.

It's only my opinion and I don't mean to come off as an asshat. But we deserve to have bikes that are protected by the warranty.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i am waiting to hear from them to see what they say i will keep you posted.

·
Señor Member
19,803 Posts
Well guess who called me this morning my local Dealership and they said Harley called them and they would cover the pulley but not the labor and the dealership said they would cover the labor as good faith so they have to order the part and set a time to install it.

:thumb

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
Huh. Not to downplay anything said here, but I have never once had a warranty claim denied in 35 years of owning Harleys.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Well guess who called me this morning my local Dealership and they said Harley called them and they would cover the pulley but not the labor and the dealership said they would cover the labor as good faith so they have to order the part and set a time to install it.
That's great. :grin When pulley is installed to your satisfaction. Thank & a handshake whom ever pushed it at the dealer and may be a letter to Milwaukee. In the mean time check for any other plating defects.:nerd Good Luck

1 - 20 of 28 Posts