Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Thug counter
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Scott, and I'm 47. From the time I was 8 (with the exception of about 5 years), I've always owned some type of bike. I've had Hondas, Kawasakis, and Yahamas. Never a Harley. I've always said to myself, "This is bike is just as good as a Harley"...riiigghhhttt.

I know better now...much better. Now don't get me wrong, the last bike I had (Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe) was a damn nice bike, if you want to tour a lot. The problem with it was it weighed over 900 lbs after I put a boatload of chrome on it. I'm older now, and not quite as strong as I used to be, and it was a real chore just getting it out of the building to take a ride. I live in town, and 90% of the time I just take short jaunts back and forth. It's only 5 miles to work, and it just wasn't worth hossing it out to ride there, especially working midnight shift.

I rode a couple of road kings a few years back and I loved them. I wasn't nearly as spread eagled as I was on my V-4 bike, and I could control them better, but there was still the heaviness to deal with. My building is in my back yard which is through a fence, and down a hill (I have no garage so that's not an option).

So 2 days ago, I traded the touring bike for an '09 Night Train that had...get this...2900 miles on it!! That's right, 2,900!! Cost me my bike and $5K. I probably got screwed, but my bike was paid off and the wife was in a mood to let me get it, so I pulled the trigger before she could change her mind.

The only thing I want to change is the way the handlebars set, by either getting risers with a pullback, or swept back handlebars. My 12 year old daughter likes to ride with me, so the smaller seat won't be an issue (wife won't ride for any amount of money).

Well, that's about it...on a personal note, I work the graveyard shift at a federal prison (hence my handle).

·
Thug counter
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Here's a pic of the one I bought. Plain jane, but fine with me.

If anybody out there could identify the pipes on it, I would greatly appreciate it!

·
Registered
42,150 Posts
I remember when my NightTrain had that much chrome on it.... barely. :D

Welcome.

·
Thug counter
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I remember when my NightTrain had that much chrome on it.... barely. :D

Welcome.
Heh. One of the parts guys at the Harley shop was giving me down the road for wanting to buy a plain chrome derby cover. That's all I plan on doing. That'll be a little chrome on each side to break up all the black.

Thanks for the welcome!

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Glad you finally came to your senses, LOL!

Welcome to the the forum! You're gonna enjoy owning a Harley and getting to know the characters here. And yes, you'll learn a lot -- and not just about bikes...

--

·
Registered
42,150 Posts
The NightTrain is one of those bikes that comes middle of the road stock with regards to Black vs Chrome.....

I went towards the Black end of the spectrum.

DSC_1967s.JPG

·
Thug counter
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glad you finally came to your senses, LOL!

Welcome to the the forum! You're gonna enjoy owning a Harley and getting to know the chacters here. And yes, you'll learn a lot -- and not just about bikes...

--
Thanks! I'm a character myself, and from what I've already read while looking around, it's going to be a lot of fun. It'll help me fill some empty hours at work.

·
Thug counter
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The NightTrain is one of those bikes that comes middle of the road stock with regards to Black vs Chrome.....

I went towards the Black end of the spectrum.

View attachment 329322
I would've stayed all black if it had had black pipes. I could change them, but I don't have that kind of money to throw around....for now. ;)

NICE, by the way.

·
Super Moderator
4,911 Posts
Congrats on the new bike!

·
Registered
11,802 Posts
Welcome, neighbor. I can somewhat relate to your circumstances as I used to work at a state prison (LLCC) in LaGrange. And after having a couple of Hondas and a Triumph way, way back when I went many years without a bike. But in 2009, after living in denial for a long period, bought a Harley. Wish I had done that years ago.

·
luv the low country
20,330 Posts
Welcome from Conway, SC. Great intro and ya got a nice scoot there.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Welcome from the backwoods. If you are happy with the deal you didn't get screwed. If you are really happy, you got a hell of a deal.

·
Breaker of Things
3,358 Posts
Welcome from SE Oklahoma!!! Lots of great ppl/info on here!!!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts