Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure you guys know this already but check the batteries in your security fobs. If they go bad you could be left stranded when the bike won't start. I tried to use the spare fob to start my bike after an oil change and all it did was flash the dash and turn signals. Also I know Sarah had an issue one time with hers. The fob will chirp a signal like a smoke detector telling you the battery is going. In my case the spare fob had sat so long that the chirp stopped on the original owner and he didn't know it when he handed it to me that the battery was already dead since he used the other fob for riding. I just happened to try it and it failed. I only know this info b/c Sarah shared her story of being stranded.

I picked up a two pack of batteries at Home Depot.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,472 Posts
I'd recommend changing the battery at least annually to prevent this or at least reduce the possibility of getting stranded in bumfuqah with a dead fob. I wish HD would come up with a deal like my car has that shows a display of low fob battery long before it leaves you stranded.

·
Registered
11,057 Posts
I just did my annual changing of the batteries in both fobs--and bought another battery that I duct taped to the wall inside a saddlebag.

·
Registered
39,567 Posts
I picked up a two pack of batteries at Home Depot.
I had the fob battery go bad for my truck a few months ago, but luckily for me, I could still use the key to get in the truck.

When I went to Wally World to get a new battery, I found out that to buy a 2 pack of batteries was cheaper to buy a single battery. :loco

On another note, I wonder if the push button fob's batteries last longer than the no button fob? Seems that I am getting much longer usage out of my battery than what other people report.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'm with you on this one. I keep thinking I must learn to turn the bike on without the fob. In the mean time I change every 6 months when I change the batteries in the smoke detectors.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Yeah but , If I lock the car and or my truck with the remote fob then unlock with the key the alarms go crazy .......look at that dumb-ass over there !

·
Banned
71 Posts
I had the fob battery go bad for my truck a few months ago, but luckily for me, I could still use the key to get in the truck.

When I went to Wally World to get a new battery, I found out that to buy a 2 pack of batteries was cheaper to buy a single battery. :loco

On another note, I wonder if the push button fob's batteries last longer than the no button fob? Seems that I am getting much longer usage out of my battery than what other people report.
If the Fob battery goes bad on my Vette, you can use the key to get in ( long evolved story on how to get in tho ) but the motor and the rest of it still will not work .

The wife got locked inside one Aug. afternoon. I know it's funny as he77, but she to this day, still will not laugh about it . Suffice it to say that if you don't have a cell phone on your person, you better know for sure that the Fob is working .

I did come get her out , that is when I stopped laughing long enough to drive . And NO, she was not the one to call me .

:laugh :rollin :rofl:

·
Registered
39,567 Posts
That's strange.

When my battery died, I used my key just like before there was such a thing as alarms.

Unlock the door, stick key in ignition, no alarms going off. :dunno

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,472 Posts
I have a key to get in the door, but it takes the fob to activate the computer to start the engine....no ignition switch.

·
Registered
39,567 Posts
Come to think of it, my Mom's car is like that.... push button ignition.

But there is an RFID chip in the fob so that you can start the vehicle if the fob battery is dead. There is a certain location you place the dead fob to that the RFID chip can be read, and thus be able to start the vehicle.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Come to think of it, my Mom's car is like that.... push button ignition.

But there is an RFID chip in the fob so that you can start the vehicle if the fob battery is dead. There is a certain location you place the dead fob to that the RFID chip can be read, and thus be able to start the vehicle.
On a Vette, without an active Fob , you can not open the doors or windows, electric doors ..............

·
Registered
39,567 Posts
That's kind of dumb of GM to make it that way.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
If the Fob battery goes bad on my Vette, you can use the key to get in ( long evolved story on how to get in tho ) but the motor and the rest of it still will not work .

The wife got locked inside one Aug. afternoon. I know it's funny as he77, but she to this day, still will not laugh about it . Suffice it to say that if you don't have a cell phone on your person, you better know for sure that the Fob is working .

I did come get her out , that is when I stopped laughing long enough to drive . And NO, she was not the one to call me .

:laugh :rollin :rofl:
I'm not laughing..........back in 06 was in Phoenix got in a new 06 Corvette convertible parked in hot garage . It was unlocked & I had left my keys in the house but as I got in the doors locked by themselves . So there I was , locked in a hot as hell car in a hot as hell garage with a dead battery so the horn didn't work nor the power windows nor the electric doors and it was 117 degrees outside and I'm old and claustrophobic . Just before panicking I grabbed the convertible top mechanism (manual top T-handle) and gave it a 225 pound jerk upwards , it came open about six inches & when it did that the power windows dropped down about three inches . About that time my younger brother came out laughing his arss off . Later we found out GM put a hidden unlock switch for us dumb-arsses !
So I can sympathize with your wife for I know how she felt .:biker:

·
Banned
71 Posts
I'm not laughing..........back in 06 was in Phoenix got in a new 06 Corvette convertible parked in hot garage . It was unlocked & I had left my keys in the house but as I got in the doors locked by themselves . So there I was , locked in a hot as hell car in a hot as hell garage with a dead battery so the horn didn't work nor the power windows nor the electric doors and it was 117 degrees outside and I'm old and claustrophobic . Just before panicking I grabbed the convertible top mechanism (manual top T-handle) and gave it a 225 pound jerk upwards , it came open about six inches & when it did that the power windows dropped down about three inches . About that time my younger brother came out laughing his arss off . Later we found out GM put a hidden unlock switch for us dumb-arsses !
So I can sympathize with your wife for I know how she felt .:biker:
My Vette has the removable T-top . Good thing that neither one of them remembered that tho , I can just see the Glass T-Top being tossed off....it'd break into a million pieces on impact .

Moral of the story is : Read the Owners Manual First thing when getting a new vehicle be it a car or a motorcycle . :thumb

·
Rocker Chik
3,317 Posts
With my bike I had warnings a couple of weeks before it went completely dead. The problem was I did not know how to interpret the warnings. It began by my alarm going on briefly even though I had the fob in my pocket. It progressi c Ely got worse. The last day I did not think I was going to be able to ride to work. It took 3 or 4 try before I could start the bike. By lunchtime it had died and I could not start thel bike.

I called the dealer and they were no help. I thought about it for about 15 minutes and looked over the fob. I could see marks like someone had taken it apart. When I opened it and saw the battery it just made sense that it was the problem.

I drove a company car to the drugstore and bought batteries. After changing it the bike started just fine. So, now I know when my bike starts chirpping at me it is time to change it out.

·
las drogas son malas
3,248 Posts
You guys know the bike can be started without the fob, right? Shouldn't be stranded anywhere as long as you know the code / combo.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts