Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...specifically, cars that may pull out in front of you, making either a left or right hand turn.

One thing I realized early on: just riding along, minding my own business... Car stops at any stop sign, and the one thing I've come to do: watch the WHEEL, not the car. The wheel is much smaller, and you'll see it moving WAY before the car does.

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
...specifically, cars that may pull out in front of you, making either a left or right hand turn.

One thing I realized early on: just riding along, minding my own business... Car stops at any stop sign, and the one thing I've come to do: watch the WHEEL, not the car. The wheel is much smaller, and you'll see it moving WAY before the car does.
Also, watch the front wheel when alongside a car in traffic. The wheel will move (turn) before the rest of the car or truck when they are changing lanes - or just swerving.

·
Mississippi Cajun
25,055 Posts
Whenever I ride, my head is on that swivel, and I heed that advice given me so long ago that has proven almost sooo true: Assume all cagers are out to kill you.

·
Registered
213 Posts
good advice.

Lately I have been watching for them riding on the shoulder. Apparently they think this makes them safe while they are texting and facebooking while driving.

Reactions: ZombieOutlaw

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
good advice.

Lately I have been watching for them riding on the shoulder. Apparently they think this makes them safe while they are texting and facebooking while driving.
Say it ain't so! Hopefully very soon one of the high power, scum sucking, ambulance chasing law firms will sue the cell phone manufacturers and the cell providers for not using existing technology to stop folks from cell phone use in a car. Maybe even go after auto makers for putting distracting tech stuff in their cars. Ya' can't look at the screen in the center of your dash and the road at the same time.

I'll step down now :soapbox

·
Mississippi Cajun
25,055 Posts
The more we progress technologically, the more we regress as a society. Almost got run off the slab this morning by a Schwann beer truck with two past middle age adults texting in the cab at 70mph. They were all over the road and got upset at the numerous salutes of the single digit kind they were receiving from folks getting run onto the shoulder. Not a state trooper to be found anywhere today, dammit. BTW, has ANYONE heard of SCHWANN Beer?

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
The more we progress technologically, the more we regress as a society. Almost got run off the slab this morning by a Schwann beer truck with two past middle age adults texting in the cab at 70mph. They were all over the road and got upset at the numerous salutes of the single digit kind they were receiving from folks getting run onto the shoulder. Not a state trooper to be found anywhere today, dammit. BTW, has ANYONE heard of SCHWANN Beer?
never heard of it. But I think they owe you a case after putting you on the shoulder.

·
Registered
26,754 Posts
There is a Schwan's frozen food that delivers to peoples houses.....

·
Mississippi Cajun
25,055 Posts
That looks like the truck, but I'd swear it was a beer wagon....or maybe I was just thinking that this critter had had a bunch of beers before he started driving.

Reactions: Breeze3at

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,119 Posts
Advice given to me a long time ago.. "Ride as though you are invisible.. because you ARE"

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
We are Schwann s customers. They are a very good source of frozen foods. Also a good conscientious company that monitors their employees actions closely . If you happened to get the plate number of the truck, they will take the appropriate action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Mississippi Cajun
25,055 Posts
Wish I could have gotten a plate #, but I was too busy trying to prevent becoming fresh road kill. Might give them a call and see what I can see.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I always have words (when I can) with the idiots who drift onto shoulders or the center turn lane. They don't realize how much crap the kick up. and even if you keep a decent distance behind them you eat it and that pisses me off. STAY IN YOUR LANE. I'll get off MY soap box now:

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
Something for us to remember: A while back I was riding in an urban but not downtown area that was 4 lanes, maybe 45-50 mph. I noticed a rider pull out behind me, and kept a respectable distance behind me for maybe 1/2 mile. I came up to, and signaled my right hand turn. A car was waiting to pull out, from the road I was turning into (he was making L. turn across road). I saw the car drivers head swivel left and right looking at traffic. Just as I straightened up, I heard tire squeal on the road, and looked back. The cage, incorrectly ASSUMED both bikes were together, and making the same turn, so he pulled into the path of the bike that was behind me that was NOT turning.
The bike avoided the cage, and stayed up. The error was the car driver assuming we were together and failed to notice the other bike was not slowing down.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I always have words (when I can) with the idiots who drift onto shoulders or the center turn lane. They don't realize how much crap the kick up. and even if you keep a decent distance behind them you eat it and that pisses me off. STAY IN YOUR LANE. I'll get off MY soap box now:
this is one of the things that bug me. Around here it's not so much that they drift onto the shoulder. They are trying to be polite and pull over so you can pass. I don't get mad or talk down to them, but if I get the chance I explain that they are making it harder to pass, not easier. Most get it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Trucks hauling sand or dirt without beds covered are the worst.. nothing like a sandblasting

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
213 Posts
I always have words (when I can) with the idiots:
I pulled next to a woman that was weaving in traffic and yelled "put the F'n phone down". She said "relax, I have my kids in the car". All the more reason to put the F'n phone down. She said "My dad's a biker". Well he should have damn well taught you better than this!!! :loco

·
Mississippi Cajun
25,055 Posts
Grey, sounds like 90% of the cages around here.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.