Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just recently purchased a 2001 Sportster 883c, overall I am pleased with the bike th only issue I have is that I am having to hold the choke out to start the bike and hold it out for a few min. to keep it running. A friend and I started to look around to figure out what was the problem. We have narrowed it down to water in the tank. Is it ok to put HEET in your tank to fix the problem? I also want to know if it is possible to put a 5 gallon tank on the 883 as a better upgrade for the fuel economy of the bike???

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
I have just recently purchased a 2001 Sportster 883c, overall I am pleased with the bike th only issue I have is that I am having to hold the choke out to start the bike and hold it out for a few min. to keep it running. A friend and I started to look around to figure out what was the problem. We have narrowed it down to water in the tank. Is it ok to put HEET in your tank to fix the problem? I also want to know if it is possible to put a 5 gallon tank on the 883 as a better upgrade for the fuel economy of the bike???

Applying the choke to start a bike, then having it out for a little to keep it running is normal for starting a carbed bike......

If there's water in the gas, drain the gas from the tank, and replace with fresh gas. Don't waste your time putting in additives, when it's easy enough to drain the tank and the carb bowl.

Yes you can add a 5 gallon tank to a sporty, but it won't change your fuel ECONOMY one bit. It will add to your RANGE for driving though.

JPcycle, JCWhitney, Drag Specialties and almost every parts house sells direct bolt on 3, 4, 5 gallon tanks for sporties.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts