Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been polishing and detailing my heritage, and I started wondering about wax on the exhaust pipes...

Will it hurt to wax them? when they get hot will it discolor or damage the chrome?

·
Registered
47 Posts
There are several threads on this. Basically, wax is not a good choice. Better to use a good chrome polish product. I have been using Mothers Chrome Polish because I had it in the cabinet. There were several other products mentioned, but I don't have experience using them on chrome, particularly pipes. Search on "polishing chrome".

·
Registered
11,189 Posts
Wax, or any other coating will just burn off. Clean them good, maybe some chrome polish for the cleaning effect if there are small tar spots. Most of the time a damp microfiber cloth will be all you need to clean them but a little Windex really cleans them up good.

·
Learning Member
466 Posts
I used Stripper Juice on the V&H over the last 3 years and no problems!

·
Registered
569 Posts
I've put wax on my pipes. It stayed on really great, making the water bead up and everything... until I went for a ride.

Yeah, the wax disappears fast when the pipes heat up. Don't think it hurts anything. Just a waste of time and wax. About the only time I do it now is in the winter when the weather gets rainy and snowy enough that I have to store my bike for a couple months. It's a wet cold climate here in the Northwest and I figure the wax is what's kept me from getting any rust on the pipes for those couple months.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
I heard it takes like 150 strippers to make one bottle...
I'm looking for a part time gig. Is that bottling company hiring?

--

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts

·
Alberta Strong
4,478 Posts
I heard it takes like 150 strippers to make one bottle...
Not when I'm around. Flash some Ben Franklin's around and thats all she wrote. You end up with life time supply.
If your scooter is a low rider does that me you need it from a midget stripper?

·
Learning Member
466 Posts
Do you use bottled or freshly squeezed?:eek
Almost spit my tea out - LOL!

I just buy it by the bottle - I only have two bikes . . . now, I understand that frugal Dealersips are getting it freshly squeezed!!!!

·
Senile Member
1,713 Posts
I saw a stripper who was lactating, squirt guys in the face. I got up from the peanut gallery and moved back. I assume that was liquid stripper...

Otherwise, I use that spray polish from Harley. I put that shit on everything.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have been using wax and sealants on my exhaust for over 40 yrs. If you want them to look good you need to put something protective on them. I'd be careful with some chrome POLISH as it is made to clean with an abrasive and will screw up your chrome over time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts