Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just went through a two major ice storm with 5 inches of snow/rain in between. Not only went 8 days with no power, but our back up generator failed and had to keep a 2 story house from freezing with only a fireplace. Burned almost 2 cords of wood in 9 days. The worst part an 18 inch diameter tree snapped off and missed the corner of the garage by less than a foot. That tree extends over 30 feet past that corner of the garage. Six feet to the left and it would have hit my gas tank. LUCKY.....:eek:eek

Attachments

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
First of all, I'm glad you're all safe. I feel for you. However, on a lighter note, I just made a post about how much I loved my recent visit to TN. Don't ruin it for me!

·
luv the low country
19,251 Posts
Wow, very lucky, that's no small tree, could have done some serious damage. The up-side is you have more fire wood.:nod

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
Glad you made it through.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,457 Posts
Good thing about the tree branch is that it missed doing damage, and you have something to augment your firewood supply that you've been burning through. Glad no damage. That would have sucked big time.

·
Nocturnal Ancestor
6,673 Posts
Glad its not any worse, Them ice storms are the worst. bout eight years ago had power out for three days...just glad i had them wall mount gas heaters, one in front and one in the rear of house and they kept things warm.
Remember ice storm as a kid and it made town look like tonado hit.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
We didn't lose any trees, only a few limbs here and there. We only lost power for a few minutes. My mom lost power for six days north of Crossville. Only had a generator for the last two. Glad you made it through OK.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Glad you folks made out OK. Lucky for the fireplace and some good firewood...
We like winter up north here, with snowmobiling, etc., but this year has been too much of a good thing...winter temps way down this year...pellet stoves are a lifesaver up here...
Stay warm...

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Too close. Missed the garage by inches didn't it?

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
Pretty high pucker factor there when you think of what it could have been.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
StreetBob, you anywhere close to Crossville?

I got a good friend who lives just outside Crossville who sound like he's going through the same storms and mess you are. Long time without power, and about 1000 damaged trees on his land. Lifetime supply of firewood. I am hoping to come up there this spring and give him a few work days with a chainsaw and trailer.

Prayers up for all y'all up in them parts.

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
Whoa!

·
Registered
1,605 Posts

I got a good friend who lives just outside Crossville who sound like he's going through the same storms and mess you are. Long time without power, and about 1000 damaged trees on his land. Lifetime supply of firewood. I am hoping to come up there this spring and give him a few work days with a chainsaw and trailer.

My mom lives just north of crossville. I'm just down the mountain in cookeville and Russ is just west of me.

The line workers are almost caught up with the outages. Thing are slowly getting back to normal up there.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Yes, very close. I live between Clarkrange and Monterey, just off State Highway 62. Crossville is like 15 miles south of me. Yeah, same storms. It's just been brutal.

And I am STILL puckered.. lol

K-Man, I moved out of Cookeville up here to the Plateau (which I refer to as the Tennessee Glacier) this past early part of Jan.

·
Flat Land Redneck
2,765 Posts
Glad you and yours are safe. Thankful it wasn't worse. I can relate to being without power for 8 days. It happened to me last year.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Wow Russ! I thought you went west of cookeville... The stupid weather up there is why I left crossville! I'm bugging the wife and kids to go back to Florida... Mom and the youngest daughter want to move closer to Knoxville... No thanks!

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow Russ! I thought you went west of cookeville... The stupid weather up there is why I left crossville! I'm bugging the wife and kids to go back to Florida... Mom and the youngest daughter want to move closer to Knoxville... No thanks!
Glad I'm not in your shoes... lol.... :):)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts