Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to using a lift to service my bike. I just got the J & S lift. Today I have new tires sitting here which will go on after the season is over. For me that will be the first time they spread salt on the roads then I am done till next spring. My plan is to take the wheels off the bike myself then having a local indy shop do the mount and balance.
Here's my question.
Is the bike going to balance okay up on the lift with both wheels off? It seems to me that it would be light in the ass end. I don't want any mishaps.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Always best to strap the bike to the jack, however, the J&S jack is pretty stable without them.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
I started out using the tie downs every time the bike was on the lift, then only on wheel removal, now...... Nothing. Lol. Even pulling both wheels. It's ultimately your choice.

·
South GA Redneck
3,898 Posts
As stated its always best to use strap. But if you don't, don't pick it up any higher than necessary so if it tips over it doesn't have too far to fall!! It is a real pain to get a bike with no wheels back up on a lift....ask me how I know :)

·
The Fighting Chicken
4,006 Posts
I started out using the tie downs every time the bike was on the lift, then only on wheel removal, now...... Nothing. Lol. Even pulling both wheels. It's ultimately your choice.

I've never strapped on...... ;)

If I do some serious wrench pulling I just keep an eye on the bike so it doesn't shift.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
If you make sure bike is balanced......I've skipped straps. Even with removing tires. Wheels/tires are 40lbs with 16" wheels. Adjust accordingly.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've got a J&S jack. With the jack installed per instructions the bike does seem to be a little "ass" heavy. (Maybe pulling all the crap out of the tour pak would help!). However, I have had it up on the jack and removed the rear wheel no problems, the bike was not strapped down. That said, since it appears to be "ass" heavy removing the front wheel might present a problem, but I don't know for sure haven't done it. I think were I to remove the front wheel I would just raise it enough to get the front wheel off the ground. It comes up first anyway, leaving the rear wheel on the ground to prevent an upset. The drawback to that is the bike and jack are pretty much immobile at this point.

·
Viet Nam 69/70
2,289 Posts
I'd remove rear 1st. All that's been posted is good. When I am in the serious mode I do put blocks under the tires. Just enough so the bike does not rock fore and aft on the jack.

If I was just pulling the front I would for sure and for certain have blocks under the rear. But my bags are loaded also and I don't remove them, unless...

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok thanks for the advice. I want to take both wheels off so I can have new tires mounted for next year so I'm gonna go with strappin it to the lift at first till I get the feel of it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts