Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased and Ultra Classic and it is showing 40psi in the air suspension and when I ride it, the pressure will go as high as 80psi. I've tried to release the pressure by pumping 3-5 pounds and then releasing, as to not lose any oil. Problem is that no air goes in and I can't release any out. I tried to back out the Schrader valve a turn or 2 to help the pump make connection with the valve and nothing. I have pulled the valve all the way out and it is still holding 40psi. Anyone know if this is a common problem, or do I have a one-off problem here. Also, the manual doesn't state anything about checking and adjusting the air pressure cold vs. hot. Any ideas on which is best? Thanks.

·
Registered
12,460 Posts
IMHO, the best "fix" is to replace the air shocks. And you don't have to spend a fortune unless you just want to. On two Road Glides I replaced the air shocks with the HD adjustable and was very pleased.

·
Retired citizen
25,388 Posts
I recently purchased and Ultra Classic and it is showing 40psi in the air suspension and when I ride it, the pressure will go as high as 80psi. I've tried to release the pressure by pumping 3-5 pounds and then releasing, as to not lose any oil. Problem is that no air goes in and I can't release any out. I tried to back out the Schrader valve a turn or 2 to help the pump make connection with the valve and nothing. I have pulled the valve all the way out and it is still holding 40psi. Anyone know if this is a common problem, or do I have a one-off problem here. Also, the manual doesn't state anything about checking and adjusting the air pressure cold vs. hot. Any ideas on which is best? Thanks.
Depending on model year some Ultras had 2 air valves, front and rear. Make sure you're checking the rear pressure.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I'd suggest spending a bit of coin. I got tired of checking and servicing those shocks and finally took my damn air shocks off the rear and put Legend suspension on it and changed my life. Lots of superb after market suspension any of which are better that OEM. My '14 Ultra is wonderful now. I did change the forks too. Best upgrade I have done to date. Ride and handling are WAY better

1 - 4 of 4 Posts