Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally warm enough in Iowa today to get the 2005 Softail out and about. It started right up, using a Battery Tender and Sta-bil worked great. Anyway on the right side I am hearning a noise that sounds like a chain spinning. You can hear it at idle it gets slightly louder as I go thru the gears. I don't think the noise was there in the fall. I did have the oil and filter changed along with a new front tire. This is the 2nd season I have owned it so maybe it just needs to be ridden more? Let me your thoughts, thanks!

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Finally warm enough in Iowa today to get the 2005 Softail out and about. It started right up, using a Battery Tender and Sta-bil worked great. Anyway on the right side I am hearning a noise that sounds like a chain spinning. You can hear it at idle it gets slightly louder as I go thru the gears. I don't think the noise was there in the fall. I did have the oil and filter changed along with a new front tire. This is the 2nd season I have owned it so maybe it just needs to be ridden more? Let me your thoughts, thanks!
Can tensioner chain. That you can hear it is not a good sign. Pull the can cover and inspect the shoes for wear.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts
^ +1 That doesn't sound like a problem from sitting. Failure of the cam chain tensioner, can be real serious.. don't wait on this one.

·
Fast Lane Crew
438 Posts
I agree with the above replies. Be sure you look after that problem before you even attempt to go anywhere with your bike. Could be big problems if you don't take care of that.

BTW, what's the mileage on your ride?

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Failure on the 2005 softail would be pretty rare, but certainly possible. It's probably worth the cost of the cam cover gasket to take a peek just to make sure.

I would be very surprised if it were actually a problem on the 2005 unless it's a very high miles. The failure is More rare on a Softail and rare in general by 2005.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
318 Posts
Chain Tensioner right side? Check inside Air cleaner for Mice. There's nothing on the right side but tranny and starter covers.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Bet he thinks we're talking right side as in when facing the bike, not on it.. takin' odds????:)
If that were true, there is that little trivial part called the primary. It can make a bit of noise at times:)

·
Registered
318 Posts
Bet he thinks we're talking right side as in when facing the bike, not on it.. takin' odds????:)
Ya, that's how my manual describes it too.

·
Registered
318 Posts
If that were true, there is that little trivial part called the primary. It can make a bit of noise at times:)

My primary is on the clutch, shifter, left side. right and left isn't described the same on bikes as on cars. At least not where I come from or in my manual.
But this isn't helping the OP.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
My primary is on the clutch, shifter, left side. right and left isn't described the same on bikes as on cars. At least not where I come from or in my manual.
But this isn't helping the OP.
Dead center of the photo, under the air cleaner. Can chest holds the lifters , cams, and oil pump. There are two chains and tensioners (inner and outer) on the can support plate.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Attachments

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
And, it's a Softail. It also has the counterbalance drive chain.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts

Primary?? Is that the thingy next to the waddya call it? Very true Chas, but ya wouldn't hear a chain spinning at idle.

Ranger73... not lookin to p!ss ya off, made a comment probably should have thought about it before pressing the send key...my bad.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Weird Noise

Thanks for all the help. The noise is low on the throttle side of the bike. It has 21,000 miles on it so I guess a trip to the shop is in order. Maybe its a good thing I took out an extended warranty.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Thanks for all the help. The noise is low on the throttle side of the bike. It has 21,000 miles on it so I guess a trip to the shop is in order. Maybe its a good thing I took out an extended warranty.
The cam drive chains are just below the tappet covers. The counter-balance drive chain is also on that side and runs along the bottom of the motor. The front sprocket for it is in the lower front corner.

A failing cam chain tensioner, based on many comments and research, will not manifest itself simply through chain noise.

Did you just switch to a different brand of oil? It has been my experience that certain oils, specifically synthetics, tend to make the engine a bit noisier. I don't know exactly why, but it just seems that way.

FWIW, I rode an '04 Heritage Softail Classic for a couple of years and I could always hear the chains spinning on the both sides. You can hear the primary chain on the left and at least one of the chains on the right. I was never sure if the right side was the counterbalance or the cam drive, but it was certainly a spinning chain. I never worried about it. It just seemed "normal" to me. The bike ran great.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts
Did you just switch to a different brand of oil? It has been my experience that certain oils, specifically synthetics, tend to make the engine a bit noisier. I don't know exactly why, but it just seems that way.
Good thinking Chas... synthetic made my engine noisier, there is a pronounced spinning chain noise. Only started when I switched to synthetic.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Weird Noise

Good thinking Chas... synthetic made my engine noisier, there is a pronounced spinning chain noise. Only started when I switched to synthetic.
The oil & filter where changed in the Fall at the local H/D shop. To be honest I don't remember if they used synthetic or not. The bike runs just fine but there is that spinning chain noise on the right side.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts
The oil & filter where changed in the Fall at the local H/D shop. To be honest I don't remember if they used synthetic or not. The bike runs just fine but there is that spinning chain noise on the right side.
Does it sound like a p!ssed off sewing machine?? If so, thats the noise. But I'd confirm what oil ya got in there first.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts