Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy ya'll. I have a 2001 Road King Police bike with a cracked swingarm. I have a used replacement and I would like to know if it can be bolstered up before R&R. The OE cracked right thru the belt side axle hole.

·
Retired citizen
24,290 Posts
Nope, I been there and done that already. The metal is already annealed, brittle ...
That happens because the techs changing the tires over torque the axle nuts. Then eventually the swingarm cracks !
Gotta put a new swingarm in IMO.
So you already have a new swingarm installed ? Then don't do anything to it. Just make sure the axle is torqued correctly when you get the tire changed.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, replacement is not installed yet. I've gotta go get the bushings and have them pressed in. They want to sell me all of the small parts for about 300.00 bucks.

·
Retired citizen
24,290 Posts
$300.00 !!! Shit, buy the bushings from J&P or somebody. Press them in yourself. Use a long threaded rod with washers and nuts, put the rod thru end to end of swingarm with the washers and tighten the nuts on until the bushings are flush at the swingarm on both sides.
Do a search for swingarm bushing install, there's probably some online videos on the subject.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Getting them pressed in is no prob, but the shops want to sell all the parts such as pivot bolt and all the spacers and washer etc. I have never tackled any thing regarding a swingarm as all I have been ridin on for the past 25 yr was mainly a rigid pan. I guess that I'll learn something now.

·
Retired citizen
24,290 Posts
The pivot bolt can be reused if it comes out okay. The only thing you should need is the bushings.
If you do a search here I posted up picks on doing a complete swingarm rebuild, had to cut the old one out of a bagger cause the pivot bolt was froze up in the trans case.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh boy I can't wait for that! Thanx SCHMIDTYS!! I'll look for the pix in a day or so.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts