Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for input on thermal arc welders. Saw them at my local store while I was I'm checking out a miller 211. Does any one have any experience with them. I know they are made by victor. The price point for what you get is great and most reviews seem positive. a big advantage is getting the availability of tig too if I every wanted to try to pick it up

·
Banned
19,464 Posts
I'm a MIG and TIG man, myself, but I struck my first arc on a Lincoln Electric arc when I was 10 years old. I hate stick-welding with a passion, but sad to say I'm pretty good.

These days, I know how to work my millermatic 250X like most people can work an arc. I can get in deeper and more precise with my MIG. Granted, I had to buy a Miller Roughneck gun to be able to do the things I do, but, I can weld just as heavy and deep as an arc up to 3/4" steel.

Either way, good luck with your arc and let us know how she welds. :thumbsup

·
Poser Member # 99
17,549 Posts
Mller 250 mig with a tweco 2 gun is a good starter mig . You can add a spool gun and switch to aluminum welding . you can get comsumable most places . they run .030. or .035 wire. theres lot of selecton of different wires for different applications pretty much trouble free . they hold there resale value

Miller Blue

They make great plasma cutters too Miller 2050 will cut any thing up to an 1" thick

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,104 Posts
My Mom was proud of being a welder

My mom had permanent arc-flash sunburn on her neck on both sides in the shape of her mask's edge

from working in the Jeffersonville Indiana shipyard in WWII, crewed almost entirely by women,

she was proud to say she was rated Class A or III, I forget, but it meant that she did horizontal,

bulkheads. overheads, plus fittings, they built 115 LST ( Landing Ship, TANK)

On one run those 115 ships could land 2070 Sherman Tanks on a sandy beach.

In total, eighteen shipyards produced more than a thousand LSTs in three years, a remarkable feat by any reckoning.

The LST was built in a variety of "Cornfield Navy" shipyards, in rather unlikely locales: Seneca, Ill.; Evansville and Jeffersonville, Ind.; and Pittsburgh and Ambridge, Penn. The Navy was forced to modify bridges, through a "Ferry Command," to bring the LSTs to the oceans. About 670 LSTs were constructed inland.

Videos: LST 325 - Virtual Tour - Evansville, IN | Evansville Courier & Press

1 - 6 of 6 Posts