Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
IBA Member 40248
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:bangheadHad to share this experience on this forum as many of you can relate and share in my....pain.. haha...

While riding yesterday at dusk in about 33 degree temps, I decided to grab a quick dinner at one of my favorite restaurants in Olde Towne Alexandria, VA.. As I was turning around in a "varsity" move to pre-position my bike for the departure, I went to put the kickstand down and............yes.. nice thick patch of ice.. my foot when one way, the bike (2008 Ultraglide) went PLOP!! I literally grunted to ease the deafening impact of my baby hitting the asphalt. In yet another "varsity" move, I tried to lift the 800+lb bike on my own as taught to me by a motorcop buddy of mine.. turn around.. grab the grip, saddlebag guards, plant my feet and LIFT.. haha.. to my dismay, my feet were planted right on the ice.. do the math from there.. Thank God a buddy of mine saw me outside and helped me upright my land-yacht.. As I've been told, there are two kinds of riders.. ones that have put a bike down, and ones that will.. Glad I'm now on the other side....

As a side note, the bike only sustained MINOR damage on the saddlebag guards and foot boards.. still... MY BABY!!!!

:banghead:banghead:banghead

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Them crash bars really save a bike in that situation.
It`s good they don`t go down flat on their side as then you would need a couple of buds to get it back up.
OOOPS I guess thats what happened to Me after a couple of buds,Maby I should change that to friends.:drunk:drunk:drunk

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
I laid my 1965 BSA down back in 1971, the kick stand broke,I was siting on it at the time. back then I was 140lbs. I hope that counts I can't see myself picking up the sporty. Hope it doesn't cost you too much to repair.

·
SNAFU organizer
4,127 Posts
Ha when it goes over it's best to just step back and look for a couple minutes, have a cig and then go about jacking it back up.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,173 Posts
In front of a resturant full of people, funny how often drop stories happen someplace like that.
Glad you didn't get pinned underneath, its my experience ankles break when that happens.
Even when it's only a 600 lb bike.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Glad your OK. At least you were out riding that sucker. It's kinda hard dropping it when it's sitting in the garage.

·
What?
3,256 Posts
I came real close to doing that last weekend. It wasn't ice, but just sand/dirt. I pulled into my favorite store, swung around and was pushing my self backwards into the parking space. About the final time I was happy with my position, my left foot slipped. Luckily I was able to correct it before I sat it right down.

I know the times coming, but I'll try to hold 'er off as long as possible!

Glad your ok, sorry about the scratches.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Glad to hear the only thing hurt was your pride. Any biker that says he never dropped his bike, just got it or never rides it. It's a fact of life if you ride sooner or later you will fall. The trick is not to hit real hard when you do & try to space em a long way apart. I've been riding for about 40 years, my last tumble was 9/07 (watch out for women on cell phones). Them ultras are a lot heavyer with a broken collar bone. You got yours out of the way with just a few scratches. Now all you have to do now is to work on it not happening again for a long long time. Stay safe & Merry Christmas

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,173 Posts
It's kinda hard dropping it when it's sitting in the garage
Didn't Steve tell us he dropped about four bikes at once,
while they were sitting in his garage? :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
39,438 Posts
Yes, but I'll bet that took monumentous effort to accomplish!

:D

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,173 Posts
....or those damned gremlins.

·
Banned
655 Posts
I dropped mine at what had been decided by the street department to be a 15mph curve - to me a 3 way stop would have been a better decision. No worries - gravel driveway - straightened bike up took it into the driveway and came to a beautiful stop - right foot slid - dropped it. I picked it up. Yes my back hurt - thought I was gonna pass out and I am positive something ripped. But - I picked it up. 395lbs.

Fortunately I had my wits about me enough to remember back to the course I took and if you ever drop a bike on it's right side - put the kick stand down so you don't flip it back over the other way. I remembered. Thank Goodness. Glad your ok man - bikes can be fixed - persons on bike - not so easily.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Some bikes go over easier than others, everything else being equal. My 750 Nighthawk being a little tall would give me an occasional scare even at 500 lb. Dropped my Electra Glide twice. I think it was a combination of a little tall and a wide seat that made it hard for my short inseam. (ExcusesExcuses) My '05 Superglide is so well balanced, and lower, that I haven't come close to losing it, Y E T.

·
IBA Member 40248
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to all.. I feel better after reading all your posts and stories. After only riding since April of this year, its quite true this is really a fraternity. While my pride was a little damaged, I knew posting on here would bring my spirits up a bit. And yes, at least I'm out riding. I'm pushing father winter as far back as I can.. but based on the weather reports, its coming.. It is so funny how this could only happen in front of a restaurant full of people. When I came in, you could tell there were no riders at the bar. If there were, I'm sure they would have patted me on the back and said, "welcome to the club" and proceed to tell me their own stories. Its nice to be part of this brother/sisterhood! Thanks again to everyone and keep the stories coming. They are pretty entertaining!

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
there`s been times,like with the ice or the oil on water,that were close.
The times I did tip over was when i`d back up to the curb and get to bsing with a couple of buds and forget to put the stand down.
The first time it happened I tried to catch it and I got damaged worse than the bike,After that I learned to just step aside and leter go.
them crash bars on the old electraglides really save the day.
Does`nt even whack the mirrors out of alignment.
It`s a chore getting em picked up again.:D

Reactions: 1/2 Ton

·
Registered
333 Posts
I pulled a good one this summer, pulled over at a local tourist attraction,when I was leaving I forgot I locked my forks and took off........on gravel...... I went down, hard, foot got caught in rear wheel, tore my shoe off, luckily all I tore up was my handgrip and a couple scratches on my pipes down low. Thank GOD no one was around.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,173 Posts
Many years ago, on a trip on the Blue Ridge Parkway with my wife on the back and lots of gear strapped on the sissy bar of my new '75 SuperGlide, I would get so accustomed to the low center of gravity and perfect balance and sweeping curves, 3 times I pulled up and stopped without putting my feet down and WHAM, down we'd go, once was under the covered entrance at a Holiday Inn with all the people at the front desk watching.

·
Registered
83 Posts
1972, First brand new bike. A Honda CB450K5 Red cost $1250.00 . A bunch of people were partying in the front yard of a good friend of mine. I rode up to show off my new bike, pulled right into the front grass stoped and forgot to put my feet down. Fell right over, bike on top of my leg burning the shit out of me. All everyone could do was stand there and laugh like hell. They did get the bike off my leg and stand it up. This was not one of my better moments in life but after my leg quit burning so bad I had a good laugh too

·
Registered
5 Posts
glad to hear ur ok. i laid my first bike (1979 KZ1000) down 3 weeks after i got it. made a left turn pulling out of walmart and noticed my kickstand was still down, went to kick it back up and my right hand twitched, sure enough the back tire spun and took the bike right out from under me. broke off the left tail light, scratched up the crank case pretty good, and dented the headlight and speedo guards, the footpeg also left a decent gouge in the asphault. i started laughing at my own stupidity and it took me a couple attempts at different lifting points (first time i ripped the seat out of its latch) before i finally got the 600 lb bastard up, closed the turn signal in the seat and went home.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts