Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and i couldn't find them!
here is question/problem... first oil change i preformed on bike. i mistakenly overfilled the oil tank. i read the 'owners manual', it states 3.5qts. i filled with 3.5qts . started and ran engine for 2 minutes. shut it off checked oil level,, of course.... 1qt over. now engine will not start, red light showing on dash.. starter does not attempt to engage. must be a safety mode for idiots like me... question, what the hell did i screw up , and how bad is it??

·
Banned
71 Posts
and i couldn't find them!
here is question/problem... first oil change i preformed on bike. i mistakenly overfilled the oil tank. i read the 'owners manual', it states 3.5qts. i filled with 3.5qts . started and ran engine for 2 minutes. shut it off checked oil level,, of course.... 1qt over. now engine will not start, red light showing on dash.. starter does not attempt to engage. must be a safety mode for idiots like me... question, what the hell did i screw up , and how bad is it??
Kill switch turned ON ????

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
3.5 qts. should NOT yield 1 qt. over filled, but just right.
Probably kill switch.:what?

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I'm guessing Softail and he changed the oil with the motor cold. If he's over a full quart, it was probably sitting a while since last started.

Close?

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
The "proper",way to change oil, is to run engine until warm. Get everything ready. Start engine, run for about a minute. Stop, drain oil until no more comes out. Refill with 3 quarts of oil. Start, run until warm and check the oil. should be , with the oil warm, below the top mark. If real low, add some oil to bring it to just below the top mark. There's nothing you did that would keep it from starting. Most likely the stop/run switch got bumped.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
You have to love the people that only join the forum when they have their first problem and then never see them again until the next problem.

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
Heck ya he's gone. Most likely seen he had the kill switch on and has already forgotten about the forum.:asshat
Like he`s the only one who`s ever done it. Just so few will admit it.
Yea.....I`v done it. But learned from my mistakes.
Each time it happened it took me a little less time to remember to check it. :D

·
Banned
71 Posts
Like he`s the only one who`s ever done it. Just so few will admit it.
Yea.....I`v done it. But learned from my mistakes.
Each time it happened it took me a little less time to remember to check it. :D
You can't leave.........the basement door is locked . :)

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
Be a hard run...........meet me in the middle .
You never know.
Have long thought about moving West. Texas being at the top of my list. Then Arizona, New Mexico is a close third.
A life long Friend and wife now live in N.M. Have a standing offer of a room until I could get on my feet.

If I ever get out to that part of the Country I may never come back.

·
Banned
71 Posts
You never know.
Have long thought about moving West. Texas being at the top of my list. Then Arizona, New Mexico is a close third.
A life long Friend and wife now live in N.M. Have a standing offer of a room until I could get on my feet.

If I ever get out to that part of the Country I may never come back.
Gods country is hard to leave . :)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts