Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any encounters with a brand new Harley seat soaking up rain and staying wet inside for weeks? My wife's brand new sportster got caught in the rain weeks ago, and now every time she rides water squeezes out of the seam on the left side of the seat. The part of her pants touching that seam gets a big wet spot. It's been covered since that original day in the rain.
Is it commonplace for seats to soak up water and leak like that? I've been in a few downpours on my own bike and haven't experienced that so this seems like a defective seat.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
13,046 Posts
Take seat off put it in sun before moisture ruins the seat.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Has anyone had any encounters with a brand new Harley seat soaking up rain and staying wet inside for weeks? My wife's brand new sportster got caught in the rain weeks ago, and now every time she rides water squeezes out of the seam on the left side of the seat. The part of her pants touching that seam gets a big wet spot. It's been covered since that original day in the rain.
Is it commonplace for seats to soak up water and leak like that? I've been in a few downpours on my own bike and haven't experienced that so this seems like a defective seat.

You have a seam leaking (as in not being sealed) and thats a defect in the seat cover . Take it back .

·
Harley Rider
10,488 Posts
Sounds like the water is getting inside. Shouldn't happen.

·
Mississippi Cajun
25,045 Posts
Yep, shouldn't leak....HD's problem if new and in warranty. Bring it back.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback. Contacted the dealer, unfortunately they are not of the same opinion as you guys. They said the only we could do is try to use a seam sealer. For now the seat is off the bike and dryng up in the house.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. Contacted the dealer, unfortunately they are not of the same opinion as you guys. They said the only we could do is try to use a seam sealer. For now the seat is off the bike and dryng up in the house.

Don't let them get away with that :cowdung
Keep after them, file a report with the area manager if you have too .

·
09 Dyna Super Glide
1,691 Posts
You have just encountered the stock Harley Davidson Dealer response to just about any problem that you may encounter with your motorcycle - "It's not their fault." "If you don't like it, fix it yourself."

There is a solution that is both functional and morally satisfying - file suit in small claims court. I am truly surprised that more people do not avail themselves of this option.

This is just another in a long list of Harley Davidson defects that they would rather avoid than correct. With so much of the content of Harley Davidson motorcycles being made in the third-world, including North Korea, Harley is constantly trying play catch up with foreign-made parts and components that do not perform to specs.

If you have a seam that lets water in, there is no viable way to dry out the foam inside the seat through that seam. If the seat is under warranty, then I would compel them to replace it or tell a judge whey they won't.

Applying a seam sealer at this stage of the defect is not going to be very effective. Wouldn't it be great if you could buy an American made motorcycle?

Pete

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
If you have another dealership or two you can get to they might do the right thing. I've had other dealerships fix warranty problems for me. Otherwise I'd go the limit if I were you. That is wrong and they should fix it.

·
Senile Member
1,713 Posts
1. call the owner and tell him your problem.
2. call a different dealer - (who may become your new go to dealer)
3. put the seat in the car on a sunny day with a window cracked a half inch. (so moisture can get out)
4. Leave the seat in the house in a sunny window until the next time you go out.
5. DO NOT seam seal it until you're sure the seat is bone dry.
6. take a small bottle of deer urine and while you are getting a new oil filter, squirt some on a couple racks of parts. (give them a real reason to stink)

·
Retired citizen
24,344 Posts
Stand the seat on end when drying so the water runs out.
You can also try the MoCo customer service hot line.

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
Playing one dealer off against the other is a great plan. I have 4 within 30 mins from my house. Works like a charm. None wants to lose your business, especially the one where you bought a scoot.

One dealership likes to use Facebook ALOT! When they posted "We'er going to be closed on Mondays in the future to give our wonderful employees extra rest"... I responded with "Bummer. I guess I'll have to go to dealer X and dealer Y on Mondays now".... they deleted it in a nanosecond.

Reactions: GotGold

·
Señor Member
19,831 Posts
BIL Jason's stock seat on his SE Fatbob has suede highlights that soak up rain. He's always got swass when we ride and it rains.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My husband bought a brand new seat and it holds water. He took it back to the Harley store and they wouldn't take it back because they said it wasn't a defect. They said all seats with stitching will do that..... they didn't tell him that when he purchased it and the Harley company refused to do anything about it

·
Banned
1,658 Posts
I have Mustang seat made of Naugahyde. Still has threads. Used Armore All Leather Conditioner for my Corbin saddle. Worked great. Once sat in front of motel in rain all night had puddle in seat. Splash water out and dry with napkins, good to go.
Still use it on Mustang seat.

tarheel

·
Registered
73 Posts
My 2014 Limited does the same, even after I had the ripped seat re-covered. Also, the pillion backrest fills up, then empties when I open the TourPak. I must find some sealer.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Your best bet is Harley Customer service. A little seepage is expected but it sounds like seat was never sealed properly.
'
'
Harley-Davidson Customer Service
MILWAUKEE (414) 343-4056
1-800-258-2464

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Here in Britain we have more rain than sunshine so I should have some idea what seats should do and not be doing ,I have had 4 Harley's in total and not one seat ever had an issue with letting in rain after standing out in it .
The shape of the seat whilst riding was different and rain used to puddle right where you wouldn't like water sitting so once you were wet it looked like you pee'd yourself I never owned rain gear , even now I still don't own rain gear and if get caught out in it oh well but I must say with the tri glide batwing fairing rain water just doesn't get to where it used to on the other bikes .
Nowadays I choose when I ride and don't plan on actually setting off in rain if I get caught out whilst out that is different oh and our rain is always cold even in summer.
So that makes you miserable for a start , if your dealership uses face book I would for sure hi light the problem on their face book page and hi light their response for all to see , these companies should be shown up for what they are they very easily take your hard earned money but any issues they dont want to know.
They will soon take note when other prospective buyers see how they behave and choose somewhere else to buy from .

1 - 20 of 23 Posts