Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Touch my monkey....
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got out and rode today. It felt great. I left the house at 9:00am, at an almost summery feeling 42* :rolleyes:. I rode 116 miles today, going to the post office and finally getting my bike inspected, after owning it since October. (although most of the time, it was in pieces or being worked on.)

After that, I noted that my handlebars were crooked. I had to readjust the forks, as they too weren't true and straight. I hadn't seen this tooling around town as I'm always looking at traffic and what not. I saw it when I was on the highway for a bit today, and it's amazing what you notice, when boredom sets in....

My small, annoying but noticable oil leak is gone too, thanks to a faulty oil PSI sending unit that was leaking like the Exxon Valdez. I hate oil leaks, or leaks of any kind, more than anything...

Sometimes, I have to wonder what exactly happens to a bike in it's life time, that at one point, a bike is leaking from a sending unit AND a bad 5th gear bearing seal, dry-as-a-BONE wheel bearings and the way to deal with it, was to trade it in rather than fix it.....(??) :confused:

At almost lunch time, I met up with a friend, and he just completed a 95" install on his 2000 Fatboy, so we saddled up and went out for a ride to another friend's house. Once there, we helped him finish up the brake job he was doing to his Holden/Pontiac GTO. I took it for a test ride to make sure all was OK. What a nice car....

We then proceeded to ride the looooooong way home, and I finally pealed off as we reached the south side of the Blue Mountain, so I could ride home, and my friend could go his way, farther south, closer to the city. It was 62* by this time, and I want summer more now than ever. :mad:

Upon coming home, 2 neighbors came over and we each drank 3 beers a piece, and enjoyed the remaining March sunlight, bad mouthed the mechanics and electrics of British cars, (long story) watched the neighbor's 2 labs play in my yard, and overall, ended a great day. As we finished up, my wife and daughter came strolling home, and I went inside and made dinner for everyone.

As the American Indians used to say, "It's a good day to die." I'd rather live to see another day, of course, but today was as therapeutic, as it was warm for this time of year. :cool:

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Excellent Dave! In a way, since you've only had it since October, with winter in between, it's still almost like a new bike. Two wheels for some of us, is like medicine for the soul.

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Badmouthing British electrics is like pushing around a 1st grade girl.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,505 Posts
You know why the Brits drink beer warm,
and don't put ice in their drinks?
Lucas refrigerators.

·
......My Title......
1,061 Posts
We then proceeded to ride the looooooong way home, and I finally pealed off as we reached the south side of the Blue Mountain, so I could ride home, and my friend could go his way, farther south, closer to the city. It was 62* by this time, and I want summer more now than ever.
After riding the past few days I feel the same way!!! I want summer NOW!!! :D

Sounds like you had a good day!

·
Touch my monkey....
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,505 Posts
"..his Holden/Pontiac GTO. I took it for a test ride to make sure all was OK. What a nice car.... "
That's my ride too. While it's got the same 6 liter engine (unless his was a 2004) as my wife's '05 Corvette, it's really a much nicer car to ride in. Before I got mine I saw a Car and Driver article that said "if you're wanting a BMW, don't test drive this car."

·
Touch my monkey....
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's my ride too. While it's got the same 6 liter engine (unless his was a 2004) as my wife's '05 Corvette, it's really a much nicer car to ride in. Before I got mine I saw a Car and Driver article that said "if you're wanting a BMW, don't test drive this car."
Jim's has an LS1 engine, (2004) and his son has a 2006 with an LS2 in it. I like the fact that you can turn the traction control off and on. It is comfortable. Not quite the history or charm of a Vette, but cool none the less. :D

They eat tires in 10K-12K with conservative driving. The rear has soooo much negative camber on it, and the front is at 3* or 4* as well, not helping the issue. It's reall tough to stay out of the gas pedal.

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,505 Posts
With a manual 6 spd, I get 21 to 23 mpg commuting.
The Corvette with an auto does even better.

·
Touch my monkey....
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
With a manual 6 spd, I get 21 to 23 mpg commuting.
The Corvette with an auto does even better.

The GTOs are all automatic, as far as I know....

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,505 Posts
Ummm no, not true.. the GTO actually uses the same 6sp manual as the Viper, just different gear ratios.

I don't have the transmission breakdown data on the 2004 for some reason,
just the total, 15,728

Quantity 2005 Pontiac GTO

Transmission
61.51% 6809 Manual MN6
38.49% 4260 Automatic MX0

Quantity 2006 Pontiac GTO

Transmission
62.83% 8764 Manual MN6
37.17% 5184 Automatic MX0

Damn good thing, I was going to be really pissed if I had no place to put this thing...

Attachments

·
Touch my monkey....
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ummm no, not true..
I was misinformed. That's a SWEET clutch and fly wheel!!! :D Man....who makes that?

Obviously lightened.

·
......My Title......
1,061 Posts
sorry off topic but I just noticed your signature Dave :rofl:

Dave

95 Dyna
Mods list:
Loose left grip
Tires x3 lbs under filled
Road dirt on Gremlin bell
Added weight due to chrome.
Bought and paid for. :D

·
Touch my monkey....
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I used to belong to a sportbike forum where these guys felt the need to put every mod they ever made, in their sig lines. That's OK, but it gets a little lame when you start listing stickers, light up valve stem caps and stuff that's hardly a "mod".

sorry off topic .....
I live to take threads off topic...........:D I have ADD, but for adults....so that'd be...........AADD........or AD.....or.........

·
......My Title......
1,061 Posts
I used to belong to a sportbike forum where these guys felt the need to put every mod they ever made, in their sig lines. That's OK, but it gets a little lame when you start listing stickers, light up valve stem caps and stuff that's hardly a "mod".
I've got all my mods in my sig line :eek: Actually I think I need to update it, I've now got one of them cool seats, four chrome thingy's, extended pegs I got from there, and some stuff :cool:

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Ummm no, not true.. the GTO actually uses the same 6sp manual as the Viper, just different gear ratios.

I don't have the transmission breakdown data on the 2004 for some reason,
just the total, 15,728

Quantity 2005 Pontiac GTO

Transmission
61.51% 6809 Manual MN6
38.49% 4260 Automatic MX0

Quantity 2006 Pontiac GTO

Transmission
62.83% 8764 Manual MN6
37.17% 5184 Automatic MX0

Damn good thing, I was going to be really pissed if I had no place to put this thing...
Thems is nice parts!

Great signiture Dave and Vic too.

How come I cant multiple quote anymore?

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,505 Posts
Textralia EXO-SKEL™ Multi-Plate Series Clutch w/ Steel Billet Flywheel, Dual Disc

It's probably not any lighter than stock, it's not aluminum, those lightening cuts are to make up for extra weight of the second clutch disc and the second "floating" steel flywheel. You wouldn't really want a light high revving flywheel for a 2 ton car, and besides, with the twin turbos and the large displacement engine there will be so much torque at such low rpms, the issue is just not spinning the clutch.

It has 30% more clamping pressure and twice the friction surface.

All the decent hot rod parts for the Holden/GTO are from Oz.

Interesting fact, the most senior lunatic with the 800hp/800tq car got much better performance after having his transmission rebuilt to the Viper's much lower gear ratio specs, to take advantage of the massive low rpm torque.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts