Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got to work and as i was driving in the bike just felt kinda "washed out" or wiggly...not as tight as it should.
Well upon arrival and some looking the tire seems underinflated and look what i found!!
i would recommend everyone to carrya $5 tire plug kit on there bike somewhere for just such an emergency.

Attachments

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
i got to work and as i was driving in the bike just felt kinda "washed out" or wiggly...not as tight as it should.
Well upon arrival and some looking the tire seems underinflated and look what i found!!
i would recommend everyone to carrya $5 tire plug kit on there bike somewhere for just such an emergency.
Don't patch the side wall it will most likely fail when you need it the most , do yourself a favor don't ride it.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
NEVER try to repair a sidewall. New tire time. Sucks, but then again, so does death.

As you STATED, in an emergency.....yes. Enough to get you to a dealer or indy shop for a new tire.

That sucks..........

·
1,074 Posts
Putt home if you have to but just crawl. Don't take any chances!

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
REAL!!!!! bad things happen when a rear tire deflates rapidly.:eek::eek::nod Been there and had that happen.:1drink

·
Registered
317 Posts
Been there, done that....three times. Any time your bike feels "wiggly" it's a sure sign that you have a tire going flat. I was on my way to work last year and was running at 70 miles an hour when my bike started bobbing up and down slightly in the rear end. Just about the time I thought, "WTF?" to myself the rear end gave a jerk to the left and I knew what was up. Pulled over and looked, and there was the nail. Luckily I was only 1 1/2 miles away from work - which was the dealership at the time - so one quick call to the service dept and I wasn't even late for work!

When the back tire goes flat, the bike gets "wiggly;" when the front tire goes flat, the bike won't lean into turns or steer, and if it happens at highway speed - well, you'll know it, trust me. Haven't had that happen to me, but I hear the pucker factor is pretty high. :eek:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah, I agree with the safety factor deal and it is currently ion the barn and tonite i will begin disassembly of the rear end.
Made it home with no issues and holding air well.
I was planning on replacing the tire anyway this just accelerated its replacement.

Any tips on belt tensioning? This is my first Harley ...fortunately not my first rear MC tire removal.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK....so now i'm really confused...maybe it'll make more sense when i go to take the tire off and actually do the work but yer saying i can get the wheel out and reinstalled without messing with the belt...unlike a mc with a chain/sprocket that ya gotta get into the chain when yer swapping the rear wheel?...this could be a bit easier than i was thinking.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
OK....so now i'm really confused...maybe it'll make more sense when i go to take the tire off and actually do the work but yer saying i can get the wheel out and reinstalled without messing with the belt...unlike a mc with a chain/sprocket that ya gotta get into the chain when yer swapping the rear wheel?...this could be a bit easier than i was thinking.
Just like your R1, you DON'T touch the chain adjusters to drop the wheel. You still have to take your wheel and sprocket out, and remove the chain/belt.......

On your HD:

Remove the belt gaurd. (2 bolts)

Remove rear axel cotter pin, nut then entire axel.

Drop wheel then move forward.

Slip belt off rear sprocket, and outside swingarm.

Reverse to install.

Unadjusting any chain/belt to drop a wheel is just making more work for yourself. I see more people do this and it's completely unnecessary......

I used to do a tire swap on my RC51 in 45 minutes, complete. Rims off, tires off, new tires M/B and back on and torqued.

·
Curmudgeon
7,039 Posts
Glade you made it home safe.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts