Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 12 SG and have swapped the stock speakers to J&M speakers. What is a good plug and play amp that will boost the sound some? not looking to blast the neighbors just want better sound without the high volume distortion...

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I did the fosgate as well. plenty of sound now.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yep, Rockford Fosgate 300x2 kicks ass! great deal too.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
are these plug and play? or do i need to splice the wires? i assume i have to find a power source for it as well? need info if you have it...thx

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
If you are going the PBR route, I would buy a 4 channel, the PBR300X4, so when you add saddlebag lid speakers, you won't have to buy another amp.

This is a popular amp, a good buy for the money. It's not 100% plug and play, but it's not a bad install from what I have read and investigated.

·
EX-VIRGIN
1,760 Posts
If you are going the PBR route, I would buy a 4 channel, the PBR300X4, so when you add saddlebag lid speakers, you won't have to buy another amp.

This is a popular amp, a good buy for the money. It's not 100% plug and play, but it's not a bad install from what I have read and investigated.
there was some history of these amp 300.4 overheating, but recent information states this has been resolved. I offer that information in the event you read about it but miss the update OR consider buying a used on (buyer beware). Personally, I will add a second 300.2 if I go the lid option. For the most part the biketronics speakers and amps solved my problem. No debating to convert from SG to RG instead of buying the new 15. Decisions decisions. :)

·
EX-VIRGIN
1,760 Posts
are these plug and play? or do i need to splice the wires? i assume i have to find a power source for it as well? need info if you have it...thx
No splicing.....cut and re-connect wires. Took me an hour and I have never wrenched on a bike. Run power and ground to battery- i removed gas tank to do it (takes about 3 minutes). The amp came with wiring instructions.

·
Retired Army
181 Posts
If you want one amp and to be done with no matter what speakers you have or plan to add look at the Biketronics BT 4180 4 channel 4x180 RMS. If you even think you might get the audio bug than I would highly recommend it, also warrantied for life. Not knocking the Arc or PBR amps at all, but I have seen a lot of folks spend money on other brands and end up with the biketronics gear. The lifetime warranty is a big selling point, I started with a J&M 250 which is made by Arc for J&M. Eventually added a second J&M 250, now Its just the BT 4180 and one J&M 250.

Just throwing it out there for a great amp to look at, but they do go for about $520 through Phat performance with the coupon code YEAR14.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts

Pull the hot straight off the battery and use wire rated for the load. Fuse the wire as close to the battery as possible.

I don't recommend grounding on the battery lug. Ground straight to the chassis with wire rated at least as heavy as the hot.

You can use the factory wiring going to the front speakers as source assuming the amp allows for speaker level input. Otherwise you'll need a line converter.

You'll need a switched hot for the amp remote wire to switch the amp on and off with the bike to keep from running the battery dead. There are a few behind the fairing. The easiest would be to splice into the lighter/aux hot in the fairing. The remote only draws a few milliamperes. There are no load issues with doing that.

You should be able to find spades to match the factory wiring. You can even use them and a short length of wire to make a y-splitter for the remote hookup. You can install this without clipping or stripping any of the factory wiring if you wanted to.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts