Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanna put higher bars on my 2010 Ultra Limited. With so many options, how does a person decide??? I was thinking 14 inch LA choppers, but maybe 12's are enough . I'm around 6'1" and like 300# , yeah I know I'm fat, don't go there , and my back is junk, is taller better ?

·
weird member
2,175 Posts
Whatever is comfortable is better. Also, look at more than just the rise, there's also pullback and overall width.

There's a broomstick method that takes two people to figure it out. You sit on the bike and hold a broomstick out wherever is comfortable, then the other guy measures from the clamp to get rise and pullback measures and measures how far apart your hands are:

I'm about 5'9" and I like my bars, they have a 13" rise, 7" pullback and 36" width. Guy I bought the bike from was my same height, liked these 12" bars with 32" width and he had them pushed forward (I like mine in-line with the fork), but he liked those on the seat he had which had a much lower saddle height than the seat I put on. There's other guys 6'5 that like a flat bar.

Everyone is different where they like stuff, and a person's height doesn't really matter so much.

Also, every bike is different, a 12" rise is going to feel totally different depending on saddle height (seat) and sitting angle. Back to the example I used before of mine, the 12" on the seat it originally had put my hands about level with my eyes, the 13" with the seat I put on have my hands just below my shoulder level. You should always choose bars after you choose a seat.

Taller is better for some, lower is better for others, all at any given height. The rise and pullback needed to place the hands in a particular relation to one's own body is going to depend on the specific bike and seat combo.

If your back bothers you, a different seat might help that changes how you sit on it, provides back support, etc. What I am saying here is, don't rely or expect a bar swap to help with your back. It certainly could help, maybe, or make things worse. A simple seat swap won't necessarily help or not help either, but swapping both for your comfort has a much higher chance of working or working better than just doing one or the other.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wanna put higher bars on my 2010 Ultra Limited. With so many options, how does a person decide??? I was thinking 14 inch LA choppers, but maybe 12's are enough . I'm around 6'1" and like 300# , yeah I know I'm fat, don't go there , and my back is junk, is taller better ?
Hey i just joined and saw ur post first. Def go at least 14 inch, I’m only 5’8 and put 14 on my 08 fatboy and my arms are perfectly straight level. They are renegade bars and they look awesome and more importantly feel perfect!!! Good luck and happy cruising!!!

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,749 Posts
UpNorth, follow Kyle's advice. I'm 5' 7" and have 16" apes on one of my bikes. They are comfortable to me, but in retrospect I almost wish I had gone with 12" or 14'" and a 4" pull back riser. I like that broomstick method. You can also visit different dealers and sit on some of their used bikes to see what you find comfortable.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Welcome from Chicago...I have a 2015 Ultra with 12” LA Chopper Twin Peaks and LOVE them. Should have done sooner!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts