Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I'm new to the forum and have been riding on and off for a few years. I had a 07 1200 custom 3 years ago sold it for health issues and bought two 07 Yamaha 650's for my son and me a year ago. I'm thinking of buying a Road King or a Heritage Softail. I haven't rode either one yet. I just wanted some feedback on how they each ride and the pro's and con's of each. I know I should test ride each and I will but opinions are good too. Thanks

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
For two bikes that have a remarkably similar vibe as far as a look, they are quite different. Both are excellent bikes. I rode a Heritage as my first HD, and I absolutely love that bike.

The Heritage is built on the Softail frame, so it has a certain vibe. The most noticeable is how it sits. With the way the frame is built and the way the tank rises, you have this feel of sitting down "in" the bike. They have a very low center of gravity, and are quite easy to ride. They track really true and handle good. They're comfortable and have plenty of space for 2-up. Storage, awesome look. The Heritage is a killer bike.

Cons would be the limited capacity. They don't have the same ability to be loaded down like a touring bike. The Road King is built on the touring frame (same as the Ultra) it can handle a lot more weight.

The Softail also has the "B" motor. To give the ST bikes a rigid vibe, they hard mounted the motor, and to keep it from rattling your teeth out, they installed a counter balance in it. It idles super smooth but at highway speed, it has a SLIGHT buzz. It's not awful, but it makes the bike feel like it is straining more at 70 or so than a touring bike.

The Road King is a heavier duty bike, and you have the increased capacity. It rides smoother at highway speeds, and the non-balanced motor, while it has that sexy shake at idle, is actually smoother on the highway. All the touring bikes ride like a dream. Air ride is nice.

It has the same vintage vibe, great storage, again an awesome bike.

The RK sits very upright - at least more upright. And, the frame has a higher center of gravity. As a taller rider, I actually feel a little more cramped on RK. It's just a little tighter feeling. You sit more on top of the bike.

You just have ride them both. They're very different and both great.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For two bikes that have a remarkably similar vibe as far as a look, they are quite different. Both are excellent bikes. I rode a Heritage as my first HD, and I absolutely love thar bike.

The Heritage is built on the Softail frame, so it has a certain vibe. The most noticeable is how it sits. With the way the frame is built and the way the tank rises, you have this feel of sitting down "in" the bike. They have a very low center of gravity, and are quite easy to ride. They track really true and handle good. They're comfortable and have plenty of space for 2-up. Storage, awesome look. The Heritage is a killer bike.

Cons would be the limited capacity. They don't have the same ability to be loaded down like a touring bike. The Road King is built on the touring frame (same as the Ultra) it can handle a lot more weight.

The Softail also has the "B" motor. To give the ST bikes a rigid vibe, they hard mounted the motor, and to keep it from rattling your teeth out, they installed a counter balance in it. It idles super smooth but at highway speed, it has a SLIGHT buzz. It's not awful, but it makes the bike feel like it is straining more at 70 or so than a touring bike.

The Road King is a heavier duty bike you have the increased capacity. It rides smoother at highway speeds, and the non-balanced motor, while it has that sexy shake at idle, is actually smoother on the highway. All the touring bikes ride like a dream. Air ride is nice.

It has the same vintage vibe, great storage, again an awesome bike.

The RK sits very upright - at least more upright. And, the frame has a higher center of gravity. As a taller rider, I actually feel a little more cramped on RK. It's just a little tighter feeling. You sit more on top of the bike.

You just have ride them both. They're very different and both great.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Thanks for all of the great info. I will take a look at both.

·
Senile Member
1,713 Posts
He forgot to mention that the touring bikes have better lean angles and handle FAR better on twisty roads. Also the saddle bags on the Heritage turn to crap unless you get the Bag Buddies to stiffen them up and keep their shape and you have to treat the bags once a year, cause they are real leather.

·
Harley Rider
10,488 Posts
I loved my Heritage but traded up for a Limited. The Road King will be a more comfortable ride for you over the Heritage.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I loved my Heritage but traded up for a Limited. The Road King will be a more comfortable ride for you over the Heritage.
I completely understand why most say this - including myself. It is probably true if you only consider the actual "ride" itself.

But, it is undeniable that the Heritage has a different feel for the rider. The way you sit the bike is just different. I am not sure exactly what all the subtleties are, but the posture that you assume when on the bike can not be replicated on the touring frame. Of course, the same can be said the other way. They are VERY different feels to me.

So, if you are drawn to the feel of the Heritage, you may actually be more comfortable on it. The road feedback and such will be more tiring on a long day, but comfort is like taste. There's no accounting for it. To this day, I feel like the Heritage sits like a "bigger" bike than any of the touring bikes. Of course it isn't, it just feels roomier to me for some reason.

If H-D could offer a bike that had the initial ergonomics of the Heritage and the rest of the goodies offered by the touring frame, I'd be in line for one tomorrow.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I ride a 2007 Heritage i've got nearly 69,000 miles on it. Its a good all-around bike short rides, long rides, whatever your hindside can take. I plan to purchase a 2014 Ultra Classic by the end of the year but I'm keeping the heritage. Touring bikes ARE much smoother but the Heritage has a GREAT feel to it. My cousin has a RK and has big issues when riding 2-up cos of her feet getting in his way when he comes to a stop. Try the two out, an see how they feel, you may need to lower either one depending on your build and leg length but not likely on the Heritage.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have sat each at my local dealer and for some reason the Road King felt bulkier and much heavier. I don't believe they are that far apart in weight. With a 30" inseam the Heritage was an easier mount. I guess my next step is a test ride on each.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I have sat each at my local dealer and for some reason the Road King felt bulkier and much heavier. I don't believe they are that far apart in weight. With a 30" inseam the Heritage was an easier mount. I guess my next step is a test ride on each.
The RK has the six gallon fuel tank. It also has the bigger headlight in the front end. That might account for the "bulky" feel.

The RK is heavier by maybe 60-70 lbs, but it will feel even more so because it has a little higher center of gravity. Plus, the way it sits, you wouldn't quite have the same control of it with your legs - especially with a 30" inseam. You might flat foot, but if so, barely.

The Heritage sits an inch lower, and the frame is a little narrower which means the legs have a shorter path to the ground.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The RK has the six gallon fuel tank. It also has the bigger headlight in the front end. That might account for the "bulky" feel.

The RK is heavier by maybe 60-70 lbs, but it will feel even more so because it has a little higher center of gravity. Plus, the way it sits, you wouldn't quite have the same control of it with your legs - especially with a 30" inseam. You might flat foot, but if so, barely.

The Heritage sits an inch lower, and the frame is a little narrower which means the legs have a shorter path to the ground.
That makes perfect sense on why it felt the way it did on both bikes. This is why I really enjoy these types of forums. I don't know a whole lot about Harleys, but appreciate the info.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts