Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to change clutches in the 09 UC .
Would the screaming eagle be a good choice or stay with OEM grade

·
Registered
762 Posts
depends what kind of clutch feel you want. personally i like a fast responsive clutch, i run the carbon fiber extra plate from barnett

if just needing a replacement, the s.e. will be fine

Reactions: sardonicus87

·
Super Moderator
12,673 Posts
My favorite to date is Rivera Primo. Next one of my bikes to need a clutch will get a Primo. I had one in 97 FLHTCU. Did nothing to it in over 50k miles when I sold it.

·
weird member
2,230 Posts
I like a heavy clutch feel with real positive, quick bite, so I run the stock clutch upgraded with Barnett kevlar extra plate kit and a 20% stronger heavy duty spring (though, these upgrades are actually necessary for me because of the motor work). Though, if I had the money to spend, I would have gone with the Rivera Primo clutch.

Clutch is no fun in stop-and-go traffic though. I've run the plates on full synth RedLine, Bel-Rey and currently Spectro heavy duty primary oil (conventional, non-synthetic). The Spectro makes it drag more than the others, thinking of switching back to synthetic or ATF for the primary. Cannot run the Harley Formula + with this clutch setup (will drag hard).

Why do you want a different clutch? Are you having clutch issues? Just want a different feel? Sometimes just switching what you run in the primary for oil is all that's needed for a different feel.

·
Registered
762 Posts
i run amsoil atf in the primary, also switched to klotz estorlin in the motor and redline in the trans,

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I feel sometimes it's slipping and sinse I don't know how many miles on them I'll put a new set on. Oh ! and I don't want hand cramping clutch pull.
And how is the first shift into 1 gear after cold start up ? And does ATF hotter in the primary than the oil.?

·
Registered
762 Posts
if the motor doesnt have alot of work done..just run stock clutch spring, and opt for the carbon fiber extra plate kit, this kit uses all large clutch fibers stock uses 2 smaller fibers and a jutter spring which the barnett kit will elminate giving more holding surface vs stock and other kits, using atf with this kitz there isnt a hard clunk into gear when cold, not sure if primary will run hotter or cooler but the carbon fiber clutch can handle alot more heat than the kevlar or cork style fibers

·
Registered
38,509 Posts
if the motor doesnt have alot of work done..just run stock clutch spring, and opt for the carbon fiber extra plate kit, this kit uses all large clutch fibers stock uses 2 smaller fibers and a jutter spring which the barnett kit will elminate giving more holding surface vs stock and other kits, using atf with this kitz there isnt a hard clunk into gear when cold, not sure if primary will run hotter or cooler but the carbon fiber clutch can handle alot more heat than the kevlar or cork style fibers
True, but if you're not racing or slipping the clutch a lot, there shouldnt be enough heat to worry about.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did get the SE clutch and spring kit today want to know to use ATF or back to the oil? it is a stock 96 motor

·
Registered
7 Posts
The Screaming Eagle clutch is a good one. It has one more plate than the stock clutch. The difference is certainly noticeable.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have had great results using RED - Ford TYPE-F Automatic Transmission Fluid in my PRIMARIES for DECADES

The TYPE-F (ATF) is much cheaper & performs quite well in my 1985 FXR & my 1995 FXD Convertible

I have 40,000 miles on my 1995 FXD (DYNA)
&
when I pulled the Primary apart while I was fixing a 5-speed transmission gear that cracked
... the Clutch Plates & STEELS still measured up to specification

So - I'm an advocate of ATF fluid & Stock Friction disks
(but I'm a cheap ass & do not pull wheelies or do BURNOUTS)

I did get the SE clutch and spring kit today want to know to use ATF or back to the oil? it is a stock 96 motor

1 - 13 of 13 Posts