Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 869 Posts

· Registered
5,537 Posts
Discovered difficult neutral cure with a Hydraulic clutch.

I had noticed some blistering paint around the clutch reservoir, checking around yt, i happened across a video that explained this. So on my next visit to the dealer, i picked up a new cover with gasket. When I removed the cover i found the dot4 brake fluid was black as coal. So time for a flush. What a difference! The clutch now starts the friction zone at about 1/2 way out (now). With the old fluid it was just off the grip. So way more control now. Upon returning from the test ride came the real bonus: Hitting neutral with the engine running is now effortless! Before it was hit n miss at best. So there is one more thing to add to the list of difficult neutrals.

The rest of the day was a general clean up (waterless) of the bike and finally polished out that front rim. The back one is next time.

· Registered
5,537 Posts
Made a parts run, I took the long way around Lake Elsinore, along the burn/flood area from the Holy fire. That was a bit of a mistake! When i rounded the turn I was met by a forde ?spelling? About 100 yard long "muddy puddle" covering the road 'bout a foot deep. Kept it smooth and steady through that little lake and made it shiny side up. Except now it wasn't so shiny. I even had mud on top on the fuel tank! Along with everywhere else. But hey it was fun!
Made the dealership and a few other stops. Finally placed my order for the new Pro Beam incerts, YEA!
Then back to the barn for a quick rinse and a three hole oil change, New battery.
Just beat the rain storm to the barn! GREAT DAY!

· Registered
5,537 Posts
Broke my own 1st Rule,

"This bike is NOT for commuting". Well, the weather made me! That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!
The Ultra made her debut at work this morning. A very pleasant ride in. The home bound trip was ridiculous. Stop and go, putt-putt, seemed like forever riding the clutch and rear brake in parade mode.

Deture time! Side streets and the long detour route. I passed through a busy intersection, then made a u-turn, to get into a parking lot. I made the mistake of looking down at the mid point of the U turn. Damn near flopped it! I got very lucky and pulled it back up, just in the nick of time. I was cussing myself out repeatedly. It just goes to show that concentration of head and eyes MUST me maintained at ALL times!
Now shes back in her barn, safe n sound. I'm still cussing myself!

· Registered
5,537 Posts
Got it all bugged up!
Put 240 miles on the clock today. Working on the twisties through the So.Cal desert. Stopped in the Julian Pie factory, then on trough to San Diego then back up north to home.
Had a strange encounter with the idiot lights nearing the end of the ride. FUEL REMAINING indicator went from 10, to LOW FUEL, at the same moment the CHECK ENGINE light, and the GEAR INDICATOR changed from 6 to 1,(while at freeway speeds in 6th gear) WTF! Pulled into the next gas station and filled up. She took 5.44 gallons! When I restarted, all the lights were again normal?
I guess Harley's just HATE running that low! Or I'm just too inexperienced with it.

Attachments

· Registered
5,537 Posts
That's about the only thing I miss about California. Many beautiful areas to ride. And yes, they get a little nervous when low on gas. First mine shows on the display 'low on fuel, do you want me to find the nearest station'. Then it will show something like 'There's an Exxon. I know you don't like them but its right there', followed by 'SHELL, RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET. GET GAS NOW!'

I know its trying to help, but jeez what a pushy bastard.
:rollin:rollin:rollin

IMO, The only thing Comifornia has left in it is the fantastic twisting highways of the back country.
With the forever changing views of the landscape. Tall mountains and forest to low lying desert all within an hour of the blue coast. It is a very beautiful state to see and ride. Now IF we can just get the cagers off the damn phone! As to the politics and policies of this state, well: "Land of the fruits & nuts!"

· Registered
5,537 Posts
My wife and i drove the cage up north for the weekend for my Granddaughters 5th B-day. So no riding. But i learned a new trick from my son, to smooth the shifting on my Ultra. I tried it out today, just around the block. It works sweet!

Remove the shift rod, roll open the little rubber boots and spray it out with brake cleaner. (Wear safety glasses)! That stuff burns the eyes really well. (Ask my how i know this). The manual says to use HD general purpose lube (aka grease). Grease holds onto dirt n grime. Used Rem-oil. Its teflon based. just a quick squirt or two. roll the ball a bit, wipe off the excess and reinstall. Shifts nice and smooth, No clunk even in first. I also checked the entire linkage for torque and freeplay, all good. My son told me he did this to his bike a year and a half ago and it's still shifting smoothly. Easy 5 min start to finish!

· Registered
5,537 Posts
Installed a set of extended signal switches in hopes it will help prevent me from startling myself and other drivers as i often hit the horn button vs the left signal.

I was going to ride north to Riverside H.D's weekend event. Until my wife said how difficult the traffic is getting back home. All because of the stupid poppy bloom that SoCal news stations have decimated our local traffic with. Those flowers are all over the inland deserts of SoCal. But all the news channels keep talking about the "Lake Elsinore Super Bloom" Good grief! It has taken over 45 min. to travel 2 miles every Fri.,Sat. and Sun. for the past 3 weeks. Frickin' LA Hippies! (Rant over).

I had to ride somewhere, So i went South to Biggs H.D. in San Marcos, CA. They had something going on that involved a live band and a couple of venders. I got to chat with a few Marine (active duty) riders, while there. The big bash really wasn't so impressive. I also stopped by the adjacent Indian Dealer. Wow, what primo-Ass Hats! Pull up on a full dressed Ultra, and walk the showroom, not one person even so much as said hello! I Guess today just isn't my people day.

I took as much of old 395 back home as i could find, just to enjoy the old road and limit my exposure on the freeway. And sill made it back in town before Annie's closed. (Annie's is a must stop! Breakfast and Lunch only restaurant, here in Lake Elsinore that is the BEST!) I got back in the barn with 117 miles added to the clock. The switches? well, they kinda helped, I only hit the horn once. But seriously HD $26 for less than an ounce of plastic? That should be standard equipment.

· Registered
5,537 Posts
Went for nice ride yesterday. Pulled in garage. Got out my riding gear jacket , helmet, boots usual stuff. Put my flip flops on. Mail man went whizzing down street. Been waiting for a piece of= mail. Jumped on Mistress wearing flip flops. Got the mail I was waiting for. Flip flop did a flop onto rear exhaust pipe, yea melting rubber. Spent couple of hours removing said flop remains off pipe. Today.
Good thing it was the flip-flop that melted!

IDK if you are into re-loading ammo. But i tried an idea on a whim: I have 2 full bottles of Silver Cannon cartridge cleaner. The stuff that is added to a dry media tumbler to reduce tumbling time. Any way i tried a dab if this stuff on a rag. 2 minutes and it polished out every black mark on my exhaust pipe like magic! the black rubber just rolled off and it polished the crome. not a hint of the old mark nor residue. Way cheaper than that boot mark remover sold at MoCo.:wink

btw: shower shoes+bikes= BAD JuJu! just say'n....Knowin' you know that!

Reactions: Villain

· Registered
5,537 Posts
My son rode his VTX 1800, from his home in Fresno to Elsinore earlier un the week. Thursday noonish we lit out on our first open road ride together. We rode from Elsinore to Lake Isabella 180 miles approx. Spent the night there. Then this morning we rode up to the top of the mountain, to where the road is still closed. Return to Isabella, (Woffard Heights). Then cut west over the mountain range into the central valley of California. North to Fresno. We're spending the night here. 244 miles so far. Tomorrow morning we will head out on a ride with his club. Then go ? From there.

Attachments

· Registered
5,537 Posts
Continuing from my last post: My son and I made a short 90 mile ride with his group, in Fresno. Then we took a different route back up to Lake Isabella, hwy 14. Spent the night there. Then rode a super twisty ride through Bodfish over to the 58 and up to Tehachapi, Lancaster, then the I-15 back to Elsinore. All in all, Thursday through Sunday added 930 miles to the clock!

Attachments

· Registered
5,537 Posts
Nearly embarrassed, I asked my neighbor to move the bike for me.
With this damn cast holding my elbow bent I was afraid i might drop the bike, just moving it to the other side of the garage. I had left a pile if tools between the bike and the tool box. I hadn't dawned on me tat i might break my arm before getting back to the task. All that just to put away the tools from my last tinkering...Geez!

Afterwards I had a Dr. appointment to get the cast changed. Now its a mid arm to the palm. So Yea! I can bend at the elbow and i have fingers again. But not riding for another three weeks. Pissed i missed the Rolling Thunder Ride because of playing Humpty Dumpty!

· Registered
5,537 Posts
Just had to hear it fire off. The weather here is just plain perfect for a long ride. Yet I'm still grounded, stuck in this damned cast. I just know it's going to be too hot to breathe the day I get my arm free of the fiberglass bandaid. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

· Registered
5,537 Posts
I got that cast removed from my arm last evening. It got replaced with a wrist brace. Doc said I can remove the brace when at home.
I couldn't take my bike glaring at me any longer. Took it for a few laps around the neighborhood, while wearing the brace. Left turns were tricky. So pit stop, removed the brace and ran around some more.
All went very well. Turning is smooth again. I rode only 15 minutes or so. But the vibrations and movement really did relieve much of the stiffness in my wrist.

One note. I had lowered the oil level in the primary side and adjusted the bars as high as possible. Before I broke my wrist. What a Difference! Shifting smooth as silk and shifting into Neutral is spot on.
I need a much longer ride to note any change in the bars.
I really need some wind therapy!
2 more long weeks!

· Registered
5,537 Posts
Been a long time since I fired up the Harley. Had to put on hold the tensioners etc. just do not have the time and clear mind to finish the job. In the meantime my 2012 Suzuki DR650 dual sport runs great and it is my summer preferred bike. Riding it has made me realize that what type of ride a person is on may not be their only one. The big difference is how nimble and light weight and of course knowing it shines off road.
I had a DR, Yes it was "light" compared to the Harley, definitely a Heavy weight compared to every other Dirt bike i have ridden!
I did a suspension job (Fork seals and oil change) on it. Took it to the track to dial it in. That thing could handle a long, long set of monster whoops! Then I f***D- UP! NEVER, EVER change your lye, NOR speed while in the Whoops! This dummy tried BOTH at the same time..
With NO hint of that "slow motion" feeling leading into a AW-SH*T moment. I was INSTANTLY tossed over the bars in a flying summer-salt. Landed Sprawled Eagle on my back! First thought "Hey, I got away from the bike" WRONG, It was still airborne, looking for a cushy landing! It found one, my rib cage! That chest protector I was wearing was no match for that "light" bike! That was a very well learned lesson in Respect, for the bike and for the track. Have fun n' be wise!

· Registered
5,537 Posts
Which is just perfect because the Honda place said the A/c compressor on the CRV is froze up so swapping the belt is pointless. The compressor was just changed in the last few years by someone else and they're going to look if it's under warranty (which it should be), but if they won't change it, we're not paying $3,600 to fix that crap and just going to scrap it..
Get a 2nd opinion from a independent radiator shop! I had the same issue with two different CRV's. Honda had a recall on them but, both of mine were over the mileage (OF COURSE). I took them to a independent shop. The man said that the Honda A/C pump is a vein type. The wrong design for the car. He installed piston pumps and warranted parts and labor. His price was $1200 less than Honda! Its worth a try!

My two cents on the hopping / vibration Fork seals / oil level balanced between L/R forks? and check the Bearings on the triple tree.

Best of luck to ya on both fronts!

· Registered
5,537 Posts
Just got a brand new tire on it because of these issues, and just changed the fork oil 1,200 miles ago, even measured out the 0.2 oz of the 10.2 oz, and it was fine for 1,100 miles after the 30K service interval (bike has 30K, the wheels came from my old one of the exact same year so they have 50K).

This all just started last week or so.

I mean, it's got to be the brake pads and/or rotor, right? I've replaced literally everything else (tire, tube, etc).

I mean I checked, and there doesn't appear to be a damn thing wrong with the pads or the rotor and I even re-bled the brakes. But, that's the only thing left.
i'm goin' to ask the dumb question, as i see it you have searched high and low and under every grain of sand. You said that you have not talked to the installer personally yet. Okay, the dumb question: Are you REALLY sure he re-balanced the wheel ? Just asking because I had bought four new tires for my pick-up. Drove 60 miles to work the next day. The thing handled like crap. I stopped at another tire shop to have them look at it. They re-balanced all four tires and it rode like a cloud. Just maybe? You looked at everything else!

· Registered
5,537 Posts
I just could not take it any longer! The bike GLARING at me for my stupidity of breaking my wrist, preventing me from riding.
The cast is off, now I'm in a brace for one more week of two. The brace had to ride my workbench, I just had to get some wind therapy!
Took a short putt around the lake, just to say i rode today. That did wonders for my outlook on life!

· Registered
5,537 Posts
Oh yes, I can see the gunk where the two weights were before, and I can see the 4 weights he used when I got the new tire installed.

I have noticed it mostly happens between 30 and 40 mph. Or at least, is more noticeable? It's hard to describe. When it happens when braking, it's like a jibbery kind of thing, no side to side movement, just up and down, like a hotel massage bed shaking. Other than that, when it feels "lumpy" when moving, it's almost like, feels like riding on a not smooth road, like a gravelly parking lot (but not loose gravel) that desperately needs a new coat of blacktop.
This sounds like a balance problem to me. Just sayn'

In my previous reply about the truck tires: I actually watched the installers balance all four tires. Yet when I took the truck to another shop, re-balancing the tires fixed it. Maybe Static vs Dynamic balance? or a installer in a hurry? JMO

· Registered
5,537 Posts
Took a very warm 125 mile ride. Up over Ortega highway (CA-74). It was 98 degrees here in Elsinore, 82 at the summit. Then South on I-5 along the Pacific coast, a very pleasant if not cool 78 degrees. I was considering changing to a long sleeve for a minute ?. Then rode CA-78 back East to the I-15 . Where the temp jumped to 97 on the ride back towards home. Now it's time for a Barley Pop!
Nothing beats a cold brew after a hot ride!

1 - 20 of 869 Posts