Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 1943 Posts

·
old scoot coot
7,002 Posts
it started out a crummy day today, overcast and threatening rain so i put her on the lift. i replaced brakes ft and rr. i promised i'd report on the organic pads my indy has always put on. these have 28,000 mi on them. i went ahead and changed them even though they were still in pretty good shape. i have a rear tire i'm about to have my indy replace so i put new semi metalics on rear so he wouldn't replace the worn ones with the organics again. i went ahead and put the new semi metalics on front also so they would also begin new at 68'000 mi. both pads on the rear caliper still had 110 thousanths of pad left after 28'000 miles. the new semi metalics were 140 thousanths thick. on the front with 28,000 miles on the old organic pads 2 had 110 thousanths left and 2 had 80 thousanths left, one thick and one thinner one in each caliper. i would say since the manual says you can run them down to 14 thousanths thick(none of us ever would), that these would have easily ran to say 35,000 mi and then some. so on my limited i would get in the neighborhood of 35,000 miles out of the cheaper and clean running(no brake dust) organic pads. they have performed very well wet and dry, hot or cold. that said i would be happy to use these all the time. i will report on the semi metallic pads when i change them. they should go well beyond 100,000 miles, so it will be a while. also i said i would report on the american elite tires. the rear one has 26,000mi on it now and i will replace it soon. i will give final mileage for it then. the front one has 31,000 miles on it to date and is not even close to needing replaced. i will report final mileage when it i replace it also. i hope this is helpful to you fellows. the verdict is still out on the brakes, the organic pads have performed to my satisfaction in all ways, time will tell on the semi metallic ones. for me it will be american elite tires for the forseeable future. they have performed really great in wet or dry conditions are sticky in the twisties and sweepers with by far the best mileage if have ever gotten from any tire. also changed fluids in all three holes, M1 15-50, dextron, 85-140 gear oil. cleaned air filter. that should do till sometime after TEXAS TWISTER FIVE!!!

·
old scoot coot
7,002 Posts
hey kyle, glad you are getting some ridding in. i hate to be dogmatic but would ya send another pic or two of your scoot. that is one of the very best looking harleys i have ever seen. that color is my favorite, bar none. i love my limited but butt ugly it is. your color would help, but ya know pig lipstick. no denying it the softies and rk's are the best looking and the best examples of them are ef4n's old delux and yours. keep her shinny hermano, that's a mighty fine harley.:grin

·
old scoot coot
7,002 Posts
day trip yesterday and monday. yesterday my check engine light came on. i had just cleaned the air filter at a service a week or so ago and i was almost sure it was not fuel. confirmed that on the road filling at a good station i use over east at joplin. got home and ran codes. came up with a dtc of a po154 on the ecm. that is rear cyl oxygen sensor in op. spark plug looked like it had been running really lean. i wiggled the harness going into the o2 sensor and started it up and the check engine light went out. i had to take it down to my indy this morning to put on a new rear tire. the engine light stayed off the whole trip, 145mi. good to go for now. i'll order a new one from ronnies tonight.

·
old scoot coot
7,002 Posts
At one of the local grocery stores there is a down's syndrome kid working there. Seems to work well, friendly, happy. Good kid. Frequently he fetches carts and almost every time I'm there on the bike he will come over and say 'nice bike'. Always give him a thanks and then he always asks 'is that a Harley?' I say sure is and he smiles then goes about his work. Even tho its the same brief conversation every time I kind of enjoy it.
i'd betcha he does also! another gentleman with impecable taste.:grin

·
old scoot coot
7,002 Posts
day trip today. good lunch. will look over bike and pack for texas twister tomorrow. i'm looking forward to meeting up with those guys again. we stay a mite short of thuggary and have a really great time. i love texas. every place is a long ways away down there. 100miles is across the street. that is probably why everyone is so friendly, it may have been a while since they have seen anyone to talk to.:banana

·
old scoot coot
7,002 Posts
yep, jimmers and joe. i'm sure i could feel a bad bearing. i jacked it up and spun the wheels, they are smooth as silk. i've seen lot of the bearing threads i think the bad ones have a metal shield. my 14 has plastic shields like the have been for many years. it may have been built early enough in the year that the suspect bearings had not come along yet. before globalization timken and ball bearings were all made in the us, germany, and japan. they were of such strict quality control and used the finest steel aloys. it was virtually impossible to buy a defective bearing. now even if new departure, timken, mrc, koyo, aetna are outsorced and might be built out of on old buick. it's pretty sad.

·
old scoot coot
7,002 Posts
I rode up to the Dr. office, the bank (I love those machines they have there that spit $20.00 bills out) and the fabric store for some velcro. This afternoon I velcro'd the lid liner on my tourpac and reworked the friction point on the leg guard vents.
i'm with you on that, 100percent. will they stay closed at speed after doing that?

·
old scoot coot
7,002 Posts
Yes they stayed open all day today. Mine always closed when I rode.

I took the nut off of the bolt that goes up through the adjusting knob. The soft washer under the nut and washer on mine was just mush. I cleaned it up and used a wave washer between the flat washer and the nut. Snug the nut as required.
thanks man. that has beeh on my to do list. mines' too tight the lever that opens and closes the door is really hard to move. just need to loosen it up.

·
old scoot coot
7,002 Posts
wind tharapy

nothing yet. i've been trying to finish house painting since returning from the twister. rain has been a problem for a couple of weeks. blew diaphram saturday in the hydraulic pump on my airless paint sprayer. went back to dark ages and have been using brush and roller till dark. almost finished will complete tomorrow by lunch time tomorrow! and of course the new diaphram and other repair parts will arrive on wednesday.:laugh october wx seems to have finally arrived, it's really pretty here. beautiful sunset and moonrise yesterday evening. anyway today jack and i are riding a day trip.:eek:uttahere:

·
old scoot coot
7,002 Posts
rode to tulsa for lunch and out west in to the countryside west of skiatook on way home. beautiful day. put 225 on clock. first ride in two weeks. my whistle is wet again. i had to order more paint to finish my house paint job, it wont be here till wednesday so tomorrow gary and i are doing it again.:eek:uttahere:

1 - 20 of 1943 Posts