Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 464 Posts

· Super Moderator
10,761 Posts
Was taking a ride to Myrtle Beach on Sunday, 29 PSI on rear tire, 33 in front. Laid on driveway to air rear tire and saw some deep cracks on it. Loaded it on trailer and to the shop for new tires is going today.
Love the sensation of fresh rubber on a bike, gives her a new personality,:devil

· Super Moderator
10,761 Posts
Well, I think my front brake rotor is maybe going bad. Not sure, but anyone got any recommendations in the mean time?

I'm going to check it tomorrow, see what the runout is looking like, it's the stock rotor. Going to also clean the caliper. Rotor looks clean and fine, just the front end twice now has bounced when hitting the front brake, both times lower speed and downhill. First time I thought it might have just been the road, but apparently not.

While you're in there, look at the pin the the caliper sides on, might be crudded up from all the foul weather riding lately, my old 98 Springer had similar type of caliper & mount and occasional issues like you experienced, clean & light amount of grease.

Attachments

· Super Moderator
10,761 Posts
Well, apparently cleaning the brake caliper and stuff didn't fix the issue. ........

So I guess I need to pull the wheel after all. My guess now is that one of the 1,000,000 potholes I couldn't avoid on I-65 has knocked the rim out of round or something. I still don't have a truing stand though. I'm going to pay too much to have the dealer do it, because I really don't feel like scheduling a time and taking the wheel off and driving the 2 hour round trip and waiting in the indy guy I know to do it.

I just need to get a stand and a spare junk axle. Really should stop putting that off, I actually got the space now.

EDIT:
Or actually, maybe it's just the tire... found this, when I got home.
Yup them narrow spoked wheels can only take so much abuse, had my truing checked with every tire change by our local expert wheel lacing ace, the guy is world wide renowned for his work. eventually I hit a nasty New England pothole one summer, so bad that the wheel needed to be trashed though the tube held up it was no longer safe to ride at even slow speeds nevermind highway, at that point that I put on Mag's which allowed me to go tubeless, but doing this ruined the ~classic looked~ of laced wheels on a springer, practical but not pretty in the long run.

That crack in the tire could be telling you something about one of those potholes.

Hope you get it fixed quick and cheap so you're not down too long.

· Super Moderator
10,761 Posts
hey kyle, this one is a head scratcher. ............ do you think the isolater segments in the rear wheel could have some damage? like maybe some of them seperated where they fit over the rib or just broke apart. if you have looked at em forgive me i just didn't want to read all the way throught the posts. just a thought that crossed my mind, especially when you talked about the up and downhill and acceleration and decel setting off the vibration. i'm with you man, something like this will drive you nuts.
I think he has spoke hub, on which the rear sprocket is directly fastened with no rubber damper ... :frown

Attachments

· Super Moderator
10,761 Posts

Attachments

· Super Moderator
10,761 Posts
My son and I rode for a couple hours today after lunch. We swapped bikes about halfway thru the ride..
:angel
THIS, is something I envy about anyone who has kids that ride, you can share in the experiences as fellow riders!!

· Super Moderator
10,761 Posts
Around us dealers (about all manufacturers) will do it but jack up the install fee to be so high they might as well tell you they won't do it.
Cycle Gear does mount and balance of tires purchased through them & third party, but you have to pull the wheel at our location.

· Super Moderator
10,761 Posts
I have a coupon for Cycle Gear, from RevZilla when I bought the tires.

Im more apt to trust them with my cast rear wheel than my powdercoated front.

Have you used them before?
I haven't but a local buddy has, he was very satisfied.

Reactions: Kainam

· Super Moderator
10,761 Posts
I haven't ridden much this summer

So yesterday I call boss tell him I'm taking a vacation day, he asks me what's up and I said I wanted to do some stuff around the house, and had bunch of vacation hours I gotta burn before my hire date (supposed to use'em or lose'em by then, but never lose them) and that I didn't really feel too good.

I go in today and kinda look like this, only a four hour ride????
You told him you had a LOT of yard work needing to be done right :grin:grin:grin:grin

· Super Moderator
10,761 Posts
I rode to work and set off a flock of birds 100 or more, gathering to fly south. I interpret as a sign of an early winter. I’m not far from the southern end of Lake Michigan
:frown A long cold & snowy winter has been predicted, confirmed locally by the acorns dropping early, the squirrels are having an early feast preparing for the long winter, we have also noted flocks geese heading south already as well.

Maries car tire pressure alarm went off this AM, all tires uniformly low, with the recent colder weather, I pumped them up with Fall air, I should check the bikes out too.

1 - 20 of 464 Posts