Harley Davidson Forums banner

3481 - 3500 of 3624 Posts

·
old scoot coot
2,777 Posts
Just be glad they only have 40 spokes per wheel instead of 80. I run HH sintered brakes, want to detail my wheels while you're at it? :ROFLMAO:
kyle ii run semi metalic and they just don't make dust. i have over 21,000. miles on em front and rear and they still look like new. very good braking wet and dry and no noise. you might try em next time just cause they don't make dust. 🤠 🤠

·
Registered
492 Posts
scott, just google doc bailys black. i bunch of stuff comes up. i think the bike places like dennis kirk, and j p cycles has it. most have amazon prime. i think i got it there last time, no freight.
Yep, i did just that and Chaparral, also popped up. They are semi-local to me. A easy ride to Riverside, CA. 'Bout 30 to 45 min ride each way. Besides its a huge motorcycle store for all types of rides. They got the Doc Bailys for $10. so yea!

·
weird member
1,841 Posts
kyle ii run semi metalic and they just don't make dust. i have over 21,000. miles on em front and rear and they still look like new. very good braking wet and dry and no noise. you might try em next time just cause they don't make dust. 🤠 🤠
I did try some last time I mounted the wheels and I just didn't like the feel. I'm sure I could have gotten used to them but, just decided to go back with what I already know.

·
old scoot coot
2,777 Posts
I did try some last time I mounted the wheels and I just didn't like the feel. I'm sure I could have gotten used to them but, just decided to go back with what I already know.
cool, on touring bikes probably not as much feel, point taken, i was just looking for longer life than organic and no brake dust. see ya in eureka springs if not before hermano!

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Checked tire pressures, all set for tomorrows lunch ride.

·
old scoot coot
2,777 Posts
tony and i rode down to vanita today to clantons for lunch. went south on 169 then 23 to adair ok then circled back up to clantons. a really nice ride. 46 when we left and 56 when we got back. i didn't even think to take shots of bikes until i saw ricks. did snap pick of fried chicked. usually have chicked fried steak there but opted for fried chicked today. yum.
001.jpg
002.jpg

·
weird member
1,841 Posts
Well, I was going to go for a ride, but the bike wouldn't turn over. Battery is barely a year old but it did sit for 2 months straight in the hottest part of the year without being maintained, so I took it to have it tested. Battery tested fine. I did notice yesterday that she was having some trouble starting.

So now I am charging the battery, but I need to figure out why it died. Either there's something drawing on it when the bike is off (which, there shouldn't be), or the charging system isn't working right. I did check the connections before I removed the battery for testing and they were tight so, that's not it. It's also been fine for quite a while, so it's probably the more expensive and annoying problem to deal with (charging system). Oh joy.

But, guess this is a good time to actually hook up the SAE lead for the battery tender. Charging now.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
I led the HOG chapter on a 65 mile (one way) lunch ride today.

·
Proud Infidel
2,578 Posts
Well, I was going to go for a ride, but the bike wouldn't turn over. Battery is barely a year old but it did sit for 2 months straight in the hottest part of the year without being maintained, so I took it to have it tested. Battery tested fine. I did notice yesterday that she was having some trouble starting.

So now I am charging the battery, but I need to figure out why it died. Either there's something drawing on it when the bike is off (which, there shouldn't be), or the charging system isn't working right. I did check the connections before I removed the battery for testing and they were tight so, that's not it. It's also been fine for quite a while, so it's probably the more expensive and annoying problem to deal with (charging system). Oh joy.

But, guess this is a good time to actually hook up the SAE lead for the battery tender. Charging now.

View attachment 780933
Once it fires up, you can check the charging system with a volt meter.

·
Registered
6,467 Posts
Our batteries out here in the southwest don’t last but 2 yrs if you don’t keep them on a battery tender. With the heat we get out here it’s very hard on batteries. If I’m not Riding it’s on the tender

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,467 Posts

View attachment 780933
Your tool Box Looks familiar

·
old scoot coot
2,777 Posts
i rode down to skiatook again solo today for lunch at macs'. 179 miles. i needed to do a little more scouting for a new route via only county and state roads no rock, most of my guys won't ride rock roads. did good i now can get to skiatook from my house by two different routes all black top not going through coffeyville, dearing, tyro, caney, dewey and bartlesville. no towns. ha! only 8 miles on us166, rest on state and county roads. ha! got my scouting done so i went back to mac's we just went there last week but i can always make do with a brisket sammich. 😁. i ate healthy today, i had a corn on the cob and blackberry cobler with two scoops. meat, bread, vegetable, fruit and dairy! thats a one lunch food pyramid. ha!
003.jpg
004.jpg
52 degrees when i left here and 63 leaving down there. 61 when i got back home. a great ride.

·
weird member
1,841 Posts
Once it fires up, you can check the charging system with a volt meter.
Yeah, I already got the manual open to the troubleshooting page for it. Gonna be a while, the thing was acting dead when trying to start so what juice was there took that hit. I have a different battery charger that has various modes and it does well (12v and 6v I think, but has charge modes for standard lead acid, AGM and something else I don't remember, as well as fast, slow and trickle charge rates with automatic shut off), thought about just using that one but since I wouldn't be getting to ride today, I figured I would just try to see how long it would take the tender to charge it. It's lit indicating charge mode rather than trickle, I haven't looked since I put it on.

I have a meter, but I don't have a lead test light for checking things like the voltage regulator as it calla for in the tests, but I am sure I can swing by and pick one up for $2 at any auto store.

Your tool Box Looks familiar
Yours have the power strip on the right side? Mine's a little different, I think mine was 52" or something? Can't quite remember. My left side drawers are wider. I just got the biggest one that would fit in the space I had. Home Depot had a deal on it at the time and I liked that one better than what was on offer at Harbor Freight at the time.

Our batteries out here in the southwest don’t last but 2 yrs if you don’t keep them on a battery tender. With the heat we get out here it’s very hard on batteries. If I’m not Riding it’s on the tender
Yeah, lot of people don't know, but batteries self-discharge faster the hotter it is, and it was definitely hot out here this summer (regular heat index of 110-115° with actual temp between 99 and 101). I never had a tender before now.

That said, despite having and using manual compression releases every start (hot or cold) with batteries that have the highest CCA available at O'Reilly Auto, may start plugging it in to the tender now that I have one, even though I ride daily. Never had a battery issue before other than natural death from age/use.

Hopefully it's just a fluke. We'll see. Maybe putting the space heater on it for 5 min before my rides when temps dropped below 40 all night (just to get the oil warm enough to flow for starting) was causing the battery to discharge faster?

Now I can't remember if I had battery discharge issues last winter or not.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Being a 1st time road captain how did you do?
Nervous ??

Still in training, but this was the first ride I planned, mapped, did the paper work, gave the pre-ride talk and led. One of the captains said it was one of the most thorough pre rides he'd heard in a long time. We got where we were headed, no one got hurt, so we're good ;) I did get asked to ride as a mentor for a new trainee in a couple of weeks. Told the Head Captain I wasn't an RC yet. He said you are almost there and you can handle this. Bumped my ego up a little 😀
By the way, We went to the Lake Harris Hideaway - sound familiar?

·
old scoot coot
2,777 Posts
jack and i rode down to evelyn's soul food in tulsa today. 182 miles. 59 when we left and 62 when we got home. we were blessed with another fine ridding day today. we had the thursday special which was chicken and noodles and corn bread. yum. got home about 3 and put bike on lift, drained all fluids out while they were still warm. it's going to be raining tomorrow and really cold saturday so i thought i might as well change fluids and take primary cover off and give the chain tensioner a look(200 miles short of 90,000mi). i don't make a practice of draining fluids and leaving cases empty but i was tired when i got plugs back in transmission and engine oil sump and oil filter replaced. it's on the lift and the new fluids are on the bench so even with my memory or lack thereof i can't fail not to replace fluids before start up. i wanted to leave plug out of primary case over night to allow almost complete evacuation before bumping the case loose. just to be sure i will leave fob in house until work is complete and fluids are where they should be before starting. paranoid to be sure, but that would just be too humiliating🤠.
007.jpg
008.jpg

3481 - 3500 of 3624 Posts