Harley Davidson Forums banner

3501 - 3520 of 3624 Posts

·
weird member
1,841 Posts
I didn't do any real tests to the charging system because super nasty weather is due tomorrow (Winter Storm Isaiah: hail, potential tornados, etc) and then rain for several days after, so I figured I would wait until then.

Charged it up, rode yesterday fine. Got home, stuck it back on the tender and when it was full, took it off. Just got up a little while ago and plugged the tender after it was off for over 12 hours and it was instantly reading greater than 80% charge and took less than 5 minutes to be a full charge so, I doubt anything is drawing on it when it's off, but I kind of figured that already.

However, after my measly 25 miles yesterday, it did take a long time to charge (but that tender is a lot slower than my other charger). I did notice lately though that there's a lot more stop-and-go and idling on my ride than what used to be, despite it all being back roads. There may be nothing wrong with the charging system and I am just not running long enough at a high enough RPM to recharge, because most days, that's all I get to do.

I just don't have the time since I don't get up until noon. I only get to go so far, and until I get it properly tuned (still waiting on that call for the dyno), I don't want to go very far from home anyway. Hopefully the guy will be back to work full time, they think by February. Meantime, my "how it feels" tuning has it a 190 main jet and it runs great in the mid range. Idle got bumped up from the stock 42 to a 44 and when I had done that, never got any change in it runing when tuning the idle mix going in, but at about 3-3½ turns (don't remember), the idle did increase and seem smoother, but she still idles pretty hot and the knock comes in if she gets hot and I come off a stop at less than 1800 rpm. I'm thinking it might need to be bumped up again to the 45 jet, but I would really rather confirm where I am now with the dyno before further tuning. It's not hard to start hot or cold, and at no point do I get any smoke or backfire from the pipe or the carb. The only time she seems rough is when idling down (hangs between 1250 and 1500 before coming down to 1050, also seems smooth but then vibrations rough around 1250 if I am low speed coasting and not touching the gas, clutch all the way in). And there's definitely not an air intake leak.

I suppose I ought to look at the plugs tomorrow after I finish running diagnostics on the charging system. Anyway, it's 2:00 now and 74° so, I need to get moving so I can get my ride in before dinner.

·
old scoot coot
2,777 Posts
a rainy day today. it's friday, round table day. only four of us today, jack didn;t even show. i snapped a pic of ron, johnny and tony and when the chicken and noodles came i forgot to snap a pic. i will next month. jo's noodles are homemade and with the chicken right in em. like mom used to make then on top of the mashed potatoes. different than evelyn's yesterday and better i think. yum,yum. jo's rolls are homemade too. i got home and postponed my rainy day nap to take primary cover off to see what i had. looks really good under there. no sparkelies from aluminum or the clutch plates. i haven't seen any of those in fluid changes since i got the bike with 2,800 miles. i changed to dextron then and saw the sparkelies in oil then and i couple of changes after that, then no more. i did a cam chest overhaul last winter at about 72,000 miles. new inner cam bearings, lifters, chain tensioner pads, and zippers oil pump spring and seat upgrade.. everything in there was worn but not that bad. on the 14 and later 103 HO engines from looking at mine i'd recommend running the cam chest and primary to 100,000, then replace primary chain auto tensioner and do the cam chest overhaul. now i know, ha. anyway the silver lining for me is i'm good, in those two areas, for another 100,000 miles. yea right. 🤠 i can go touring this summer and not worry about those grenading though. oh 89,800miles now. the primary chain was a bit tight i haven't looked at manual yet but i think they recommend that it should have three quarter inch deflection top center with tensioner in place. mine was exactly a half inch. from looking at the tensioner shoe not much wear for almost 90,000 miles so i'm sa 001.jpg 002.jpg 004.jpg
011.jpg
tisfied that the B and C tensioners take care of the tension as they should. anyway i will set up the new one per manual before buttoning her back up. high tomorrow will be only 29 degrees so i will finish it back up and add new fluids. i had to replace the battery on the side of the road i don;t remember hwo long ago. i forgot to write it down. seems like it is starting a little harder than normal so i'll check the date on battery and load test it also. i mark on the battery with magic marker when i replace the battery so if it's approaching three years it;s getting relplaced. i plan on covering some miles this summer!.
006.jpg

Attachments

·
old scoot coot
2,777 Posts
a rainy day today. it's friday, round table day. only four of us today, jack didn;t even show. i snapped a pic of ron, johnny and tony and when the chicken and noodles came i forgot to snap a pic. i will next month. jo's noodles are homemade and with the chicken right in em. like mom used to make then on top of the mashed potatoes. different than evelyn's yesterday and better i think. yum,yum. jo's rolls are homemade too. i got home and postponed my rainy day nap to take primary cover off to see what i had. looks really good under there. no sparkelies from aluminum or the clutch plates. i haven't seen any of those in fluid changes since i got the bike with 2,800 miles. i changed to dextron then and saw the sparkelies in oil then and i couple of changes after that, then no more. i did a cam chest overhaul last winter at about 72,000 miles. new inner cam bearings, lifters, chain tensioner pads, and zippers oil pump spring and seat upgrade.. everything in there was worn but not that bad. on the 14 and later 103 HO engines from looking at mine i'd recommend running the cam chest and primary to 100,000, then replace primary chain auto tensioner and do the cam chest overhaul. now i know, ha. anyway the silver lining for me is i'm good, in those two areas, for another 100,000 miles. yea right. 🤠 i can go touring this summer and not worry about those grenading though. oh 89,800miles now. the primary chain was a bit tight i haven't looked at manual yet but i think they recommend that it should have three quarter inch deflection top center with tensioner in place. mine was exactly a half inch. from looking at the tensioner shoe not much wear for almost 90,000 miles so i'm sa View attachment 780983 View attachment 780984 View attachment 780985 View attachment 780986 View attachment 780987 tisfied that the B and C tensioners take care of the tension as they should. anyway i will set up the new one per manual before buttoning her back up. high tomorrow will be only 29 degrees so i will finish it back up and add new fluids. i had to replace the battery on the side of the road i don;t remember hwo long ago. i forgot to write it down. seems like it is starting a little harder than normal so i'll check the date on battery and load test it also. i mark on the battery with magic marker when i replace the battery so if it's approaching three years it;s getting relplaced. i plan on covering some miles this summer!.

·
2004 Ultra Classic
1,108 Posts
Our batteries out here in the southwest don’t last but 2 yrs if you don’t keep them on a battery tender. With the heat we get out here it’s very hard on batteries. If I’m not Riding it’s on the tender

I disagree Rick I once got 6 years out one here. The one I have now is 3 years old and never been on a tender. Came with a genuine HD tender made in Japan did not work. Sat for 7 months while I replaced the cam tensioners. Was a little low so I gently re charged her up to speed. Luck of the draw I guess.

·
old scoot coot
2,777 Posts
i think maybe all batteries are not created equal. sometimes you get one that lasts a really long time. another same brand and cca doesn't lastg long at all. those are the ones i get. 🙁

·
American
25,864 Posts
Mine is on a battery tender whenever not being ridin..... currently that is two and a half months! Sure am ready for spring!

·
old scoot coot
2,777 Posts
  • buttoned up primary and finished three hole change. i had reported earlier that the chain was a bit tight. it wasnot it was right on specs with 1/2 inch of slack at top midway. the manual on the type b and c auto adjusters calls for slack of 1/2 to 5/8 inch of slack. i put new one on and bumped it up to 5/8s slack. the thensioner will adust from there. so if anyone was wondering if the later B and C types tend to over tighten as the earlier ones did, they don't. it was on tolerance after 89,800 miles. there was very little wear on the original one. .We all rag on moco but they really do try to make em better as they evolve.🧐 011.jpg

·
Registered
492 Posts
Eric rode over today out of the blue, I was putting the new tags on Lisa's Sportster. That arrived in Fridays mail.. Surprised how at just how fast DMV got it to us! I had to knock the dust off my bike after its two week nap. Then Eric and i rode to Temecula H.D. (He's getting harder to keep up with, now he's got that SG) He had told Lisa that he was going to get her a Hat when she bought the bike...He also bought her a Gremlin Bell! Thanks Eric! Lisa, had to work today, otherwise she would have been with us. The weather here was very nice today. Somewhere around 65 when we left. The ride back did a quick drop to a chilly 50... @ 5pm.

I was going to post the "plan" for tomorrow but, every time i do that, something eff's it all up! So if & when the plan works; i'll post pass tense..

·
old scoot coot
2,777 Posts
checked on the battery. it's only a yr and 4months old and load tests great chg rate on load tester same as scoot about 14.2 best i could read them. so i'll run it till next winter unless it hiccups. hung my new gremlin bell. wife bought it for me. old got ground off, mounted it too low. i looked and next month it will be two years since i flushed brakes and clutch so that is coming up. i think that will get me all done on winter maintenance.

·
Registered
492 Posts
What ya know, that plan worked! By waiting until after the fact..,
Her plan was to ride over to Costco, to experience a more traffic, (about 4 miles away). She led and maintained the posted 50 mph to get there. Two week ago she barley hit 40 on that road. (my job was to keep the cagers from tailgating) We made a pass through the parking lot and survived. This was a big boost to her level of confidence! We decided to take the frontage road that winds through Temescal Canyon to a place called Tom's Farm (a overgrown rest area with a farmers market, two restaurants, a wine tasting shop, furniture store and a duck pond with pony rides for the wee-ones) I saw at least 100 Harley's, 1 Norton and a handful of dual purpose bikes there. We met these two: 20200112_134817.jpg 20200112_134335.jpg
Characters, the guy wearing the cowboy hat is an actor / mechanic on the Netflix show "Car Masters Rags to Riches". She wanted her picture with them, so here ya go. We stopped of for fuel on the way back home as her fuel light works!

All said it we rode 3 hours, 75 miles all back roads. i must admit: Her ridding was nearly flawless! I have NO Doubt, she will have her Sporty mastered in no time!
Damn glad she went with a 1200. Anything less she would have on the auction block in a matter of weeks.
As soon as the pipes cooled, she was spiffing up her bike and putting the night gown over it!
She was sooo happy to get multiple compliments on her bike, even passers by at the gas station.
She's ECSTATIC with her new ride!

·
old scoot coot
2,777 Posts
What ya know, that plan worked! By waiting until after the fact..,
Her plan was to ride over to Costco, to experience a more traffic, (about 4 miles away). She led and maintained the posted 50 mph to get there. Two week ago she barley hit 40 on that road. (my job was to keep the cagers from tailgating) We made a pass through the parking lot and survived. This was a big boost to her level of confidence! We decided to take the frontage road that winds through Temescal Canyon to a place called Tom's Farm (a overgrown rest area with a farmers market, two restaurants, a wine tasting shop, furniture store and a duck pond with pony rides for the wee-ones) I saw at least 100 Harley's, 1 Norton and a handful of dual purpose bikes there. We met these two: View attachment 781029 View attachment 781031
Characters, the guy wearing the cowboy hat is an actor / mechanic on the Netflix show "Car Masters Rags to Riches". She wanted her picture with them, so here ya go. We stopped of for fuel on the way back home as her fuel light works!

All said it we rode 3 hours, 75 miles all back roads. i must admit: Her ridding was nearly flawless! I have NO Doubt, she will have her Sporty mastered in no time!
Damn glad she went with a 1200. Anything less she would have on the auction block in a matter of weeks.
As soon as the pipes cooled, she was spiffing up her bike and putting the night gown over it!
She was sooo happy to get multiple compliments on her bike, even passers by at the gas station.
She's ECSTATIC with her new ride!
very nice 1/2 ton. ya got yourself a built in riding buddy now! you two enjoy the scoots and each other! i've seen that guy on car masters. i'd bet your wife will watch that with you now! lucky guy, you are doing things right. 🆒

·
weird member
1,841 Posts
@1/2 Ton , glad to hear. She'll get more confident.

Back when I first started riding on the highway, I was terrified of 70 mph. It felt so fast. Eventually I got somewhat comfortable with that, then I went 80 mph and that felt scary fast, but then after that 70 mph was even more comfortable.

If she just increases speed in 5-10 mph increments and gets somewhat used to those speeds, it may boost her confidence for all speeds below her maximum comfort. Just has to get out of her comfort a little bit, but not too much, but don't push her out. Sometimes you throw a kid in the deep end of the pool and they learn to swim really quick, and sometimes they just sink. A motorcycle is not when you want to risk sinking in the deep end, ha ha.

Glad she's riding with you though. I know sometimes, spouses can get scared when riding with their partner. Like a fear of screwing up in front of them or disappointing them or something, maybe, like getting self-conscious? Some would rather practice with friends than the spouse, sometimes they'd rather the spouse than a friend.

·
American
25,864 Posts
Nice work 1/2 Ton! She will be showing you how to ride in no time! Lol

3501 - 3520 of 3624 Posts