Harley Davidson Forums banner

3521 - 3540 of 3624 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Nice work 1/2 Ton! She will be showing you how to ride in no time! Lol
@1/2 Ton , glad to hear. She'll get more confident.

Back when I first started riding on the highway, I was terrified of 70 mph. It felt so fast. Eventually I got somewhat comfortable with that, then I went 80 mph and that felt scary fast, but then after that 70 mph was even more comfortable.

If she just increases speed in 5-10 mph increments and gets somewhat used to those speeds, it may boost her confidence for all speeds below her maximum comfort. Just has to get out of her comfort a little bit, but not too much, but don't push her out. Sometimes you throw a kid in the deep end of the pool and they learn to swim really quick, and sometimes they just sink. A motorcycle is not when you want to risk sinking in the deep end, ha ha.

Glad she's riding with you though. I know sometimes, spouses can get scared when riding with their partner. Like a fear of screwing up in front of them or disappointing them or something, maybe, like getting self-conscious? Some would rather practice with friends than the spouse, sometimes they'd rather the spouse than a friend.
The truth is: She taught me how to really ride dirt bikes! She was retired from Motto Cross before we met. When we moved to Lake Elsinore and got dirt bikes. It didn't take long for the "Competitive spirit" flame to get re-kindled! Within a year of moving here, she decided to start racing again. She won the Woman's CMC Nationals that year. Fallowed by a fantastic finish in the Adalanto Grand Prix, She's finished the Elsinore G.P. a number of times. Our boys were raised on the Motto Cross Circuit.
Closed course racing is NOT in my blood. I am willing to take my lumps from Mother Nature but, If someone were to force me into a crash, or Kick out my spokes.. I would be a Blood Thirsty SOB! Thus i know closed coarse racing is a no-no for me. After some 10 years of MX. The family converted to Desert Ridding. (Camping and riding as a family).
She doesn't have a fear of speed. More so a respect for it. Her greatest fear on the street is cagers! She just has to slowly get use to the cars and trucks, Other than that, shes simply learning the "how-to's" of the paved "track" and a MUCH heavier bike. She's already discovered that a heavy bike, is a friendly bike, on the pavement!

So yes jpassh2o, I will soon be switching rolls, from teacher to student, no doubt!

·
old scoot coot
2,777 Posts
The truth is: She taught me how to really ride dirt bikes! She was retired from Motto Cross before we met. When we moved to Lake Elsinore and got dirt bikes. It didn't take long for the "Competitive spirit" flame to get re-kindled! Within a year of moving here, she decided to start racing again. She won the Woman's CMC Nationals that year. Fallowed by a fantastic finish in the Adalanto Grand Prix, She's finished the Elsinore G.P. a number of times. Our boys were raised on the Motto Cross Circuit.
Closed course racing is NOT in my blood. I am willing to take my lumps from Mother Nature but, If someone were to force me into a crash, or Kick out my spokes.. I would be a Blood Thirsty SOB! Thus i know closed coarse racing is a no-no for me. After some 10 years of MX. The family converted to Desert Ridding. (Camping and riding as a family).
She doesn't have a fear of speed. More so a respect for it. Her greatest fear on the street is cagers! She just has to slowly get use to the cars and trucks, Other than that, shes simply learning the "how-to's" of the paved "track" and a MUCH heavier bike. She's already discovered that a heavy bike, is a friendly bike, on the pavement!

So yes jpassh2o, I will soon be switching rolls, from teacher to student, no doubt!
for me, the young me motocross was my greatest joy. i loved bangin cases, the first turn in motocross is a large factor in determining the outcome. if you come out of that first or second, the rest of that moto is pretty uneventful. yep scott if you guys rode dirt together you are a natural pair on the roadj. 🤠

·
weird member
1,840 Posts
The family converted to Desert Ridding. (Camping and riding as a family).
Camping is exactly why I would eventually love to have an ADV if I could ever afford one.

And that's cool how she taught you mx. I've ridden dirt and farm bikes before, but never in a race or on a track. I didn't know she already was a rider (even if a different kind of riding). But hey, those mx/dirt skills do come in handy on the road with a cruiser, particularly in gaining control when losing traction (like hitting a sand patch or drifting a turn in the rain), but well, maybe more if you were on a lighter bike like an FX or Sportster, probably doesn't translate as well to bagger.

Didn't @Kainam get run off into a ditch by a truck in the last few years and his mx experience helped him navigate the cruiser through a ditch or something? I thought I read that.

·
Registered
37,000 Posts
Didn't @Kainam get run off into a ditch by a truck in the last few years and his mx experience helped him navigate the cruiser through a ditch or something? I thought I read that.

It was a car, but yeah intentionally forced me into a ditch with an overpass pillar right in the middle. Had to go to the left of the pillar towards the oncoming traffic side.

·
Registered
492 Posts
It was a car, but yeah intentionally forced me into a ditch with an overpass pillar right in the middle. Had to go to the left of the pillar towards the oncoming traffic side.
DAMN, That was just too close! Good job of keepin' your head on a swivel and maintaining composure!

·
Registered
492 Posts
Camping is exactly why I would eventually love to have an ADV if I could ever afford one.

And that's cool how she taught you mx. I've ridden dirt and farm bikes before, but never in a race or on a track. I didn't know she already was a rider (even if a different kind of riding). But hey, those mx/dirt skills do come in handy on the road with a cruiser, particularly in gaining control when losing traction (like hitting a sand patch or drifting a turn in the rain), but well, maybe more if you were on a lighter bike like an FX or Sportster, probably doesn't translate as well to bagger.

Lighter bike? Her sporty has a curb weight of 587 lbs / She rode 125 and 250 cc class. They weighed about just about 200 - 250 lbs if my memory is correct.. So that's like 3 X what she was use to. Add to that when racing she was at her prime & fit... Now add 20 years + of not riding & never ridden a street bike...She's 60 now but, still goin' strong!

I had ridden dirt bikes from age 8, but ridding desert with her: She taught me how to ride it correctly and WAY FASTER! She still has that mindset of grip the tank and wants to get up off the seat. (That just might come in handy, one day)

·
weird member
1,840 Posts
Lighter bike? Her sporty has a curb weight of 587 lbs / She rode 125 and 250 cc class. They weighed about just about 200 - 250 lbs if my memory is correct.. So that's like 3 X what she was use to. Add to that when racing she was at her prime & fit... Now add 20 years + of not riding & never ridden a street bike...She's 60 now but, still goin' strong!

I had ridden dirt bikes from age 8, but ridding desert with her: She taught me how to ride it correctly and WAY FASTER! She still has that mindset of grip the tank and wants to get up off the seat. (That just might come in handy, one day)
I meant relatively light cruisers vs heavy baggers as far as translating mx skills to cruisers on the street

·
Registered
492 Posts
I meant relatively light cruisers vs heavy baggers as far as translating mx skills to cruisers on the street
I figured that, I was typing my response "lightheartedly". My intent was not meant negatively. It took a lot of effort to nudge her away from the 500 & 750's as her biggest concern was the bikes weight! (is that all women think about?) :rolleyes:
Then this Sporty spoke to her...It was love at first sight. That bike picked her! Yes i agree with you, The bike feels like a toy in comparison to our baggers. In her eyes, the Sporster is a "BIG BIKE". So we play along... (y)

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Rode it to work today.
Just rub it in. I patted the saddle as I walked by to get to the snow blower. Three more inches on top of the five or six that were left from the last week. :confused:

·
weird member
1,840 Posts
I still haven't gotten around to testing the charging system. I visited by brother on Sunday though, he gave me this probe thing, but I dunno if it's gonna work. It's got a positive lead probe and the negative side is a clamp that I assume you're to clamp on a ground, the positive probe I think you're supposed to put on the battery positive. The body of the unit has 6 lights on it, three for showing battery level and three for the charging system.

I think it's meant for cars though, and obviously would only tell you if something is wrong with the charging system, but not tell you what, I guess it's meant to read the state of power going in? But that thing won't be accurate at idle. Probably won't use it.

Gonna pick up a trouble light today though. Eventually I'll get around to it. I was going to check it Saturday when that nasty storm was coming, but of course, couldn't sleep the night before and when I did finally get sleep and woke up three hours later, my shoulder felt like it had been run over by a large truck. Now, I've "slept wrong" before and woke up to a pulled muscle and some pain or stiff neck, but this was on a completely different level. It's Tuesday and my shoulder still hurts (though not nearly as bad).

I just ended up riding yesterday. About to go ride again. Keeping it on the tender when I get home. I don't have a load tester, but I can probably skip that part, I don't have any accessories except that tach, and it's back-lit by an LED. If there is something wrong, it's probably the voltage regulator or the stator. My hope is that if something is wrong, it'll be the easier to deal with regulator, but it'll likely end up with my luck being the stator.

·
old scoot coot
2,777 Posts
I still haven't gotten around to testing the charging system. I visited by brother on Sunday though, he gave me this probe thing, but I dunno if it's gonna work. It's got a positive lead probe and the negative side is a clamp that I assume you're to clamp on a ground, the positive probe I think you're supposed to put on the battery positive. The body of the unit has 6 lights on it, three for showing battery level and three for the charging system.

I think it's meant for cars though, and obviously would only tell you if something is wrong with the charging system, but not tell you what, I guess it's meant to read the state of power going in? But that thing won't be accurate at idle. Probably won't use it.

Gonna pick up a trouble light today though. Eventually I'll get around to it. I was going to check it Saturday when that nasty storm was coming, but of course, couldn't sleep the night before and when I did finally get sleep and woke up three hours later, my shoulder felt like it had been run over by a large truck. Now, I've "slept wrong" before and woke up to a pulled muscle and some pain or stiff neck, but this was on a completely different level. It's Tuesday and my shoulder still hurts (though not nearly as bad).

I just ended up riding yesterday. About to go ride again. Keeping it on the tender when I get home. I don't have a load tester, but I can probably skip that part, I don't have any accessories except that tach, and it's back-lit by an LED. If there is something wrong, it's probably the voltage regulator or the stator. My hope is that if something is wrong, it'll be the easier to deal with regulator, but it'll likely end up with my luck being the stator.
any auto parts store will load test it for you kyle. just leaving the leads on the battery while the bike is running will read voltage being delivered to battery on the load test meter.

·
old scoot coot
2,777 Posts
tony and i rode to sedan the long way today. down to bartlesville west to 99 then north to sedan 147 miles on the clock. pretty ok day mostly overcast and some sun breaks. temp 53 when we left and 57 when we got home. mighty fine for a january day. had lunch at buck's very good. a good ride for sure. 🤠

·
Registered
492 Posts
Just rub it in. I patted the saddle as I walked by to get to the snow blower. Three more inches on top of the five or six that were left from the last week. :confused:
Comiphorna sucks politically! But the bikes don't spend months under the blanket! :p

Just funnin' ya!

·
weird member
1,840 Posts
any auto parts store will load test it for you kyle. just leaving the leads on the battery while the bike is running will read voltage being delivered to battery on the load test meter.
Yeah, that's something I considered. Anyway, I had a $5 off discount coupon thing so I got a trouble light for $1 and some change gonna test the regulator tonight. Might go get a load test tomorrow.

·
2004 Ultra Classic
1,108 Posts
Shhh I am thinking adding some metal where the floor board brace scrapes on the jiffy stand side so it will scrape easier and louder. Then I will be the guy who scrapes his floor boards every time he shows up all the way through the turn. If I patent them I will call them Legend Makers. :cool::cool::cool:

·
Registered
492 Posts
Shhh I am thinking adding some metal where the floor board brace scrapes on the jiffy stand side so it will scrape easier and louder. Then I will be the guy who scrapes his floor boards every time he shows up all the way through the turn. If I patent them I will call them Legend Makers. :cool::cool::cool:
make it out of magnesium so you get a spark show in the process :p:LOL::ROFLMAO::sleep:

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Kyle, go down to your H.F. store and get their cheap digital VOA tester. It will do all you need.

3521 - 3540 of 3624 Posts