Harley Davidson Forums banner

3681 - 3700 of 3760 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
I installed the latest Harley-Davidson software update, including the Dealer Locations update. Everything went as planned!

·
old scoot coot
2,897 Posts
wow, another 73 degree day today. jack, tony and i rode down to tulsa today. ate lunch at lydia's soul food in north tulsa. i had fried catfish fillets, mashed potatoes and gravy, red beans and rice with texas toast. yum. riding flash again today and was going around a long sweeper on 75hwy and 70mph on the clock and heard a loud noise sounded like could be coming from primary. i'm nearly deaf without hearing aids and they were off. by the time i got them on i was out of the sweeper and never could duplicate it again all the way home. put 174 miles on the clock today. anyway i got to thinking about migration so when i got home i pulled out the trans dipstick with it on jiffy stand. it looked bone dry. jacked it up level and checked again nothing. it was still hot and checking trans oil on that chrome dip stick is hard to read when cold. anyway. trans couldn't be dry or it would have been full of blue steel gears and whinning like a toddler who just dropped his ice cream cone, after riding it home from tulsa. i have noticed gear shifting is noisier than on fury, but maybe not. it has the mufflers stripped clean inside and has a healthy harley throaty tone so with my hearing aids off and the louder pipes i may not hear its shifting. i had to go haul wood to the house and never got back down there. tomorrow i will investigate. if transmission is actually low or dry i will look and see if primary is over full. another day in paradise! 🤠

·
Registered
641 Posts
Did 200 miles Sunday leading a group of 12 bikes, took it easy ran close to the speed limits and about 10 - 15 mph over what the corner signs said, never scraped a floorboard so I knew I was riding easy. Last 40 miles turned the wick up a bit and gave the bike her head a little, felt much better even though I still didn't push it at all, everybody sort of kept up and said they had fun and was glad I waited till the end so everybody had the cobwebs shook out. Rode to work tonight before winter comes back.

·
old scoot coot
2,897 Posts
Did 200 miles Sunday leading a group of 12 bikes, took it easy ran close to the speed limits and about 10 - 15 mph over what the corner signs said, never scraped a floorboard so I knew I was riding easy. Last 40 miles turned the wick up a bit and gave the bike her head a little, felt much better even though I still didn't push it at all, everybody sort of kept up and said they had fun and was glad I waited till the end so everybody had the cobwebs shook out. Rode to work tonight before winter comes back.
sometimes ya just gotta air it out. clear the ports and chambers! 🤠

·
weird member
1,932 Posts
My dyno appointment is Thursday at 9 am. Decided to check the weather for that day and...
Screenshot_20200204-151136.png

Oh well, at least it won't be cold?

But, I really need to get it done.

Plus, about 3 hours from me in Fairhope, AL, someone is shooting some kind of biker movie and they need 600 extras and at present, they're saying you can make $125 per day. So, I am debating about applying for that:

·
Registered
536 Posts
GREAT NEWS, Kyle !!! (y)

·
old scoot coot
2,897 Posts
My dyno appointment is Thursday at 9 am. Decided to check the weather for that day and...
View attachment 781689

Oh well, at least it won't be cold?

But, I really need to get it done.

Plus, about 3 hours from me in Fairhope, AL, someone is shooting some kind of biker movie and they need 600 extras and at present, they're saying you can make $125 per day. So, I am debating about applying for that:
go kyle, mess up your hair, don't take a shower that day, smear some oil on your face and shirt and ask em if they are lookin for some biker dudes. take pics that will be a hoot. hell i'd tell em they didn't even have to pay me. 🤠

·
weird member
1,932 Posts
go kyle, mess up your hair, don't take a shower that day, smear some oil on your face and shirt and ask em if they are lookin for some biker dudes. take pics that will be a hoot. hell i'd tell em they didn't even have to pay me. 🤠
Well, all I gotta do is send in a picture. I may apply just for the hell of it, but if shooting is going to interfere with my summer trip... well, then I just wouldn't do it. Who knows, we'll see.

Actually, I've been an extra in a movie once before, some crap zombie movie. You know how there's bad B films right? This is more like, bad D film. One tiny little scene, and I am embarrassed for everyone involved. Hopefully this "biker movie" wouldn't be nearly as bad...

·
weird member
1,932 Posts
Oops, double post. If they'd stop breaking the site while I am actively using it...

EDIT:
Well, how about I just change the second of the double post to this...

Decided to put fresh plugs in for the dyno on Thursday since I will be too busy to ride tomorrow, plus I kind of wanted to see how they looked. Front plug is on the left, rear on the right.

Now I'm really interested to see what the afr trace shows, because it looks like I was pretty close.
IMG_20200204_222323364.jpg IMG_20200204_213209147.jpg IMG_20200204_213156853.jpg

·
weird member
1,932 Posts
Got my run today, and I am going to need to change the jetting just slightly.

Currently a 44 slow jet and a 190 main. Dyno guy has recommended bumping the slow to a 45 (which I already figured I would need to do anyway) and the main to a 195 and dropping the needle one notch leaner, so I will do that and then I also am going to need to retard the timing by 0.5 - 1° maybe to take care of that spark knock.

But, I was pretty close on my tuning.

I'll get another run, maybe next week or something, whenever I get a chance to run around with the rejet and timing adjustment to see if the knock is gone, and see how it turns out, hopefully it will come up a little more than 80.5 ft-lbs, but I do like that it's peak is low at 3700 rpm and even off the line it's over 70.

IMG_20200206_095233792.jpg

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Any idea what causes that weird dip at around 4700 rpm? Seems unusual, wonder if its an instrumentation error.

·
weird member
1,932 Posts
Any idea what causes that weird dip at around 4700 rpm? Seems unusual, wonder if its an instrumentation error.
Could be.

I can't imagine it's the jetting that would make an odd dip like that, only did a single pull (then again, I'm not exactly a tuner either, I just know the basics). I rarely crack 4000 rpm around town, and I don't cruise at that for sure, but I never noticed anything before. Could also just have been a fluke? The AFR trace doesn't show anything weird there. We'll see if it's still there once I go in for another run.

Got the carb re-jetted. I had ordered a new post screw for the timing/ignition, that might be in tomorrow. Anyway, I'm going to ride a bit tomorrow and see how she does with the jetting changes before I decide to retard it. The dynatek ignition is set on the 3rd of 4 curves (4 being least aggressive), and it limits max advance to 32° BTDC (4th curve limits advance to max 30° BTDC). I'm going to see if I still get knock before I roll it back. I'd rather retard this curve a degree than to drop to the last one, see how she does between the two.

IMG_20200206_112325867.jpg

·
old scoot coot
2,897 Posts
another green light day buti i've been gathering stuff up to do an oil pump upgrade for the 17. there have been four pump redesigns on the milwaukee 8 engines to address the sumping issues with that engine. the 17 was the earliest and by far the worst. the 17s were plagued with the issue much more than the 18s and early 19's. the pump used in the 2020 is the latest and moco thinks it is the final fix for the sumping problems. it has a 40 percent increase in scavenging volume and a 20 percent on the pressure side. i;m going by memory on those numbers so they may not be exactly right on them but close. enough that i will be making the upgrade to insure the long term health of the engine. i will check per the service bulliten to see if i have sumping issue but will make the upgrade regardless. i will pick the primary case vent kit up also to have just in case. no transfer issues yet but i changed to dissimilar fluids when i got the bike. i would not be surprised if it started transfering since i changed to atf in primary. anyway haveing it in place would ensure equal pressures in both cavities making a better home for seals and gaskets. i'd rather make the upgrades now than have to deal with one or both issues on the road. also will sleep much better knowing the upgrades are alreadky in place. 🤠

·
weird member
1,932 Posts
Well, looks like I won't have to retard the timing after all.

After changing the jetting, got out yesterday, it actually is starting easier. I didn't readjust the a/f screw at all from where it was when I put the 45 slow jet in, I just brought the idle back down to about 1000 rpm with the idle adjuster screw.

Got plenty warmed up both yesterday and today when riding and the idle hanging is almost completely gone. Before, when it was fully warmed up, when I come to a stop, the idle would hang between 1250 and 1400 rpm for about 2-3 seconds. Now, the idle rarely hangs and when it does, it's only at about 1150 for half a second. Off the line spark knock when hot is almost completely gone as well.

Yesterday I didn't get out on the highway, but I did today. Cruising 65 mph in 5th gear, brap the throttle and no spark knock. Cruise up to 70 mph and brap again, no knock. Get up to 75 and brap, no knock. Then from 70 mph, I didn't go WOT but I did get on it hard up to 85 mph (so roughly 3000-3100 rpm) and no knock. I also ran hard from a stop in first gear up to 35 mph and no spark knock.

So, Monday, I am going to swing by and schedule another dyno run.

·
old scoot coot
2,897 Posts
Well, looks like I won't have to retard the timing after all.

After changing the jetting, got out yesterday, it actually is starting easier. I didn't readjust the a/f screw at all from where it was when I put the 45 slow jet in, I just brought the idle back down to about 1000 rpm with the idle adjuster screw.

Got plenty warmed up both yesterday and today when riding and the idle hanging is almost completely gone. Before, when it was fully warmed up, when I come to a stop, the idle would hang between 1250 and 1400 rpm for about 2-3 seconds. Now, the idle rarely hangs and when it does, it's only at about 1150 for half a second. Off the line spark knock when hot is almost completely gone as well.

Yesterday I didn't get out on the highway, but I did today. Cruising 65 mph in 5th gear, brap the throttle and no spark knock. Cruise up to 70 mph and brap again, no knock. Get up to 75 and brap, no knock. Then from 70 mph, I didn't go WOT but I did get on it hard up to 85 mph (so roughly 3000-3100 rpm) and no knock. I also ran hard from a stop in first gear up to 35 mph and no spark knock.

So, Monday, I am going to swing by and schedule another dyno run.
sounds like you are there amigo, ride more and work less. the motorsickle mans dream. 🤠

·
old scoot coot
2,897 Posts
i went down to bville this morning. in cage dang it. i ordered the rest of the stuff i needed for the oil pump and primary vent. ordered a cam bearing. it's probably got the cheapy in it. if my tooling for the twin cam will r&r it i will. if not i'll go ahead and run it. i put it on the lift to prep for tear down. i took out the muffler baffles. that made it sound like rienharts on the m8's an improovement but i'm still not happy.with the packing still in it's basicly a reinhart (glass pac) now so i'll run it for a bit like that. then will probably remove it. i did that to the street canons on the 14 twin cam and i really like the sound of it. of course with the m8 and no performance cam it won't have the potato potato sound. that is pretty much gone with the m8. it runs like a scalded dog though. that makes you feel better. the torque is nice too. pretty much from 45mph on up sixth gear will do. no more 6,5,6,5 when slowing, speeding back up and passing etc.parts won't show up till later next week so i'll have lots of time. green light days all week rideable temp dayks are going to be raining so it's piddle in the shop days next week. i'll start tearing it down tomorrow. it'll be raining so may as well. evening gents. sweet dreams about roaring internal combustion engines! 🤠

·
weird member
1,932 Posts
sounds like you are there amigo, ride more and work less. the motorsickle mans dream. 🤠
Or at least damn close... until I decide I can get more out of it by changing the drive ratios and start looking at swapping out the trans and wheel sprockets. 😝

Nah, I am not messing with all that. Though, it's still a little rough running in 5th gear. Dropping the needle one notch may have been too much, might need one washer under it, we'll see when I get another pull. I also was thinking I might need to further bump the slow jet up to a 46 since it's 3 or 3 ½ turns out on the a/f screw, and I would have to run the a/f screw in some if I did that obviously, but I just don't like that there's so little room left for adjusting the screw.

But, she's running cleaner and better/smoother. It is still a little rough in the top end, but not knocking. Though it could just be that the transmission hasn't been run much in 5th and needs more break-in because I just been staying around town until I could get it tuned right.

I want to keep the mix more on the lean side of the zone it likes so I can produce as much power as possible. But she seems to burn best (most balanced combustion) on a pretty fat mix (12:1 or 11:1), whereas it used to be a balanced combustion more at 13:1.

High of 70 today, going to get out on this highway a bit and a back road I haven't been on in a while.

·
American
25,974 Posts
Added a regulator since I did the stator. Goes in tomorrow. Should get her back tomorrow night. Not crazy about the numbers (108hp/130tq), but with true duals and CFR mufflers, I should have expected it. Huge numbers compared to the 78hp/98tq I was used to.

Looking good Chief!

·
old scoot coot
2,897 Posts
rained off and on all day. i went down to the shop this afternoon to start getting flash ready for the oil pump upgrade. there was a bunch of stuff in the way so i took that off. i opened up the camchest and cut the oem pushrods out. i will be using s&s adjustable pushrods and lifter cuffs. the pump will be the newest redesighn used in the 2020 models. it's not sumping now but with a 40 percent increase in scavanging volume it should never develop sumping issues, even if i stage it. and better long term engine health with the 20 percent increase in volume on the pressure side as well. i only ordered parts yesterday when i saw the forcast for the upcoming week. i usually have parts ready before i begin. so i may get my last winter maintenance done, a brake flush on b
014.jpg
017.jpg
020.jpg
oth scoots. if the sun comes out i'll be gone on fury, thats for sure. 🤠

3681 - 3700 of 3760 Posts