Harley Davidson Forums banner

4381 - 4400 of 4485 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Tommy, Yep, I'm a Mopar guy, 3 1970 340 Dusters, '72 340 Challlenger, '67 383 Formula S Barracuda, '70 440 Cuda, 383 Wedge in a 68 Woody Gilmore front engine dragster followed by a 408 Wedge injected on alcohol (and some pop), and now a 526" Wedge in a '32 Altered, stack injected but with an 8-71 and Enderly hat sitting on the shelf. Is Eureka Springs an annual event on Memorial Weekend? If so, will keep it in mind for next year as I do like the roads down there!

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Tommy, Yep, I'm a Mopar guy, 3 1970 340 Dusters, '72 340 Challlenger, '67 383 Formula S Barracuda, '70 440 Cuda, 383 Wedge in a 68 Woody Gilmore front engine dragster followed by a 408 Wedge injected on alcohol (and some pop), and now a 526" Wedge in a '32 Altered, stack injected but with an 8-71 and Enderly hat sitting on the shelf. Is Eureka Springs an annual event on Memorial Weekend? If so, will keep it in mind for next year as I do like the roads down there!

You would like my phone number pre fixes. Home: 383 Cell: 360 :cool:

·
Noel
8,122 Posts
Hey ET, I hope you're feeling better in the AM, if not bang out and eFF' them!!

·
old scoot coot
3,344 Posts
ok mopar man! slingshot 383 had mopar written all over it. when my sister graduated from college she bought a new barracuda it had a 318 in it and that thing went like hell. she would have sent me to hell if she'd known how i drove it. 😬

·
old scoot coot
3,344 Posts
You would like my phone number pre fixes. Home: 383 Cell: 360 :cool:
holy moley that is some serious go fast quick equipment. from now on that is mr. mopar man to me! yea jim i like the prefixes. no eureka springs is our annual meet up at the land o nod motel there. it's the first weekend in june always and forever. join us next year if you aren't racing. and bring photos please!!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Mr Slingshot you lost me on the 1970 340mDuster ;)

·
weird member
2,172 Posts
Went to ride day before yesterday, starter kick-back on both times I started it (cold and hot). Somomabitch, this is a brand new starter.

Anyway, go to ride today, start it up and "grgrgrggrgrgrgrgrgrgrgrgrg" (though it did start pretty quick, as it has been, usually starts in 0.5 seconds or less, hot or cold, pretty much bangs off almost the instant I hit the start button).

I also hear what I suspect is the compensator slapping again on occasion, but no "primary full of rocks" sound when I shut it off.

Did notice though the other day, the red thread locker I had (that I would have used on the comp nut) is "high temp" not "high strength" (or whatever it's called). Guess I accidentally picked up the wrong one before. Dug around and I do have high strength red thread locker.

When I get home, guess I am going to drain the primary and double check everything in there. If it's loose, and the high strength thread locker + 165 ft-lbs (I think that's the max torque spec in the manual) doesn't keep the comp locked down... well I dunno what to do then, but I don't like this goings on when I had JUST fixed it a few weeks ago and a trip coming in two weeks.

🤬 🤬 🤬

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Hey ET, I hope you're feeling better in the AM, if not bang out and eFF' them!!
Hi Taxman
Back and ass still sending pain down my left leg , again it was busy as hell people lining up at 8.30am when we opened at 9am we counted in 50 let another 10 in so total of 60 ..the ques got longer and longer lots of people asking for bags of soil and bags of compost and wood chips for ground cover all heavy to handle and no help forth coming.
Again at 11am I asked to be re leaved for 15 mins coffee break . no one came back so at 1pm I called over the radio no one came back so I just walked off for 1/2 hr lunch break that I pay for .
worked until 6pm again due to the amount of people in the centre only paid until 5pm .
Had I have known how the company were going to run this show with so little staff I would have stayed on Furlough .

·
Registered
689 Posts
Tommy, in addition to my altered, I crew on a friends nostalgia funny car that has a 540 Alan Johnson Fat Head engine 14-71 blower, MSD 44amp mag, and Rossler transmission. I have the information written down and will keep that weekend open if there isn't a race in our circuit. I would have to trailer down as wife has a bad back, and in order to do day rides, have to cage for longer trips.

·
weird member
2,172 Posts
Well, isn't that just great... and only one tooth came out when I pulled the plug that I noticed, thought I need to hunt for the other, but decided to run a magnet in the oil pan and yeah, there was the second one in there.

Luckily, nothing else looks damaged and comp still seems tight. Also luckily, I happen to have a spare on hand for once.
IMG_20200519_144749937.jpg IMG_20200519_141601592.jpg

·
Registered
38,119 Posts
Well, isn't that just great... and only one tooth came out when I pulled the plug that I noticed, thought I need to hunt for the other, but decided to run a magnet in the oil pan and yeah, there was the second one in there.

Luckily, nothing else looks damaged and comp still seems tight. Also luckily, I happen to have a spare on hand for once.
View attachment 784862 View attachment 784863
Ouch.

·
weird member
2,172 Posts
Yeah, just waitng for it to cool down the rest of the way before I replace it.

The spare I have is another stock one. I was going to be mad if it was the starter clutch on the brand new starter.

When cold, seems to start much easier if I don't use the compression releases, but I may just have to use the one on the front jug every time if there's too much starting torque there for the pinion gear (in the event of kickback).

1.4 kW starter turning a 10-tooth pinion (stock) on the 100-whatever stock clutch basket ring gear, with a primary gear ratio of 28/36 tooth comp/clutch with the engine CR being 10.2∶1.

I mean nominal 10∶1 CR on an 80" Evo doesn't need comp releases with a high-torque starter, does it? When I swapped to this one, didn't seem to have any trouble turning over, and even with the stock starter, cold start was harder if I hit the releases (less hard if I hit only the front jug release, it wasn't a fan of anything if I only hit the rear one).

While I wait, decided to look online and there's one on J&P that's a 10 tooth that claims to be stronger than stock, I dunno... they got 2 different ones that are 10 tooth but for one for 102 and 84 tooth ring gears, and I looked in the shop manual for my bike and nowhere does it list the ring gear tooth count, and I am not counting that by hand (though I am pretty sure it's 102 teeth).

·
V-Twin Junkie
202 Posts

View attachment 784862 View attachment 784863
Ouch! What a PITA.

4381 - 4400 of 4485 Posts