Harley Davidson Forums banner

4641 - 4660 of 4733 Posts

·
Registered
38,489 Posts
i guy came in on an indian challenger. it is a great lookin bagger. powerful, fast and fully water cooled. an electric windsheild that extends and retracts. the fairing is attractive and functional. they guy that owns it had a street glide before and couldn't say enough good things about it. he was 36 years old. harley is going to have some work to ,appeal to the young fellas.
Harley has some work to do if they want to keep the grey beards too. Tuff choice between that Challenger and a Road Glide.

Thing that pisses me off about HD is they keep trickling out the "upgrades" a little at a time. Why wait for HD when you can get the whole package now from Indian?

Only thing HD has IMO is color options.

·
weird member
2,226 Posts
Just a brief putt around town. New rear brake disk should be in by Tuesday.

In the meantime, something feels loose, wheel-wise. When cornering, just feels almost like one of the tires has a football shape. I know that's not the case. From the trip, my rear tire has cupped a little, but it's not bad. At first, when I got to ES, there were only a few random cups but now, it's all the way around. I'm thinking 40 psi on the rear might have been not enough for the load. Max listed psi is 44 I think, recommended psi (according to Dunlop) for that tire is 40. Not sure if the cupping is making that feel or not.

Still, the cupping is extremely mild, not very bad at all. But when I replace that brake disk, going to check endplay again, and go through several other things I should have already done since the long trip, like checking the motor mounts.

Tentatively, going to Columbus, GA this coming Friday to check out Clay's FXR, and try to convince him he really wants to put $2,000-$3,000 into the engine with headwork, pistons and a bad ass cam.

Otherwise, I decided I will, at my next oil change, put one of those Jagg SlimLine vertical oil coolers on the bike, if I can pick up an odd job somewhere to get the $350 for it.

·
old scoot coot
3,432 Posts
Harley has some work to do if they want to keep the grey beards too. Tuff choice between that Challenger and a Road Glide.

Thing that pisses me off about HD is they keep trickling out the "upgrades" a little at a time. Why wait for HD when you can get the whole package now from Indian?

Only thing HD has IMO is color options.
i know what you are saying brian. after seeing one in the flesh and having him show me the features and benefits, i was blown away. yea hd has more colors for sure. i'd like to ride one this kid said it is fast!

·
old scoot coot
3,432 Posts
johnny richards and i took a little ride today. rain forcast was wrong, cool. 128 miles we had some icecream and pie at toots in howard. we squeezed through the road blocks and went through the closed hwy on tenth street. no crew on sunday. to go the twisty route on hwy 160 out of independence. coming back we went south across the rolling praries down to sedan and through the flint hills on 166 coming back. nice day and nice ride and a good time was had by johnny and me. flash got a break today, johnny likes the pace a little slower. when i'm 82 i probably will too. supposed to storm hard tonight and rain tomorrow. i think the storm is a shure thing but hope they are wrong on the rain again tomorrow. hasta

·
Try'n to behave
5,771 Posts
Just a brief putt around town. New rear brake disk should be in by Tuesday.

In the meantime, something feels loose, wheel-wise. When cornering, just feels almost like one of the tires has a football shape. I know that's not the case. From the trip, my rear tire has cupped a little, but it's not bad. At first, when I got to ES, there were only a few random cups but now, it's all the way around. I'm thinking 40 psi on the rear might have been not enough for the load. Max listed psi is 44 I think, recommended psi (according to Dunlop) for that tire is 40. Not sure if the cupping is making that feel or not.

Still, the cupping is extremely mild, not very bad at all. But when I replace that brake disk, going to check endplay again, and go through several other things I should have already done since the long trip, like checking the motor mounts.

Tentatively, going to Columbus, GA this coming Friday to check out Clay's FXR, and try to convince him he really wants to put $2,000-$3,000 into the engine with headwork, pistons and a bad ass cam.

Otherwise, I decided I will, at my next oil change, put one of those Jagg SlimLine vertical oil coolers on the bike, if I can pick up an odd job somewhere to get the $350 for it.
Don't you have spokes?

Check to make sure they are all properly tightened. Just tap them lightly with a small wrench or screw driver and they should give a clear ring and all should sound the same.

My shovel would give me that feeling occasionally, especially on curves at speed. Had a few loose spokes that apparently allowed the rim to shift ever so slightly on the hub. Kind of an unnervey feeling when you think about what COULD have happened.

·
weird member
2,226 Posts
Don't you have spokes?

Check to make sure they are all properly tightened. Just tap them lightly with a small wrench or screw driver and they should give a clear ring and all should sound the same.

My shovel would give me that feeling occasionally, especially on curves at speed. Had a few loose spokes that apparently allowed the rim to shift ever so slightly on the hub. Kind of an unnervey feeling when you think about what COULD have happened.
Yeah, both wheels are spoked, another thing I planned to check when I have it up to replace the brake disk.

Kind of dreading having to check 80 spokes per wheel though.

·
Try'n to behave
5,771 Posts
Yeah, both wheels are spoked, another thing I planned to check when I have it up to replace the brake disk.

It really doesn't take that long. A lot of times I will just drag the wrench around the circumference and tap each spoke listening to the tone. The hard part is truing the wheel if you find loose ones. o_O

·
Try'n to behave
5,771 Posts
Oh, and you can do it with the bike on the ground. Doesn't have to be lifted.

Reactions: slingshot383

·
Registered
178 Posts
Looking forward to the video, mine needs cleaning.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
Here's how you do it: take headlight off bike, just the part that holds the bulb, and take out bulb and the reflector thing the bulb sits just behind. It's held in by a #1 phillips screw. It will make sense when you see it. Now you take a soft cloth, micro fiber works great, spray a bunch of window cleaner THAT IS SAFE TO USE ON PLASTIC, like windex or my fav Armor All glass cleaner, and stuff it in the hole where the bulb was. Use a wooden dowel rod or anything safe on plastic so you don't jack up the lens or the big reflector, to wipe the towel all around to get the build up off. This only happens to halogen assemblies for some reason and even the dealer was baffled when I explained this but you can fix it in about 15 mins for a little of your time. I hope that all makes sense. Oh and use a dry cloth to wipe dry everything inside the assembly also. It might take a few tries but it comes off and will look like new.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Went out to ride Daisy to work on this absolutely gorgeous morning and low and behold there was a small puddle under the front of the engine. I was very meticulous about cleaning up the spilled oil from changing the filter and I know sometimes oil will drip for a tad from places you can't reach blah blah blah. Nope, not it. The front friggin ABS unit is leaking! WTF does not even scratch how I'm feeling right now. Then i read up on the MoCo's ABS woes and I'm a bit miffed. 12K miles and it's now a huge paperweight until I fix it. Great. At least I have 2 other bikes to ride in the meantime.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts

52 ding 53 ding 54 ding ......Hey darlin, can you answer the phone, its ringing....uh where was I? SH1T! 1 ding 2 ding

·
Try'n to behave
5,771 Posts
Reactions: Villain

·
Try'n to behave
5,771 Posts
52 ding 53 ding 54 ding ......Hey darlin, can you answer the phone, its ringing....uh where was I? SH1T! 1 ding 2 ding
😅

Reactions: 1/2 Ton

·
Registered
178 Posts
After work decided to take a closer look at my leak problem. No fluid loss in the front master cylinder so I knew it had to be something else. Bled the brakes anyway since I was already into it on the lift and then cleaned it all up very good and went for a test ride. It's transmission fluid travelling up the clutch cable somehow. This is a new one on me. I've seen trans fluid go up speedo cables before but they rotate and that can make more sense. Time to search the forum and Google for hopefully an answer.

4641 - 4660 of 4733 Posts