Harley Davidson Forums banner

4661 - 4680 of 4733 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Good news, guys. Well, good news for me anyway. I actually was able to find good info about my 'leak' here on the forum. Turns out that if your transmission vent tube is plugged up, the pressure will force fluid up the clutch cable and out the adjuster connector. First time encountering this issue ever for me. Damn mud-dobbers plugged it up. I hate those bastards. I need to get a new one now because while trying to clear it out, it tore so I just ripped it off to make sure it was clear. It's all good now. $4 part but a PITA to get at on a Softail Deluxe, but that's OK. Learn from me and the handful of others that have had this problem: check your vent tubes! (y)

·
weird member
2,226 Posts
Well, just checking the front wheel since I couldn't check 80% of the rear (too much crap in the way: bags, brake disk, belt sprocket, brake caliper) and 2 out of 40 that I checked of the 80 spokes didn't ring out.

Got it up, wheels removed and I see on the inside of the rear brake caliper mount bracket, some scraping at the inside bottom edge (no pics because no camera). No idea what that's about, but I don't like it, looks super fresh, and not like I just did it in removing the wheel, but like it's been got at for a few hundred miles, but I can't see any scraping on the brake disk (which, is the only thing that could hit it unless something wedged in there, but there would still be scraping on the disk if that was the case).

Also, ripped off one of the two rubber bits on the caliper mount when trying to get the rear wheel off, the rubber thing that faces the wheel, opposite where the caliper mounting bolts go in. The other one is ripped half-way around. Haven't yet looked to see if those rubber things are replaceable. If not, then I have to drive an hour away to go get the thing off of my old one.

I should have just removed the fn belt guard to have room instead of trying to minimize crap to do. This exactly why I hate pulling the rear wheel.

🤬

I'm just going to drop them off at Harley to be trued. Brake disk hasn't arrived yet.

EDIT:
Looked in the parts manual and it looks like that rubber piece is replaceable, called a bushing (pn 44035-86A).

·
Registered
129 Posts
Good news, guys. Well, good news for me anyway. I actually was able to find good info about my 'leak' here on the forum. Turns out that if your transmission vent tube is plugged up, the pressure will force fluid up the clutch cable and out the adjuster connector. First time encountering this issue ever for me. Damn mud-dobbers plugged it up. I hate those bastards. I need to get a new one now because while trying to clear it out, it tore so I just ripped it off to make sure it was clear. It's all good now. $4 part but a PITA to get at on a Softail Deluxe, but that's OK. Learn from me and the handful of others that have had this problem: check your vent tubes! (y)
You don't have to worry about lubing the cable now 😄 glad you let everyone know the fix.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Did about 270 miles today. Tried to go to the top of Mt. Spokane, but the road to the top is still closed. So, I rode south through The Palouse. It is just plain gorgeous with the wheat and other crops full and maturing. Got to Pullman and had lunch at The Emerald (long history with this place), then rode through the campus I used to work at (WSU -- Go Cougs!), then headed out to the road that runs through wife's family farm. Uh-oh! It's closed about ten miles in. They are doing a big rebuild on the road. So, I rode back to the mail N-S highway, and back north to Colfax, then out to the farm. Talked with wife's cousin who runs the operation. Things are going well and crops are in good shape.

Then I headed home. ODO shows almost 1600 miles.

·
old scoot coot
3,432 Posts
Did about 270 miles today. Tried to go to the top of Mt. Spokane, but the road to the top is still closed. So, I rode south through The Palouse. It is just plain gorgeous with the wheat and other crops full and maturing. Got to Pullman and had lunch at The Emerald (long history with this place), then rode through the campus I used to work at (WSU -- Go Cougs!), then headed out to the road that runs through wife's family farm. Uh-oh! It's closed about ten miles in. They are doing a big rebuild on the road. So, I rode back to the mail N-S highway, and back north to Colfax, then out to the farm. Talked with wife's cousin who runs the operation. Things are going well and crops are in good shape.

Then I headed home. ODO shows almost 1600 miles.
cool, rapier. sounds like a swell ride. ya sure got it warmed up in that many miles. me thinks you like the new motorsickle!

·
old scoot coot
3,432 Posts
got a haircut first thing this morning. man, it might be grown out by oct trip to alpine. summer cut i guess. stopped by johnnys. he said he needed a new pair of jeans from atwoods in bartlesville. 94 miles, a shorty. but ok. we stopped at copan truck stop and had the special. meatloaf, mashed tatters and gravy, corn and a lemon bar for desert. and dr. pepper of course. pretty darned good, yum. good day and we had a good time.

·
old scoot coot
3,432 Posts
we took a day trip today. 174 miles. we rode over to pittsburg and had lunch at harry's downtown. i nice day only 94 and severe clear. efi tune is spot on now. i'm done for sure. a good ride and a good time was had by mickey, tony and tommy. round table at lannings tomorrow. jo at dearing drive in has closed dining room for good we think.

·
Registered
87 Posts
After a long... long day.. I came home from work, I saw my wife and son, and then I just went out and rode. Don't know how long it how far. It was just nice to do something I wanted to do and not worry about anyone but myself.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Noel
8,275 Posts
Went for a ride Thursday evening after coffee conversation with old timers downtown, I spent the rest of the beautiful night, riding through the farm lands of Rehoboth via rt-118 to Swansea, Somerset and Fall River by rt-6 then up rt-79 & rt-24 through Freetown, Assonet, Dighton, East Taunton, then rt-140 to Norton and rt-123 to Attleboro.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
New bling for Daisy. Got the matching timing cover also. I like this old school look. Got 15% Veteran discount as well. Rode 60 miles to dealer in Asheboro since they were the only ones who had it. Beautiful back roads ride.
Nice. I have the same cover in black on my Heritage.

·
Registered
38,489 Posts
Harley has some work to do if they want to keep the grey beards too. Tuff choice between that Challenger and a Road Glide.

Thing that pisses me off about HD is they keep trickling out the "upgrades" a little at a time. Why wait for HD when you can get the whole package now from Indian?

Only thing HD has IMO is color options.

4661 - 4680 of 4733 Posts