Harley Davidson Forums banner

4681 - 4700 of 4733 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Changed out the bad transmission vent tube. A little time consuming because of how tight it is in there with a brace you gotta move and the oil tank in the way, but not too bad.

·
weird member
2,226 Posts
Looked at it sitting on the jackstand. Waiting on parts sucks.

·
Try'n to behave
5,771 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Took a little 45 mile jaunt around the county this morning. I got caught up in a Florida liquid sunshine shower, you know, the kind where the sun is shining and it's raining. Ride when you get a chance . Got home in time to wipe down the RK before the next rain shower arrived, suns out again now.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
old scoot coot
3,432 Posts
brian and i met up at the burger place we happened onto last week in humbolt. we had a good lunch and some good conversation. dreamed up some new stuff to try. two day rides over his weekend and stuff. turned out to be a great ride day. forcast rain went away and cloud cover helped keep it cooler. this covid thing is coming ttagain. it's just sad. probably will be a difficult year everywhere. lets hope for an early arrival on the vaccine. it was a great day for food, weather and ridding and a good time was had by brian and myself. that night train is a purdy motorsickle!

·
Registered
702 Posts
Took eldest daughter (home from Camp Pendleton for a friends wedding) for a 200 mile ride through some twisties. She and he husband got a Sportie 2 months ago, and she said she was so comfortable sitting on the back of the Ultra Limited she almost fell asleep a couple of times. I only drug the floorboards once, so I wasn't overly aggressive.

·
old scoot coot
3,432 Posts
Took eldest daughter (home from Camp Pendleton for a friends wedding) for a 200 mile ride through some twisties. She and he husband got a Sportie 2 months ago, and she said she was so comfortable sitting on the back of the Ultra Limited she almost fell asleep a couple of times. I only drug the floorboards once, so I wasn't overly aggressive.
ha! i guess overly aggressive would be grinding one clear off?:cool:

·
old scoot coot
3,432 Posts
Picked up SE clutch and spring set now figure out to use ATF or back to oil in primary
just my 2cents worth. on my 14 limited i trashed the compensator at 35,000 miles. i was running oil in primary. i replaced the comp with another stock comp just like the one that went south. i went to atf in primary then. and at 93,000 no further issues with comp. any oil will lube the chain and clutch pretty much. my theory is that the lighter weight atf gets slung around in the case better and lubes the compensator. and kainam said to use it thats good enough for me. he also sais that leaks from primary are easily id'd as such by the red color. brian is an oil guru and has done much research on that subject. i also followed his lead on engine oil, mobil 1 15-50 and gl5 rated gear oil in transmission.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I think i will put the ATF in this time plus I do have a little whirling wine that developed over time after I put the SE compensator and the glue on oil slinger on the cover.
Also put SE manual chain tensioner which I will check the slack because it has a bad start up drag when bike is hot.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Tommytailspin - Grinding it off is very aggressive, I was thinking that just hitting them a dozen times or so would be aggressive.

·
weird member
2,226 Posts
I finally was able to do something today. Rear caliper mount bushing/nipple things came in, so I installed those. Hopefully tomorrow they'll be finished with truing the wheels. All I am waiting on now. May go out and take the belt guard off and compress the rear brake piston so it will be all ready to slap the wheels back on (after I change the rear brake disk).

·
Registered
685 Posts
Got back from a 1701 mile week off with my wife and the bike. First road trip of the "covid" new year. We went from Savannah up to Lakemont GA then Little Switzerland NC then up to the VA border via the Blue Ridge Parkway then back down. Hit a ton of great roads along the way. Stayed off all the famous stuff this time except the Blue Ridge Pkwy which we love and the Cherohala Skyway. Wayah Rd in north GA is awesome but I'm not sure where it is!. the Cherohala was in the clouds so a LONG 25 mph putt ensued but it's a road trip so deal with the rain and poor visibility. On one of the twisty back road we were on, I pulled in the clutch on a downhill slope to cool the ole girl a bit and my wife said "Hey, we sound like a Honda!" I almost crashed I was laughing so hard. Didn't take a lot of pics but the one is a pull off on the Blue Ridge, just short of the Virginia border. There is less Scotch and gas in the world now.😝
IMG_6662.jpeg

4681 - 4700 of 4733 Posts