Harley Davidson Forums banner

4961 - 4980 of 5173 Posts

·
weird member
2,260 Posts
How much of a hassle would it be to put longer brake lines in? Looking at the first pic, that looks to be the only option. Then the adapter could be installed the correct way? Just my observation, looking at a 2d photo.
The correct way is the tube lines you see to be at the bottom... the lines aren't the issue, the top of the adapter (at the bottom left in those pics) won't clear the engine and reservoir its correct orientation, the orientation in the pic is the only way it can clear everything.

Longer brake reservoir line would reduce the pressure the adapter puts on it, but regardless of that, the oil lines from the adapter to the cooler would be in the way to change the filter.

And there's no where else to put it, the adapter mounts to the stock oil filter mount, which itself can't be moved as there's neither a place else to move it or a way to move it.

Reactions: slingshot383

·
weird member
2,260 Posts
Here's more pics of the thing. The first half of the adapter fits, it's the second half with the access lines for the cooler and the part that the oil filter mounts onto that won't clear (and how it's designed, both parts are necessary). Just so you can see how it mounts on...

Now I am thinking about if I could make an offset bracket to raise the reservoir up and over a little bit. It only needs just the smallest little bit of room.

received_3342190632507381.jpeg received_2688986777867632.jpg received_309821083548075.jpeg

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Here's more pics of the thing. The first half of the adapter fits, it's the second half with the access lines for the cooler and the part that the oil filter mounts onto that won't clear (and how it's designed, both parts are necessary). Just so you can see how it mounts on...

Now I am thinking about if I could make an offset bracket to raise the reservoir up and over a little bit. It only needs just the smallest little bit of room.

View attachment 786659 View attachment 786660 View attachment 786661
I see what you mean now. The Voltage regulator and brake reservoir are held by the same bolts? Makes me wonder if the bracket has slotted holes? Or can the holes be expanded enough, safely?
Edit: Scratch that! I see the mounting bolt for the reservoir in the center pic... Yep, time to manufacture a custom bracket.

·
weird member
2,260 Posts
I see what you mean now. The Voltage regulator and brake reservoir are held by the same bolts? Makes me wonder if the bracket has slotted holes? Or can the holes be expanded enough, safely?
Edit: Scratch that! I see the mounting bolt for the reservoir in the center pic... Yep, time to manufacture a custom bracket.
Well, they both mount to the same bracket on the frame, but not to each other (the reservoir and the regulator). There's fixed bolts on the bracket for the regulator, and notches on the top for the reservoir. Though, I did have to pull the regulator to reach the screws for the reservoir (no big deal).

Can't do anything until tomorrow but yeah, I'm going to make an offset bracket, and I need to get a longer piece of hose for the reservoir, and some small enough nuts/bolts to fit behind the regulator for the bracket. I found a scrap piece of metal that's strong enough. I'm going to move the reservoir up by about 1/4" and to the left by about 1" or so (haven't actually measured yet).

I did Google it and someone else on a different forum ran into the same issue as me (I dunno about all years, but it looks like only FX softails had this reservoir; FL softail models had a traditional master cylinder setup, dunno what dynas had, but I know the FXR also has a traditional master cylinder setup). They also made a bracket to relocate their reservoir, but they did it in a different way than what I am going to do. They moved theirs to in front of the down tubes, below the regulator with two pieces of metal held on by the regulator. I'm just going to have one piece that keeps it in the same general location, just up and to the left a little.

Will make it easier to get to that too for bleeding and servicing the rear brake. Already it's hard to get a small allen in there on the right side one between the tubes and the front jug, doing 1/8th of a turn gets you jambed under the jug, it's a mini nightmare getting it up enough to unscrew it with your fingers.

But hey, if there was any room to work on anything ever without having to tear half the bike apart, it wouldn't be a softail. 😜

received_1716242555210753.jpeg

·
weird member
2,260 Posts
Well, I guess I am committed now to keeping it and relocating the reservoir. Totally forgot about the oil filter itself, so what I planned for relocation won't work because it won't clear that either, and I can't just flip it to the front because of the voltage regulator, I'd have to get it WAY up there for the line to the master cylinder to clear the regulator.

I might have to make a clamp and stick it on the right side down-tube somewhere. Once I figure out where I can put it, I can figure out how to put it. Nobody makes a relocation kit for this thing either.

received_716385412257958.jpeg received_327733815258600.jpeg received_291812588738168.jpeg

·
old scoot coot
3,600 Posts
I am so glad I waited until after my dentist appointment to try this instead of going for it the other day, because I've hit a bit of a SNAFU while dry-fitting the stuff.

So, this exact Jagg oil cooler was listed as fitting my bike. In the instructions, for a big twin Evo or TC, the lines coming from the adapter should be at the bottom. The problem is, the top of the adapter will not clear between the engine and the rear brake fluid reservoir. It says on some Sportster models, the adapter may need to be fit upside-down. I tried going upside-down, but then the oil filter will not clear the stator plug.

This is the only orientation where I could get the adapter to fit, which barely gives any room to get the oil filter on, and it puts the oil lines right against the engine and the adapter presses pretty hard against the rear brake reservoir hose. It also means more bending of the oil lines because I can't mount the cooler any higher and the in/out nipples of the cooler are lower than the nipples of the adapter. Even then, it will be impossible to ever replace the oil lines without taking the entire adapter off. Also, it looks like installing the lines will be completely in the way of installing the oil filter. 🤬

Now I am debating as to whether or not I should just do it in this direction (which I am not too fond of or happy about), or if I should return it (what a pita) for a refund. I would really like it to be put on the right way, but it just can't/won't fit any other way other than the absolute worst way possible.

Thumbnails:
View attachment 786657 View attachment 786658
big ole cooler, will make your engine happier. looks pretty ok in photos.:cool:

·
old scoot coot
3,600 Posts
Well, they both mount to the same bracket on the frame, but not to each other (the reservoir and the regulator). There's fixed bolts on the bracket for the regulator, and notches on the top for the reservoir. Though, I did have to pull the regulator to reach the screws for the reservoir (no big deal).

Can't do anything until tomorrow but yeah, I'm going to make an offset bracket, and I need to get a longer piece of hose for the reservoir, and some small enough nuts/bolts to fit behind the regulator for the bracket. I found a scrap piece of metal that's strong enough. I'm going to move the reservoir up by about 1/4" and to the left by about 1" or so (haven't actually measured yet).

I did Google it and someone else on a different forum ran into the same issue as me (I dunno about all years, but it looks like only FX softails had this reservoir; FL softail models had a traditional master cylinder setup, dunno what dynas had, but I know the FXR also has a traditional master cylinder setup). They also made a bracket to relocate their reservoir, but they did it in a different way than what I am going to do. They moved theirs to in front of the down tubes, below the regulator with two pieces of metal held on by the regulator. I'm just going to have one piece that keeps it in the same general location, just up and to the left a little.

Will make it easier to get to that too for bleeding and servicing the rear brake. Already it's hard to get a small allen in there on the right side one between the tubes and the front jug, doing 1/8th of a turn gets you jambed under the jug, it's a mini nightmare getting it up enough to unscrew it with your fingers.

But hey, if there was any room to work on anything ever without having to tear half the bike apart, it wouldn't be a softail. 😜

View attachment 786666
as always on harley some dissasembly required. yea right.:eek:

·
Registered
731 Posts
Sunday the HOG chapter that I'm a member of did their annual bugeye ride (put a sticky target on the front of your bike and whoever gets a bug splat closest to the center of the target wins a prize. We rode up to Chicks on the River in Chester, IL, 288 miles round trip. 43 bikes made the trip, on the trip home, 3 of us stopped for ice cream at Kilwin's in St. Charles.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Sunday the HOG chapter that I'm a member of did their annual bugeye ride (put a sticky target on the front of your bike and whoever gets a bug splat closest to the center of the target wins a prize. We rode up to Chicks on the River in Chester, IL, 288 miles round trip. 43 bikes made the trip, on the trip home, 3 of us stopped for ice cream at Kilwin's in St. Charles.
Well? Did you find any bugs on your sticky note? Is super glue required to keep the note attached?

Reactions: slingshot383

·
old scoot coot
3,600 Posts
Hell im the same way with my truck

I’ve been know to pull right back in the garage if I see a smudge or something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
man what trucks have become. long way from dads 51 half ton split window. chevy. 6 volt on those frigid winter mornings when nothing would start that thing would grunt a couple of times and light right up. after pumping the throttle about 200 times and chocking the shite out of it. there was a little heater core with two little doors about the size of a cell phone. if yo wanted heat on both sides of the cab you opened em both. by the time we got to my school there was a little heat coming out. when it snowed or ice covered streets, dad would let me put my bicycle in the back and drop me off at school.i probably would have passed on the ride but he let me get the old beast started by myself and keep it running till it warmed up. i thought he was so cool to let me do that while he sat inside where it was warm. he really was a great dad, geez, all the stuff i put him through he deserved a small favor once in a while. i miss him every day. i am blown away how far trucks have come in my lifetime. price too the 51 probably cost dad 75 dollers used. i know he sold it a couple of years later for 50 and gave the guy a head set(valve grind set of gaskets and seals) and a set of rings. that old man did a valve job and installed rings and drove that truck to work every day for many years.

·
weird member
2,260 Posts
I hate that it's jury rigged, but I got it. Made the bracket, got creative with a hammer and a piece of wood to bend out the slot for the clamp. Looks stupid, but feels solid. My wife wasn't home for me to borrow her phone to get pics before I put it on.

Luckily, it's just a reservoir, so it doesn't have to be perfectly flat and level. I'll refill and bleed the brakes later and put new engine oil in. It's supposed to rain all day tomorrow, so it might be Thursday before i can fire it up. Fingers crossed no leaks when I do.

received_293350855321764.jpeg received_306928190497385.jpeg

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I hate that it's jury rigged, but I got it. Made the bracket, got creative with a hammer and a piece of wood to bend out the slot for the clamp. Looks stupid, but feels solid. My wife wasn't home for me to borrow her phone to get pics before I put it on.

Luckily, it's just a reservoir, so it doesn't have to be perfectly flat and level. I'll refill and bleed the brakes later and put new engine oil in. It's supposed to rain all day tomorrow, so it might be Thursday before i can fire it up. Fingers crossed no leaks when I do.

View attachment 786685 View attachment 786686
Good that you got it all to work together! Necessity is still the mother of invention. You can always add in the refinements latter.

·
Registered
36 Posts
man what trucks have become. long way from dads 51 half ton split window. chevy.
. You described every bit of that perfectly! I could hear the sound of my dad pumping the throttle on our ‘53 GMC while I was reading that. I can see the pull-out choke right next to the ignition key, the starter on the floor, the thin frost on the inside of the windows....Thanks for the nostalgia!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I don't remember the heaters in the 70s pickups being much better. Kansas Winters can be brutal!
'68 Bronco, 3 on the tree, Central Wyoming. I hear ya' about those heaters. One Halloween, my Bronco got egged! That nasy chit got down to the heater core. It took me through New Years, to save up to buy a new core.. All November and December without heat or defrost. Good thing that Wyoming Girls are warm. (y)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Started putting on some of those plasti-chrome bolt topper thingies on Daisy last night. I have those on my Sporty and it looks pretty good when done. Just a dab of silicone to keep them on and that's it. Cheap from eBay. Bet they gonna be fun to get off when I need to fix something, but I will worry about that when the time comes. Will post a pic when I finish the job.

·
old scoot coot
3,600 Posts
Started putting on some of those plasti-chrome bolt topper thingies on Daisy last night. I have those on my Sporty and it looks pretty good when done. Just a dab of silicone to keep them on and that's it. Cheap from eBay. Bet they gonna be fun to get off when I need to fix something, but I will worry about that when the time comes. Will post a pic when I finish the job.
i'd bet they will pull or pry right off. just easy on the silicone. yep you guys are really gettin snazzy. that's winter time stuff. summer is for getting them nasty dirty.:cool:

4961 - 4980 of 5173 Posts