Harley Davidson Forums banner

5381 - 5400 of 6560 Posts

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
maybe a little radiation, that's not bad. they did a spot on mine that sounded like yours. only got a little sore inside. they said to use suncreen. i don't think so hell im darker than most mexican and chicano guys now.
Yeah, but it was inside in the sinus. Didn't feel much until the novocain wore off. Just fine now. Hoping it all heals and the test comes back negative.

·
old scoot coot
4,093 Posts
Oh, darn. Story of my life right now:
View attachment 787993
ha! sorry bout that. i was talking to a friend of mine the other day. he is a sherrif's deputy and was going to replace is service weapon. he liked the kimber 1911 9mm. he said he couldn't find one anywhere. i guess that one went right over my head. wow. gun and ammo shortages like this baffle me. anyway if you are out of loads for the side arm itself pm me you adress. i can send you a box till ya can get some.(y)

·
old scoot coot
4,093 Posts
Yeah, but it was inside in the sinus. Didn't feel much until the novocain wore off. Just fine now. Hoping it all heals and the test comes back negative.
oh, i guess we weren't the same. mine was on the outside of my nose. they erradiated after bioply. the outside where the took the biopsy didn't get sore it all but kinda burnt a hole on the inside of my nostril. no biggie just a little sore and blead some. key is early detection so sounds like even if it's melanoma, when caught early it's like a hundred percent cureable. you are looking good rapier.

·
Registered
Crazy Cat Man
658 Posts
ha! sorry bout that. i was talking to a friend of mine the other day. he is a sherrif's deputy and was going to replace is service weapon. he liked the kimber 1911 9mm. he said he couldn't find one anywhere. i guess that one went right over my head. wow. gun and ammo shortages like this baffle me. anyway if you are out of loads for the side arm itself pm me you adress. i can send you a box till ya can get some.(y)
Over here in NC many gun shops are low on both ammo and guns. Suppliers have been shut down and people have been stocking up on what they can get a hold of. Hopefully that will level out soon enough. The election will have a major impact on that, I'm sure.

·
Registered
11,422 Posts
Been through these shortages numerous times during the Clinton and o'boy tenures. The current shortage seems to be the worst--probably at least in part due to all the first time gun buyers. But, given some time, this shortage will also cure itself. The lesson to be learned here is when things get back to near normal you better be buying!

If you store your ammo in an interior closet in the house to protect it from drastic temperature and humidity swings it will outlast you, your children and their children with no ill effects.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Been through these shortages numerous times during the Clinton and o'boy tenures. The current shortage seems to be the worst--probably at least in part due to all the first time gun buyers. But, given some time, this shortage will also cure itself. The lesson to be learned here is when things get back to near normal you better be buying!

If you store your ammo in an interior closet in the house to protect it from drastic temperature and humidity swings it will outlast you, your children and their children with no ill effects.
yep, And if you plan on storing it for extended time: Pick up a bottle of clear nail polish. Use a toothpick NOT THE BRUSH to apply a very thin line around the seam between the primer and the head-stamp, then another thin line around the circumference where the case and bullet meet. Let em dry thoroughly (over night) then box em back up. This will prevent any moisture from attacking the primer and the charge. Use the smallest amount of nail polish as possible! Putting it on thick will cause chambering issues and cause the pressure to rise considerably when discharged. A little goes a long, long way! DO NOT attempt to use any oils or the like on ammo either... It WILL kill the primer and possibly the charge as well. Don't oil it after applying the nail polish either, It can cause hydraulic lock when chambering and excessive pressures as well. In other words: Oil and ammo are NOT friends!

Just last summer i fired off a boatload of 45 acp that was head stamped 43.. It kicked like hell.. Probably Thompson ammo. I inherited from my Uncle who was an PMO CO during WW2. (He had some fun toys!) I ran that old ammo through a Llama. POS gun, but had fun testing things with it... Found out why springs come in sets on .45's... Mixing them is hazardous! I used a heavy (er) main spring with old tired trigger and hammer springs (ONCE) with 1 in the pipe, 2 in the mag, the 1st went on target the 2 nd. well above, the third went somewhere in orbit! all with one squeeze of the trigger.... Sure glad i didn't fill that mag! Some of us just have to learn the hard way! That "why not?" bug done bit me!

·
Registered
11,422 Posts
yep, And if you plan on storing it for extended time: Pick up a bottle of clear nail polish. Use a toothpick NOT THE BRUSH to apply a very thin line around the seam between the primer and the head-stamp, then another thin line around the circumference where the case and bullet meet. Let em dry thoroughly (over night) then box em back up. This will prevent any moisture from attacking the primer and the charge. Use the smallest amount of nail polish as possible! Putting it on thick will cause chambering issues and cause the pressure to rise considerably when discharged. A little goes a long, long way! DO NOT attempt to use any oils or the like on ammo either... It WILL kill the primer and possibly the charge as well. Don't oil it after applying the nail polish either, It can cause hydraulic lock when chambering and excessive pressures as well. In other words: Oil and ammo are NOT friends!

Just last summer i fired off a boatload of 45 acp that was head stamped 43.. It kicked like hell.. Probably Thompson ammo. I inherited from my Uncle who was an PMO CO during WW2. (He had some fun toys!) I ran that old ammo through a Llama. POS gun, but had fun testing things with it... Found out why springs come in sets on .45's... Mixing them is hazardous! I used a heavy (er) main spring with old tired trigger and hammer springs (ONCE) with 1 in the pipe, 2 in the mag, the 1st went on target the 2 nd. well above, the third went somewhere in orbit! all with one squeeze of the trigger.... Sure glad i didn't fill that mag! Some of us just have to learn the hard way! That "why not?" bug done bit me!
1/2 Ton, you are doing a LOT of work that really isn't necessary. Yeah, factory ammo comes with primer sealer, more times than not it is red in color and you can see it on the outer edge of the primer. And years ago (1973) when my cousin and I started reloading .38 and .357 rounds we kinda wondered if we needed any primer sealer. But...., never got around to getting the sealer then applying it. But for years now the only loads I carry in any of my revolvers (never got around to loading for any semi-auto rounds) are my reloads. Some revolver reloads I have were loaded many years ago. And although I like to occasionally change out the rounds in my revolvers there have been times I've simply forgotten to do that, and times when I have been caught in some rain, and some times when it was very cold outside then I come inside and a bit later I can look at the nice stainless S & W revolver I was carrying outside in the cold and it is on a nightstand dripping wet from the condensation as the gun warmed up to room temperature--naturally the rounds in the gun were the same way. BUT...., even without primer seal, and even with sometimes getting wet and even with carrying some of those rounds for a very long time in all kinds of conditions without changing them out for fresh rounds, every one of them has gone BANG when I wanted them to.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
1/2 Ton, you are doing a LOT of work that really isn't necessary. Yeah, factory ammo comes with primer sealer, more times than not it is red in color and you can see it on the outer edge of the primer. And years ago (1973) when my cousin and I started reloading .38 and .357 rounds we kinda wondered if we needed any primer sealer. But...., never got around to getting the sealer then applying it. But for years now the only loads I carry in any of my revolvers (never got around to loading for any semi-auto rounds) are my reloads. Some revolver reloads I have were loaded many years ago. And although I like to occasionally change out the rounds in my revolvers there have been times I've simply forgotten to do that, and times when I have been caught in some rain, and some times when it was very cold outside then I come inside and a bit later I can look at the nice stainless S & W revolver I was carrying outside in the cold and it is on a nightstand dripping wet from the condensation as the gun warmed up to room temperature--naturally the rounds in the gun were the same way. BUT...., even without primer seal, and even with sometimes getting wet and even with carrying some of those rounds for a very long time in all kinds of conditions without changing them out for fresh rounds, every one of them has gone BANG when I wanted them to.
I get what you are saying Joe, My first sentence was about extended storage.. not a year or two. The conversation began about:

I certainly hope that more than a year or two... Long term! And yes i do a lot of extra work on my reloads. I have spent literally weeks breaking down ammo that had gotten wet in a flood. It was 30-06 ball that was stored in a GI ammo can. But got caught a week underwater. The primers and powders both failed. So i unloaded each round and reused the brass and bullet with new powder and primers. Yes i took the time to paint the seals. This was 1500 rounds that were given to me by the guy that originality reloaded them.
EDIT: Was it worth it?... Not! Way too much effort went into that project. No i wouldn't attempt it again.. My time was worth more than the ammo. But i learned!
Edit #2: I forgot to mention: I received the ammo as 30-06, i trimmed the cases and re-necked it all to .308 for my M-1A. Then let everyone else shoot it all.. :unsure:

·
Registered
11,422 Posts
I get what you are saying Joe, My first sentence was about extended storage.. not a year or two. The conversation began about:

I certainly hope that more than a year or two... Long term! And yes i do a lot of extra work on my reloads. I have spent literally weeks breaking down ammo that had gotten wet in a flood. It was 30-06 ball that was stored in a GI ammo can. But got caught a week underwater. The primers and powders both failed. So i unloaded each round and reused the brass and bullet with new powder and primers. Yes i took the time to paint the seals. This was 1500 rounds that were given to me by the guy that originality reloaded them.
EDIT: Was it worth it?... Not! Way too much effort went into that project. No i wouldn't attempt it again.. My time was worth more than the ammo. But i learned!
Edit #2: I forgot to mention: I received the ammo as 30-06, i trimmed the cases and re-necked it all to .308 for my M-1A. Then let everyone else shoot it all.. :unsure:
Just speaking of ammo, in general. I guess in my many years of shooting I have touched off thousands, make that MANY thousands, of rounds--handguns, rifles, shotguns. Over those years, maybe on 2 or 3 occasions I have had a pistol cartridge (never a rifle cartridge or shotshell) that failed to fire, I examined the cartridge and the primer had what seemed to be an adequate strike so I rechambered the round, tried it again and it fired. And also during those many years and many thousands of rounds I have had, maybe 3 or 4, pistol rounds that failed to fire even after rechambering them and trying to fire them again. I can only assume the primer was defective and I just trashed them. And gun and ammo manufacturers usually warn you in their literature to watch out for "hang fires". I have never experienced a hang fire. And the said "Duds" that I experienced a couple of times with pistol rounds were all factory loads. Never ever had a dud with any of my reloads.

Now my cousin and I did have, early on in our reloading, a few rounds that only made a little "pop" and the projectile stuck in the revolver forcing cone. Seems we may have missed charging a few cases with powder LOL. We reviewed our quality control procedures and cut back on the amount of beer consumed during a reloading session and never had that problem again.

All things considered, modern ammo is damn reliable.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Just speaking of ammo, in general. I guess in my many years of shooting I have touched off thousands, make that MANY thousands, of rounds--handguns, rifles, shotguns. Over those years, maybe on 2 or 3 occasions I have had a pistol cartridge (never a rifle cartridge or shotshell) that failed to fire, I examined the cartridge and the primer had what seemed to be an adequate strike so I rechambered the round, tried it again and it fired. And also during those many years and many thousands of rounds I have had, maybe 3 or 4, pistol rounds that failed to fire even after rechambering them and trying to fire them again. I can only assume the primer was defective and I just trashed them. And gun and ammo manufacturers usually warn you in their literature to watch out for "hang fires". I have never experienced a hang fire. And the said "Duds" that I experienced a couple of times with pistol rounds were all factory loads. Never ever had a dud with any of my reloads.

Now my cousin and I did have, early on in our reloading, a few rounds that only made a little "pop" and the projectile stuck in the revolver forcing cone. Seems we may have missed charging a few cases with powder LOL. We reviewed our quality control procedures and cut back on the amount of beer consumed during a reloading session and never had that problem again.

That is exactly what started that whole 30-06 to .308 game in the first place. A friend gave me the 06 ammo saying that it had been drowned. We started at the range not knowing which would fire or not. You understand the dangers of pressing out non-fired primers! So we loaded up a bunch of clips for the M-1's and started working through it. 1 click then 4 click, 5 bang, and so on.. So many duds that you get thinking "it won't fire" as it bust you in the nose! I tired of that game quickly! Put the rifle on a bench block w/ sandbags and just pulled the trigger..Eff the marksmanship practice..(Advantages of a Private Range) We had about 60 rounds fire of, the 1500. I did not attempt to re-chamber that many duds. Then while de-priming, I found about 20 or 30 Berdan primed mixed in the lot. (Ran the local gun store out of RCBS de-priming pins!) Switched to the Lee's that are a lot more forgiving! The berdain primed rounds couldn't be identified by the headstamp. All of the powders that got wet were packed in near solid. I used a dull drill to cut out the majority of the powder clog. fallowed by a water soak and rinse. then wet tumbled the brass.

I was experimenting with squib loads for my .38. Got them so slow i could watch them fly to the target. Then one popped with a muffled sound. The bullet stopped just under half way out of the muzzle. (Glad i wasn't rapid firing!) Driving that bullet back down through the forcing cone was an experience in its self. I decided that squibs are stupid and dangerous! With Shotguns, i had one where the firing pin spring got weak. (A Feather-Lite pump) That gun would fail to fire, repetitively. This started just about the time i started reloading Shot.. So it took a minute to figure out the problem was not with the ammo.. Hang fire is just a way of life with Muzzle loaders! Those are my true love! It takes a LOT more skill to hit the black with them! Every shot has its own set of questions.

Reactions: Louisville Joe

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
No problem, Tommy. I have about 250 rounds, I just want to go to the range and shoot some up. But, I need to be able to replace my stash. An outfit that makes the 9x18 is in Lewiston, just an little over an hour south. Just gotta get to the stores when they have it.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts

I had a bunch of Chinese made 9x18 a while back. The cases were sloppy, not nice and neat, and a few misfired. Was okay for out on the range. But nothing to depend on. Then there was the Czech ammo, and that was good stuff. Then the Hornady. But, now we have just a couple outfits making it.

Also, put in for a drawing for a Mossberg 30-30. At a couple of the stores I was going through, NO 30-30 ammo. '06, 7.62, stuff like that. Nothing for a good saddle gun.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Went on the American Legion Riders 9/11 Memorial ride today. Would have been beautiful, if it wasn't for the smoke. Visibility was limited, but we had a good ride. 220 miles. Somewhere around 250 bikes. We stretched out for about three miles on the highway. Pretty cool.

I don't usually like to go on big rides like that, but this was well planned and well managed. So, I might do it again next year.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I wanted to get out for a ride today but, all of the "Forrest are closed to all public", due to the fires. I did manage to pull off a quick ride to a friends place in Fallbrook this morning. I set the gmaps to avoid highways.. It lead though some fun twisties! That was a great "get the cobwebs out of the head ride!" 84 mile round trip.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts

1/2 ton I think I know the real you
Bert from Tremors :ROFLMAO: (y)

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Yesterday we met up with friends for a bite to eat and a couple of beers our weather was fantastic so said to the wife we'll go by trike so glad we did , after spending time at the Bubble Inn we then followed our friends to their home where we stayed until 8pm journey home was a tad chilly but totally enjoyed it.
Haven't really been out in darkness for a long ride so this ride with the daymaker lights and riding down country roads using main beam really showed up the road and into the distance so much better than a solo light .
Took this photo of the Mrs whilst we were waiting for our friends to arrive

5381 - 5400 of 6560 Posts