Harley Davidson Forums banner

5661 - 5680 of 5730 Posts

·
weird member
2,332 Posts
Stuff for the clutch won't be in until Monday at the earliest, bummer.

But I did do something. I had a lot of built up soot on the endcap of my tail pipe from having not plugged the AFR sniffer hole for nearly a year, so I took one of those Mr. Clean magic erasers and cleaned it up very well, no scratches or swirling as best I can tell. Those magic erasers are just really fine pumice if I remember right, that's all they are.

I should have taken a before pic, maybe I have a pic on my phone that gets the end of the pipe... I'll add it if I do.

EDIT:
No before pic, but basically the whole endcap looked like the little cut outs in it, which I decided to not clean because I like the contrast and it would've been too much a pita to clean.

IMG_20201015_202503423.jpg IMG_20201015_202442523.jpg

·
Registered
195 Posts
Stuff for the clutch won't be in until Monday at the earliest, bummer.

But I did do something. I had a lot of built up soot on the endcap of my tail pipe from having not plugged the AFR sniffer hole for nearly a year, so I took one of those Mr. Clean magic erasers and cleaned it up very well, no scratches or swirling as best I can tell. Those magic erasers are just really fine pumice if I remember right, that's all they are.

I should have taken a before pic, maybe I have a pic on my phone that gets the end of the pipe... I'll add it if I do.

View attachment 788867 View attachment 788868
I clean the inside tips on my slip ons also. All in the details.

·
Registered
39,760 Posts
I wonder how those magic erasers would work on ceramic coated pipes.

·
weird member
2,332 Posts
I wonder how those magic erasers would work on ceramic coated pipes.
Not sure. I wonder how ceramic does with polishing compound and being polished though, that might give you an idea?

And apparently I was wrong, its not pumice but melamine foam...
Melamine foam is a foam-like material consisting of a formaldehyde-melamine-sodium bisulfite copolymer. The foam is manufactured by several manufacturers worldwide, most notably by BASF of Germany under the name Basotect.

In the early 21st century it was discovered that melamine foam is an effective abrasive cleaner.[2] The open-cell foam is microporous and its polymeric substance is very hard, so that when used for cleaning it works like extremely fine sandpaper, getting into tiny grooves and pits in the object being cleaned. On a larger scale the material feels soft because the reticulated foam bubbles interconnect. Its structure is a 3D network of very hard strands, when compared to the array of separate bubbles in a material such as styrofoam.

Rubbing with a slightly moistened foam may remove otherwise "uncleanable" external markings from surfaces. For example, melamine foam can remove crayon, marker pen, and grease from painted walls and wood finishings, plastic-adhering paints from treated wooden tables, and adhesive residue and grime from hubcaps.[4] If the surface being cleaned is not sufficiently hard, it may be finely scratched by the melamine material. The foam wears away, rather like a pencil eraser, leaving behind a slight residue which can be rinsed off.

·
V-Twin Junkie
365 Posts
I sold the Rinehart FastTracks because they didn't allow passenger pegs. Had the heat shields and the V&H slip-ons ceramic coated. But, going forward to a 1200 conversion, I wanted a better exhaust and liked the look of the Cobras. They seem to perform well enough, and sound great from what I hear (LoL).

·
Registered
39,760 Posts
Whelp, just got the good news/bad news from my dealer. Starter is ok, need new clutch basket, jack shaft etc.... ~$1.4k to get it fixed.

Looking for an upgraded clutch basket, since I have to replace it anyway.

·
Registered
39,760 Posts
Decided to go with an AIM clutch basket. Billet, made in USA. On par with OEM basket on price.

·
Registered
39,760 Posts
Is that one more expensive?
What yr is yr Bike Brian ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
$5 cheaper, a whopping 1%! :D Mine is an 05. Had it been 07 or newer, I would have had all kinds of choices.... Trask, Barnett etc....

07 up are stronger too.

·
weird member
2,332 Posts
Whelp, just got the good news/bad news from my dealer. Starter is ok, need new clutch basket, jack shaft etc.... ~$1.4k to get it fixed.

Looking for an upgraded clutch basket, since I have to replace it anyway.
Apparently I ride very hard that 1 hour a day. :dunno
It's really hard not to use the power when you've got it.

·
weird member
2,332 Posts
The Pro Pipe install went with drama, 1 O2 sensor took a dump, V&H pipes require their gaskets, pipe and floorboard bracket were fighting for the same space. pull pipe back off, install a pair of new O2 sensors, and V&H gaskets, and massage (grind the hell out of) the floorboard bracket, and all is well except now bike needs to go on a dyno, low end isn't happy, and the reversion is making a lot of noise coming out of the intake. Once on the cam 3200+ rpm with fairly heavy throttle, bike is real happy and pulling hard and sounding great. Light sleepers in the neighborhood might not be happy when I leave for work at 04:20. Oh, did I mention that I live at the bottom of a long steep hill?
Did you get the retune yet? Curious to know how things are going with the new pipes once you do. That Pro Pipe is great on my Evo with the work I've had done.

·
Try'n to behave
6,007 Posts
Rode down to the Supervisor of Election's office to hand drop off my "mail in ballot". No way I would trust it to the USPS, but I might not be in town on 3 Nov so I had to get it done.

Anyone care to venture a guess on who got the vote? :unsure:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Started the day installing an XM module, then ruining the connector of a long-length SiriusXM antenna I picked up for $7 on Prime day. My intention was to hide the radio whip antenna along the frame/under the seat(which I did), and place the XM antenna where the whip once was, on the new hole cover. Seems H-D has their own, special connector for the XM antenna, so I needed to remove the outer connector cover of the long-length cable. Didn’t have a cut-off wheel for the Dremmel, so I decided to file it off. Ended up fouling up the entire connector. Used the H-D antenna, and mounted it as shown. Didn’t want to mount it inside the fairing, or next to the vent/under the pouches due to poor reception.

Also added some highway pegs -

Went off for an 80 mile ride, enjoying a clear, cool, Fall day, listening to Lithium, Classic Vinyl, and Ozzy’s Boneyard, all with my feet propped up. Hope everyone has a great weekend!

5661 - 5680 of 5730 Posts