Harley Davidson Forums banner

5681 - 5700 of 5730 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Whelp, just got the good news/bad news from my dealer. Starter is ok, need new clutch basket, jack shaft etc.... ~$1.4k to get it fixed.

Looking for an upgraded clutch basket, since I have to replace it anyway.
Ouch!

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I started out the day painting trim (yep still plugging along on that flood repair / unplanned remodel). Then Eric stopped by with his supplies for an oil change on his SG. (Kainams recipe). So we moved my bikes out of the garage and brought his in. It is much more pleasurable to work on bikes vs. house paint! The sad part is: Now i gotta do more painting tomorrow... Damn tired of this project. It's getting closer do done anyways.

·
Noel
8,862 Posts
Rode the SGS down to Plymouth, then to the Cape Cod Canal, then west bound along the shore towns on route 6 to home, about 118 miles, temps from afternoon high of 72 to low of 49, leather gear on made it comfortable.

·
weird member
2,332 Posts
Well, both the clutch hub tool and the extra plate/disk came in today. I didn't feel like doing the massive amount of grinding I would need to for the tool to work, so I just made a lock plate with the extra disk and plate. I only had aluminum rivets, so I wasn't sure if it would hold, but it did. Got the thing installed, finally.

Adjusted the clutch, and the pull feels a little bit lighter than the 20% heavier spring, I think, just by feel of it when adjusting (they have 3 spring levels: light, medium and drag... I got the medium that's supposed to hold to 120 HP). Won't really be able to tell until tomorrow or Wednesday though when I finally get back to riding.

IMG_20201019_162750684.jpg IMG_20201019_171712347.jpg IMG_20201019_171747971.jpg received_774721399772911.jpeg

·
old scoot coot
3,737 Posts
rainy cold day today and tomorrow. had chores this morning. went to shop this afternoon to start one of the winter chores i had on hold for flash. i needed to tighten up the steering neck anyway so i installed a grease zerk in the neck. tomorrow i will use a nylon rope to make a seal in the bottom of neck so i can fill cavity with grease until it oozes out the top. then tighten up neck end load. no one lubes brgs any more no zerks in neck starting with rushmore bikes. both of mine will get a squirt or two of grease bi annually now with the bottom sealed with rope packing till it oozes out the top. :)
051.jpg
057.jpg
049.jpg

·
Registered
39,759 Posts
Mine don't have zerk fittings. To grease them, I have to take them off and fill them with grease, then reinstall.

The drawing shows where they would go if they had them.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Mine don't have zerk fittings. To grease them, I have to take them off and fill them with grease, then reinstall.

The drawing shows where they would go if they had them.
Shift rods? Use Gun lube with Teflon, about once every riding season... Works great. Plus it reminds me to check for wobbles in the linkage. just my 2 cents.

Reactions: JTJ

·
old scoot coot
3,737 Posts
Hmm, I might have a project next time I go over your place Tommy.

ahhh! we can do that and put one in your steering neck as well, if not already there, to fill the cavity or on yours with easy access we could put in two, right over the timkens so filling cavity wouldn't be necessary. i know how clean you clean you keep the train we wouldn't want grease dropping on fender while pressure equalizes. nothing is too good for my hermano's. especially when they know where the best burnt ends and baked beans in the universe are!

·
weird member
2,332 Posts
I wonder why they quit sealing the necks and using Zerk fittings? Seems like it wouldn't be that big of a deal and it would make service easier. I know on some, they run electricals through the backbone of the frame, but others don't, they have a channel above the backbone to run the electricals.

Anyway, test rode today and that clutch pull is SUPER light. It's the medium spring meant for street performance, but I think I might swap it later with the heavier drag spring. I'm not sure. It seems to hold but I couldn't really get out anywhere to test for any slip (too much traffic moving too slow), but it shouldn't considering the grip area, and I have the spring properly compressed to within .010" – .020" per the instructions. It did seem to grip better once it warmed up.

It's not so much that the pull is easy, it's almost too easy, almost feels like an e-z pull setup, I would like it a little heavier though perfect would be in-between stock and what I was previously using. The one thing I don't like about it, is it doesn't bite... it's an extremely smooth engagement. Which I guess is what most people like, but I want to feel it bite. But otherwise, there is 0 drag, though I also switched from the Spectro heavy duty primary (traditional oil) to Red Line synthetic, which in my previous experience on the other clutch was that the Spectro induced the slightest drag... it wouldn't pull away or anything, but if you had the clutch fully disengaged and in gear and pushed back with one foot, it would roll backwards without a fuss, but if you put just enough pressure to where it's about to start rolling back, then popped it in neutral, it would roll back (so the drag was only noticeable if you were really looking hard for it).

Maybe it just needs to break in a little and I need to get used to it. It does grip a little further out too, I'm used to the old one almost fully gripping right at the mid point of the clutch pull, and now it's getting the full grip at 3/4 out on the pull, which I guess is where they're supposed to be gripping.

·
old scoot coot
3,737 Posts
another cold and heavy overcast, almost fog, day today. supposed to be warmer tomorrow with rain maybe. thursday is looking pretty dry with high of 80 degrees. that's a ride day for sure. i went out to shop this afternoon to finish up steering neck on flash. filled the cavity with grease till it oozed out the top of neck. used 1/4 inch nylon rope for packing at bottom. snugged up the end load on the timkens just the way i like em. now it's just sitting there saying "please take me out for a shake down run tomorrow". i'm pretty sure flash can blow the doors off fury in the twisties and sweepers now! :)
007.jpg
013.jpg
015.jpg
017.jpg

·
Registered
397 Posts
Rode the Sportster to work today as out doesn't get all the love it used to. It made that clunking sound when starting hot at the gas station. Someone said Sportsters do not have a compensator so I wonder what it is then?

Reactions: tommytailspin

·
Registered
49 Posts
Cleaning day today, first my F250 and then Lucy got a good cleaning. It took as long to clean the RK as it did the truck.

Product recommendation: Novus plastic cleaner. This stuff is great for windshields and other plastic surfaces. Helps with bug removal on your windshield. Available on Amazon.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
weird member
2,332 Posts
Out riding again today, got on the highway and out at my preferred watering hole.

Still trying to get used to this clutch. Main problem is taking off, trying to find how to get it. Grip range is long, 1/8 out it starts to grip but the engagement range is long before it's fully engaged and smooth, I end up over-revving and slipping it a little on occasion, especially take off from a hill. I just need to get accustomed to it is all. Otherwise, doesn't seem to be slipping or dragging. Need to get the balance right between engagement and throttle. In traffic I'm getting better with it. Just not used to how smooth it is, might switch back to the Spectro I was using before in the primary. It also came with two srts of washers for adjusting the spring with the retention nuts (one to flatten the spring more and one to give it more curve), might use one set to flatten the spring a little more, closer to .010", that might help.

Though, the light pull is nice waiting at lights. It still catches me off guard when I go to pull it for shifting. Then again, this is only my second ride with it.

5681 - 5700 of 5730 Posts