Harley Davidson Forums banner

6121 - 6140 of 6526 Posts

·
Registered
Crazy Cat Man
650 Posts
Had an incident, back in the day when working at McDonnell Douglass. Some genius put Argon bottles in the Nitrogen service cart... When i pre-opped the cart, to service the Nitrogen accumulators on a DC-9, I found the Argon bottles, they were nearly empty....Had some engineers scratching their heads over that one. Found out that Argon is a very heavy gas. We ended up purging the whole line of DC-9's and re servicing with Nitrogen (tires too!) because there was no way to know what that cart had been used on. Then we had the Argon moved to the weld shop. I never did understand why the powers that be, changed the markings on the bottles so they all look alike back in the 1990's. Before that they had different colored bands, now all inert gasses have the same grey bottle? If that tag gets lost, who knows what's in there?
You know that some genius in government came up with that idea. Why do it the easy and SAFER way?

·
Registered
Crazy Cat Man
650 Posts
Today I just kissed the bikes as I left for work. Was 73 yesterday but windy hard with severe weather threat mainly for east of here. Today 40 so far and might hit 45. I've been having bad shoulder pain and the cold exacerbates the issue even more, so no riding today. This has been a crappy year over all.

·
Registered
Crazy Cat Man
650 Posts
Next plan: Graft on a built up wide glide front end ...

And a shorter rear fender ...
When it becomes possible, a Wide Glide will be my next Harley-Davidson. I love the look and raked out front end.

·
Registered
Crazy Cat Man
650 Posts
Ordered a Grasshopper backrest for Daisy this morning. They are having a sale and with shipping and all it was $77. I was going to make one and use the pad I still have from the '19 Iron sissy bar, but I remember how it went the last 2 times I made brackets for bikes and decided to save my sanity this time and just order the thing instead. I don't have much mind left to lose so I went the easy route. I got a $100 bonus on my credit card for a friend referral, the ex-wife of all people, so that covered it. Plus the pad is better and has a pocket on it. I have heard good things about them and am giving them a shot.

·
Registered
11,393 Posts
Ordered a Grasshopper backrest for Daisy this morning. They are having a sale and with shipping and all it was $77. I was going to make one and use the pad I still have from the '19 Iron sissy bar, but I remember how it went the last 2 times I made brackets for bikes and decided to save my sanity this time and just order the thing instead. I don't have much mind left to lose so I went the easy route. I got a $100 bonus on my credit card for a friend referral, the ex-wife of all people, so that covered it. Plus the pad is better and has a pocket on it. I have heard good things about them and am giving them a shot.
I've been very pleased with my Grasshopper back rest since I got the problem fixed. The "problem" was that the backrest angle was way too much. My back only made contact with the very bottom of the backrest and the rest of it was leaning way back. My neighbor called them to order a backrest cause the listing wasn't entirely clear for his RK with a HD Tallboy seat. They told him to mount the bracket backwards for his bike. So...., I also have a HD Tallboy seat on my '16 RGU and I had put the mounting bracket on like it showed in the instruction sheet. I took the bracket off, turned it around and re-mounted it and, PERFECT! The whole backrest is now available for my back and it doesn't lean away like it did. Also, I didn't buy my backrest from Grasshopper--I ordered it through Amazon because I didn't know how happy I may or may not have been and I know if I want to return something to Amazon they are very easy to get along with and I didn't know how Grasshopper would be regarding returning something. All is now good !!!

·
weird member
2,528 Posts
Well, I tried another windshield experiment today, I didn't think it would help, but had to try.

This time, took the bar bag off before sticking the 15" shield on. No change. Trying to feel the turbulence, and I can't really tell if it's coming directly over the top, or around the sides from the top. I thought maybe it could catch some wind underneath and that might help but, the buffeting isn't from wind trying to fill the negative air pressure behind it, it's definitely the air dropping back in from over the top. I'd draw a diagram of what I think is going on, but I'm too lazy for that.

The next experiment is to add a spoiler. I got one of those $30 Amazon knockoffs on my Christmas wishlist that I can use just to see if it would work before dropping $120 on the Puig or MRA X-creen spoiler. I'm really hopeful the spoiler will solve the buffeting. If it does, having a windshield will help tremendously this summer when I attempt the Iron Butt SS1000.

Reactions: 1/2 Ton

·
Registered
2006 Electra Glide Ultra Classic - Houston, Texas
78 Posts
I chased a baffling issue, tried lower, tried higher, tried different angles. All of this was wearing a 3/4 helmet. Weather turned colder and changed to full face, the baffling almost totally went away with the full face helmet. Guess the wind was catching the lower face shield just right and caused my baffling. Might be worth a try if you have a different hemet, 1/2 to 3/4, 3/4 to full, as an experiment.

·
Registered
Crazy Cat Man
650 Posts
Many buffeting issues come from air coming up from below by the forks and going over the front of the gas tank. I have small lowers mounted to the forks on my VTX and that helps a bit as well. The Softail doesn't seem to be as bad so I don't have any on that bike, and it has a standard windshield that I can just see over.

·
Registered
Crazy Cat Man
650 Posts
Here is a video you may be interested in. This guy has many good videos on riding.

Reactions: WacoKid and 1/2 Ton

·
Registered
808 Posts
took a 85 mile ride today and about 65 miles in, the bike started vibrating abnormally like it did in October. A dealership in Buford GA changed my front motor mount and the compensator and it got a lot better. Now it's back. So I get home and decide to check torque on all the mounts and first thing I notice is the right side forward mount center bolt and the ring inside the mount is all the way at the back of the hole. It is supposed to be centered. Don't know if this is causing my vibrations but it sure isn't right. Used ESP to fix it in Buford so I am going to take it back to my dealership here and have them figure it out.
IMG_0407.jpg

·
Registered
246 Posts
I improvised this chisel ...I did have to grind the sides and thikness a little because the bars locked with ignition out 😔.looking on UTube
To get it back aligned I took IGN apart and thought about buying the tool off Amazon then

Came up with using this it worked like a charm back working.

·
weird member
2,528 Posts
Wet today but high of 68, nice riding out today. It's cool enough that, without a lot of layers, the rainsuit isn't too hot. Went out during a break in the rain, still heavily overcast. Traffic isn't too bad despite it being Friday, which is great.

6121 - 6140 of 6526 Posts