Harley Davidson Forums banner

6441 - 6460 of 6589 Posts

·
Former Lurker
3,145 Posts
Had a good holiday break. got some HD gift cards for Christmas. bought some extended hwy peg mounts and some Kahuna pegs for it. Like them a lot. I also bought some plastic, snap-in wind deflectors. It kind of makes a tunnel around the neck/underside of the fairing. I think it is deflecting a lot of wind and reducing buffeting by sending that wind up and over instead of in my face. For $44.00 I am telling myself I DO feel a difference. Will try to get some pics posted.
Did a fair bit of riding over the break. Right at 10k and probably ready for a new rear tire. Been looking at some of the tire threads on here. Anyone have any last minute updates/comments (Am Elite/Comm3/Metz/Scorchers??) (19 RGS)

·
Registered
11,426 Posts
Had a good holiday break. got some HD gift cards for Christmas. bought some extended hwy peg mounts and some Kahuna pegs for it. Like them a lot. I also bought some plastic, snap-in wind deflectors. It kind of makes a tunnel around the neck/underside of the fairing. I think it is deflecting a lot of wind and reducing buffeting by sending that wind up and over instead of in my face. For $44.00 I am telling myself I DO feel a difference. Will try to get some pics posted.
Did a fair bit of riding over the break. Right at 10k and probably ready for a new rear tire. Been looking at some of the tire threads on here. Anyone have any last minute updates/comments (Am Elite/Comm3/Metz/Scorchers??) (19 RGS)
I'm collecting a good stack of HD gift cards from points on my HD Visa card. But...., I go out of my way to NOT spend any money I don't have to at either of the two HD dealers here in Louisville. Yeah, lie to me, jerk me around, do some shoddy work and you won't see me unless I need something I can't get elsewhere. Some of the HD dealers that discount some on the Internet will accept the Gift cards so, eventually, they will get spent but probably not here in Louisville.

As for tires, my vote is the Dunlop AE's. You will definitely get more mileage out of them over the stock Dunlops and I can't tell one from the other as far as riding.

·
weird member
2,544 Posts
Well, there's mixed reviews on the Michelin Commander III's and the Dunlop Elite 3 and 4 tires, but the Michelin Commander IIs and Dunlop American Elites are both well liked and proven. If you don't like one, you'll probably like the other.

I'd say if you do more aggressive riding and around town, go with the Dunlop AE's, and if you do more highway cruising and mile racking, go with the Michelin Commander IIs. I have no personal experience with the Commander II, but that seems to be what I have read pretty consistently about the two (AE vs Commander II). I run the AE's myself and I like them for my riding style. I find they corner much better than the stock 402/404 Dunlops and have far superior wet weather performance over the stock.

·
Registered
40,494 Posts
Well, there's mixed reviews on the Michelin Commander III's and the Dunlop Elite 3 and 4 tires, but the Michelin Commander IIs and Dunlop American Elites are both well liked and proven. If you don't like one, you'll probably like the other.
Im not a fan of the Commanders, atleast on the 21" front. Rear tire is OK, but I get severe cupping on the front.

·
weird member
2,544 Posts
Aside from my normal piddling around, I think I might finally have gotten the windshield, spoiler/extension and lowers all adjusted just right. We'll see tomorrow if I can wake up early enough that I have the time to go down the highway. But at least up to 55 mph, seems better. Seems like you add one little piece to solve the problem and the problem moves elsewhere and everything has to be readjusted again. Wind is more stubborn than my wife's English bulldog. Fingers crossed I finally found the sweet spot and can quit messing with the windshield stuff and take it all off until this summer. Though I gotta say, I didn't realize just how much I unconsciously used wind pressure to gauge my speed (as opposed to other gauges like engine noise).

It still hasn't dieseled on me again when I shut it off. I'm starting to think maybe it being relatively colder the two times it did so was a factor.

·
old scoot coot
4,108 Posts
i took the mrs. to tulsa today. a little chilly 47 degrees going down and 57 coming back up. 181 miles. we went down 75hwy and back on 169 with some e and w joggs on 244 in tulsa at 75mph. i love t town, you can really get around fast down there. we ate at arnold's old fashioned hamburgers. a double with grilled onions and a large chocolate shake, yum. i usually do strawberry but thought i'd change it up a bit for first ride of 2021. it was a severe clear day and lots of sunshine with a brisk south wind, just a little chilly for wife. her jacket was too light, she did ok though. mickey came buy today. he got over shoulder surgery. then his 42 year old son died of a heart attack just got ready to ride again and fell off a ladder and sprained his clutch wrist. he'll be back in the saddle soon. that was good to hear. tony didn't go today. his wife bowed out and he stayed homej. another at least a week of rain off and on and low temps 30s and 40s' this may be a poor winter for ridding. we will see. have fun and be happy. hasta.

·
old scoot coot
4,108 Posts
Aside from my normal piddling around, I think I might finally have gotten the windshield, spoiler/extension and lowers all adjusted just right. We'll see tomorrow if I can wake up early enough that I have the time to go down the highway. But at least up to 55 mph, seems better. Seems like you add one little piece to solve the problem and the problem moves elsewhere and everything has to be readjusted again. Wind is more stubborn than my wife's English bulldog. Fingers crossed I finally found the sweet spot and can quit messing with the windshield stuff and take it all off until this summer. Though I gotta say, I didn't realize just how much I unconsciously used wind pressure to gauge my speed (as opposed to other gauges like engine noise).

It still hasn't dieseled on me again when I shut it off. I'm starting to think maybe it being relatively colder the two times it did so was a factor.
for shure the colder more dense air will make it run leaner. mine runs fine on the warm wx tune but will get 11/2 more miles to the gallon in winter. today it was 39.5 mpg. would be 38 in warm wx. moderate speeds today, wife on board.

·
Former Lurker
3,145 Posts
Can you post pictures of the wind deflector?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good day, Here is the info and pics for the deflectors I installed.

I think they help out. You can see in the pics that they snap in and deflect from the side and form a tunnel around the steering head portion of the frame and routes the air up and over instead of in your face.
Though 45 bucks is a lot for 2 pieces of plastic that probably cost HD 45 cents including the boat ride from China.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I ordered a new Battery tender as my existing one stopped working , only found that out last weekend when I went to start up the trike .
Put it on proper battery charger for over night to fully charge again I ordered the new battery tender on Sunday collected it from the store on way home tonight .
Connected onto battery lights on tender state it is charging (y) next light will say fully charged . aint no way i will be getting any ride out with the temps and on the roads that they do grit wont do the trike any good

·
Registered
260 Posts
There is some mods that needs to be done like you tube 95-HDIF video shows if you don't care about the gaps along both sides of
Inner & outer faring (I do) . I am going to drill holes in this faring so I mount the wind deflectors ,alarm light, my tweeters I'm going to mount in the grills . I'm going to test fit it back on the bike to see exactly what needs to be done to make it a better fit then

Take it back off to paint it. Still I think it's worth it to put a 2 din radio on.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I have no experience with the Commander 3's, I went from the stock Dunlop to Am Elite. They are doing great in the twisties! (My favorite form of riding). The front does "talk back" when in the turns (kind-of sounds like a front bearing) it's a little un-nerving when i first noticed and sometimes when the sounds all run "just right" in the lean. But now knowing its just the front tire sayin' "WEEEE" all is good. 😄 I'm probably jinxing myself here: But i haven't ridden in wet with them yet. But they sure corner fine!

·
Registered
Crazy Cat Man
675 Posts
I need to start looking for a rear tire on Daisy Deluxe. Not near the minimum yet but I like to have parts on hand instead of having to wait when the time comes. Keeping white walls on her since I think it adds to the 'cool' factor. I used to laugh at white walls but on this bike they just have to be there. The toque is up a tad more now with tweaking the tune a bit more. Thought the clutch was slipping a bit when I left the gas station but it was the tire spinning lol. Ooooops! Didn't even try to do that 😎

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I need to start looking for a rear tire on Daisy Deluxe. Not near the minimum yet but I like to have parts on hand instead of having to wait when the time comes. Keeping white walls on her since I think it adds to the 'cool' factor. I used to laugh at white walls but on this bike they just have to be there. The toque is up a tad more now with tweaking the tune a bit more. Thought the clutch was slipping a bit when I left the gas station but it was the tire spinning lol. Ooooops! Didn't even try to do that 😎
Never did like white wall tires except for on the Deluxe. The one bike that truly deserves w/w's! (y) (of the newer bikes anyways) The w/w tires look great on the early bikes!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Also here are some pics of the highway pegs I bought with my Xmas gift cards. View attachment 791181
I got those swept back extensions gifted to me a while back. I haven't installed them because my highway pegs look terrible with them. Seeing your pic, gives me inspiration to go peg shopping! See there ya go! Spending my $$ again!
This forum is getting more expensive! 😄

·
Noel
9,591 Posts
I got those swept back extensions gifted to me a while back. I haven't installed them because my highway pegs look terrible with them. Seeing your pic, gives me inspiration to go peg shopping! See there ya go! Spending my $$ again!
This forum is getting more expensive! 😄
I like JTJ's setup, highway pegs are my top shopping list item, planning to put a lot of miles on in 2021, they would make a world of improvement for me.

6441 - 6460 of 6589 Posts