Harley Davidson Forums banner

6861 - 6880 of 6927 Posts

·
Noel
9,797 Posts
Is getting the larger SE TB worth it. I didn't think the larger TB was needed unless you really upsized the engine or ported the heads to really need the increased airflow.
Increasing engine displacement (more CI's) would benefit from an increase TB size assuming the stock design is at the upper capacity limits for the stock displacement CI's

·
Former Lurker
3,269 Posts
That is what I was thinking, but wanted some opinions... Other than the parts guy trying to sell me one...

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
On the M8 oil pump. The pump pumps oil to the engine just fine. The scavenge side doesn't always keep up up with the oil being pumped in and the sump overfills.

·
Registered
40,724 Posts
The S&S oil pump has separate georotors for the cam chest and the crank case.

Keeps it from cavitating when one is emptied but not the other.

Reactions: tommytailspin

·
old scoot coot
4,253 Posts
Not sure I know what you mean by looking. ( I know what you mean by looking, just not FOR what.) I have heard that the stock oil pump is not "Up to the task" of pushing enough oil and I have heard that "That was a twin cam problem and the M8 Oil pump is fine." I guess that is really the question. Or do you mean the stock ones fail and need to be checked? Any thoughts on the throttle body? Just worried about spending a ton of money when it really would be in my best interests to just spend a little more...
the m8 pre 2020 pumps are not fine. the new pump has 40 percent more scavange volume on the scavange side and 20 percent more pressure volume on the pressure side. the easiest way to tell the difference is to count the teeth on the gearotors. eight on the new pump ten on the old one. if no one has ever been into the camchest on yours and it's pre 2020 then you have the old pump. of course the old pumps(first two desighns are just not adequate on the scavange side. the pump kit number 62400248 is for the water cooled heads only. the is another pump number for oil cooled heads. there were a few late 2019 models that came with the 2020 eight lobe pumps. yours is a 2019 so if it was a late year manufacture you may have the new pump. a good parts tech at the dlr could tell you but most not so much. if it were mine i would just open it up and look.

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
the m8 pre 2020 pumps are not fine. the new pump has 40 percent more scavange volume on the scavange side and 20 percent more pressure volume on the pressure side. the easiest way to tell the difference is to count the teeth on the gearator. eight on the new pump ten on the old one. if no one has ever been into the camchest on yours and it's pre 2020 then you have the old pump. of course the old pumps(first two desighns are just not adequate on the scavange side. the pump kit number 62400248 is for the water cooled heads only. the is another pump number for oil cooled heads. there were a few late 2019 models that came with the 2020 eight lobe pumps. yours is a 2019 so if it was a late year manufacture you may have the new pump. a good parts tech at the dlr could tell you but most not so much. if it were mine i would just open it up and look.
Thanks Tommy--I didn't think to mention that there is a different number for the wet and dry bikes.

·
Former Lurker
3,269 Posts
the m8 pre 2020 pumps are not fine. the new pump has 40 percent more scavange volume on the scavange side and 20 percent more pressure volume on the pressure side. the easiest way to tell the difference is to count the teeth on the gearator. eight on the new pump ten on the old one. if no one has ever been into the camchest on yours and it's pre 2020 then you have the old pump. of course the old pumps(first two desighns are just not adequate on the scavange side. the pump kit number 62400248 is for the water cooled heads only. the is another pump number for oil cooled heads. there were a few late 2019 models that came with the 2020 eight lobe pumps. yours is a 2019 so if it was a late year manufacture you may have the new pump. a good parts tech at the dlr could tell you but most not so much. if it were mine i would just open it up and look.
Thank you. This exactly the info I was looking for.

·
weird member
2,617 Posts
Isn't the throttle body like the modern FI equivalent of the carburetor?

Then yeah, getting a larger TB won't help. Larger or ported manifold maybe (is the intake manifold even separate from the TB on bikes these days?), but just a cam and air cleaner (stage 1 and 2 upgrades) doesn't need a new TB, or even a larger manifold for that matter. Head flow and pull will determine when to go larger (hot stage 3 or 4). There was actually a procedure listed in a book for carbed bikes about how to determine what size carb to get based on bench testing a vacuum pull or something if you really wanted to get precise about it.

Only when the engine is hot-rodded enough to be able to pull more than what the stock TB (or carb on older bikes) can deliver would you benefit from said upgrade.

·
old scoot coot
4,253 Posts
Thanks Tommy--I didn't think to mention that there is a different number for the wet and dry bikes.
yea sett. the oil cooled bikes are not necessarily dry. they don't actually have radiators for water and antifreeze mix but they do have oil coolers which cool the oil the same way water is cooled by radiators. then the cooled oil cools the exhaust valves in the heads same way the water does ours. i'm going batshit crazy spending so much time in the cabin. are the roads clear down there? we could pull your tank tomorrow, put your plugs in. then when you come back to get it we can do a day trip then split up when we head home! that could be as early as monday, maybe.

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
yea sett. the oil cooled bikes are not necessarily dry. they don't actually have radiators for water and antifreeze mix but they do have oil coolers which cool the oil the same way water is cooled by radiators. then the cooled oil cools the exhaust valves in the heads same way the water does ours. i'm going batshit crazy spending so much time in the cabin. are the roads clear down there? we could pull your tank tomorrow, put your plugs in. then when you come back to get it we can do a day trip then split up when we head home! that could be as early as monday, maybe.
Ya--I could sure drive up tomorrow morning---I'm going nutz with boredom. My only concern getting on the bike is the salt on the roads.

·
weird member
2,617 Posts
I'm going nuts with boredom too. Bummed a ride and dropped off my wheels today. I got them off yesterday, and got to inspecting, cleaning and repacking the wheel bearings on the rear but didn't manage to get to the front wheel's bearings, I'll do that when I get them back, though I may not be able to get a ride until Saturday to pick them up.

I guess it's a good thing I'm doing them now, once I got the rear belt guard off, I noticed the belt seemed like it might be a little loose, so I will double check that once I get the wheels back.

·
old scoot coot
4,253 Posts
sett came up today and we put some new spark plugs in his bike. he's ready to roll now. i went in and threw a load of clothes in washer. sumbich i washed another phone. that's either six in five years or seven in six. may be a while before i get a new one. wife is in charge of phones so i will never own a smart phone. next one may be a burner for all i know. i was supposed to take phone back this time so they could make sure my phone book was backed up. i didn't. so far they have never been able to retrieve my phone book on any of my "cleaned" ones. oh well cancer is a problem that was just another phone. have a good evening all. im good now it's been really quiet since my arse was chewed. i think my evening will be nice and quiet now.:)

·
Registered
Mr. James
893 Posts
sett came up today and we put some new spark plugs in his bike. he's ready to roll now. i went in and threw a load of clothes in washer. sumbich i washed another phone. that's either six in five years or seven in six. may be a while before i get a new one. wife is in charge of phones so i will never own a smart phone. next one may be a burner for all i know. i was supposed to take phone back this time so they could make sure my phone book was backed up. i didn't. so far they have never been able to retrieve my phone book on any of my "cleaned" ones. oh well cancer is a problem that was just another phone. have a good evening all. im good now it's been really quiet since my arse was chewed. i think my evening will be nice and quiet now.:)
I can't tell you how many times I washed money. Back when I was married she would get mad at me until I suggested that instead of complaining she could just keep the money. That worked pretty good at breaking me of that habit. She made $200 one day and made sure I didn't live it down. Wouldn't even give me some booty unless I gave her more money. She really, I mean REALLY, didn't appreciate the comment of "so now you are a whore on top of being a bitch?". It was a long cold lonely night lol

·
American
27,826 Posts
I can't tell you how many times I washed money. Back when I was married she would get mad at me until I suggested that instead of complaining she could just keep the money. That worked pretty good at breaking me of that habit. She made $200 one day and made sure I didn't live it down. Wouldn't even give me some booty unless I gave her more money. She really, I mean REALLY, didn't appreciate the comment of "so now you are a whore on top of being a bitch?". It was a long cold lonely night lol
Huh, you say that like you were expecting a different result! Lol

·
Registered
40,724 Posts
That plan of yours to get out of laundry detail isnt working. :(

6861 - 6880 of 6927 Posts